New Coby 7022-4G

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Did you root your Coby for it to see the wifi signal? I have 3 different laptops that can all see the wifi signal from my rooted phone, however the Coby just doesn't see it. Lastly, what version of wireless tether are you running on the evo?

Its the one from the market. If your phone only does ad hoc then you will have to root your tablet n make some changes. What phone do u have.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Just picked up my 7022 for $179 from Toys R Us (thanks to this forum) and by the way, the $25 gift card deal ends today, so you'd better hurry if you want to get in on the deal.

I used this forum & this youtube video to get android market running on it
It took a little work, I couldn't find the folder on the sd card on it's explorer, so I ended up putting "hack" folder on the built in sd card and it worked fine.

The only problem I have with the Kyros is the wifi seems incredibly weak. I have to be within 30' of my router to get a decent signal. And I've got a new router that all of my other decives see just fine everywhere in the house and out into the yard. Any "fixes" for wireless strength?

Thanks
Fil

Install advanced wifi fix free. I think you might be getting .50 mbps wifi speed

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

dedgeu2

Jul 11, 2011
I just got some GreatShield protectors for my 7022 from Amazon, Pack of 3 for 9.98, but very good. They are for HTC Flyer and are just a hair large, but easy to trim and install. Also got a case with usb keyboard for 17.98 that is pretty good too. By the way, Radio Shack has frequent sales on their micro SDHC cards at great prices. They sell Micro SDHC, SDHC and USB flash for the same price.
I am interested in your keyboard case review. Did the 7022 fit nicely? If you can post pictures of your setup I would appreciate it. I may get that one too or the one nba1341 got. Thanks.

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
Dedgeu2: the case fits fine. The keyboard works well, it's nice having numbers and letters without shifting. Great for reading in Kindle, turn pages wth the arrow keys. Not sure how durable the keyboard will be. The onlt bad thing is the full size usb connector, have to use an adaptor. I'm working up nerve to splice a mini connector onto the keyboard. The screen shields are great, too.

dedgeu2

Jul 11, 2011
Dedgeu2: the case fits fine. The keyboard works well, it's nice having numbers and letters without shifting. Great for reading in Kindle, turn pages wth the arrow keys. Not sure how durable the keyboard will be. The onlt bad thing is the full size usb connector, have to use an adaptor. I'm working up nerve to splice a mini connector onto the keyboard. The screen shields are great, too.

Thanks rpcantrell! I will look into getting both the case and the shields.

recording_fil

Jul 19, 2011
Install advanced wifi fix free. I think you might be getting .50 mbps wifi speed

Thanks nba1341,

I installed it and my wifi speed increased, but it's still on the slow side

Download = 1.171mb
Upload = 0.734mp

Those are up from 0.5 both ways before hand.

Now to figure out how to root my Droid X running Honeycomb so my daughter can stream netflix on the Kyros in the car...

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Thanks nba1341,

I installed it and my wifi speed increased, but it's still on the slow side

Download = 1.171mb
Upload = 0.734mp

Those are up from 0.5 both ways before hand.

Now to figure out how to root my Droid X running Honeycomb so my daughter can stream netflix on the Kyros in the car...

I thought so too but the speed test does not necessarily mean your top speed. Follow me for a second. Yesterday I did a test and it said my download speed was 1mb. Afterwards my wifi tether on my phone reported 2-3 mb while I tested the netflix 1080p app.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
I average around 3.5 m download on my 7022 with my home wifi. Occasionly it will drop to .5 and I have to restart the tab. Lately I have been getting 11m download with my Optimus V using the same wifi.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
I average around 3.5 m download on my 7022 with my home wifi. Occasionly it will drop to .5 and I have to restart the tab. Lately I have been getting 11m download with my Optimus V using the same wifi.

advanced wifi lock free fixes that problem with .5mbps. My Averages are also 3.95/3.43/3.83/4.45/3.84 even though I get 6-8mbps on my phone and 20mbps on any laptop. Although I am not sure what you need more than 3.5? Like daprospecta said ive never had anything slow down when playing videos from internet via flash or mobile video player.

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
I just got me a 500gb portable hard drive at Walmart for $50. Plugged in the USB and the 7022 recognized and mounted it as SCSIsda1. It has 170 Gigs of movies on it and they play perfectly on Rockstar. THe HD probably uses a lot of battery, so I Used ES file manger and moved a movie to a vdieo folder on the sdcard. Took just a second or two for 600mb to copy. Plays perfectly off the sd. Cool! I will experimet some more with it and check out the battery drain and speed if I can figure out how. I used ES just to see if it would work. Root explorer will probably work better.

Oops. The copy was not quite that fast. I started copying instantly, and showed up in the new directory, and even played from the new directory, but it takes a while to actually copy from hd to sd. More later.

Last edited:

XRing

Jul 5, 2011
The only problem I have with the Kyros is the wifi seems incredibly weak. I have to be within 30' of my router to get a decent signal. And I've got a new router that all of my other decives see just fine everywhere in the house and out into the yard. Any "fixes" for wireless strength?

Thanks
Fil

I took mine on a road trip, and could see hot-spots from cars on the highway.
One SSID was "Greyhound" and I didn't even see the bus!
It worked very well with weak signals at the hotel too.
At home, I've run a Speed test app and found that speed drops off after 30 to 40 feet. The walls absorb a lot of the signal.
Line-of-sight, directly looking at the router antenna is good out to 80 to 100 feet.

I've found it works good indoors, in the front yard (router is near a front window), but not well at all in the backyard.
Seems the signals can't penetrate 4 or 5 walls, before reaching the back deck.

elmonica

Jul 22, 2011
I just got me a 500gb portable hard drive at Walmart for $50. Plugged in the USB and the 7022 recognized and mounted it as SCSIsda1. It has 170 Gigs of movies on it and they play perfectly on Rockstar. THe HD probably uses a lot of battery, so I Used ES file manger and moved a movie to a vdieo folder on the sdcard. Took just a second or two for 600mb to copy. Plays perfectly off the sd. Cool! I will experimet some more with it and check out the battery drain and speed if I can figure out how. I used ES just to see if it would work. Root explorer will probably work better.

Oops. The copy was not quite that fast. I started copying instantly, and showed up in the new directory, and even played from the new directory, but it takes a while to actually copy from hd to sd. More later.

I was wondering if the USB port would work with external hard drives. I haven't seen a 7" tablet with full USB port on it other than Coby's. I guess then that a USB flash drive would work as well. Can somebody confirm that you can watch a movie that is stored on a flash drive?

Thanks.

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
Yeah, no problem. I put a video folder on the drive, and plug it into my computer and load it up. I have had 4 or 5 on the drive at the same time. You can watch using the built in player, or download several others. I am using Rockstar right now. The movied play very smooth, the picture is great, and I have had no problems. If you stop in the middle, the player remembers where you were. You can either use ES file manager, just go to the file and click it, or some players have built in file managers.

I just tested the little portable Hard drive. I watched an hour and fifteen minutes of movie on a full charge with the HD plugged in before the low battery warning came on. I plugged in the charger and finished the moveie, and the battery was back up to 73% by then.

Watching a movie from the sd card is the best way. The battery lasts 2 or 3 hours this way. I have also streamed them to my tv with a hdmi cable. Wonderful picture.

By the way, the flash drive mounts as a scsi drive. You find it in the settings under storage after you plug it in and the system finds it and mounts it. You should unmount it here before you remove it. I usually put my stuff on the sd card to leave the usb free for a little keyboard built in the case i'm using.

I love my little 7022!

Last edited:

elmonica

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks. I don't have much experience with these tablets. Would you consider the battery life to be comparable with other tablets of this size in the marketplace?