New Coby 7022-4G

kerrickter

Jul 8, 2011
I just got me a 500gb portable hard drive at Walmart for $50. Plugged in the USB and the 7022 recognized and mounted it as SCSIsda1. It has 170 Gigs of movies on it and they play perfectly on Rockstar. THe HD probably uses a lot of battery, so I Used ES file manger and moved a movie to a vdieo folder on the sdcard. Took just a second or two for 600mb to copy. Plays perfectly off the sd. Cool! I will experimet some more with it and check out the battery drain and speed if I can figure out how. I used ES just to see if it would work. Root explorer will probably work better.

Oops. The copy was not quite that fast. I started copying instantly, and showed up in the new directory, and even played from the new directory, but it takes a while to actually copy from hd to sd. More later.

I am streaming all my movies from a shared folder hosted on a windows vista computer. I open the movies with ES Explorer and play them MoboPlayer.

bzegil

Jul 16, 2011
Finally had some time yesterday to play with my 7022, thanks to all the help in this forum, I was able to do the following: Install the new market, install clockworkmod recovery, got it rooted, install flash, netflix and a bunch of other stuff so I am pretty much very happy with it so far. The only problem I am still having is to get it to tether to my rooted Sprint Optimus S, and this is the feature that I need the most. I bought the 7022 mainly for when I am away from home and so far without the ability to tether its been pretty useless for my needs. I'll keep searching, however if someone have a solution please let me know, I will be forever grateful.

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
I use quick settings on my optimus v to turn on Wifi hotspot. My 7022 recognises it as android ap and will connect to it.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

bzegil

Jul 16, 2011
I use quick settings on my optimus v to turn on Wifi hotspot. My 7022 recognises it as android ap and will connect to it.

Thanks a bunch, that did the trick. Quick question, will this trigger the extra charge for wireless hotspots from Sprint? I've always use wifi tether in the past and it worked perfectly except now I cannot get it to work with the 7022. I do not want to incur additional charges from Sprint, did you notice additional charges with your Optimus V? Or are you paying for the wireless hotspot?

zac

Mar 8, 2011
Hello all :

Can somebody please clarify something for me with regards to my new and "cool" Coby Kyros 7022-4G (Android 2.3)

When I use the default file browser ES File Explorer it takes me to a default location {Local} /sdcard/

This is the same even if I don't have my 1G Micro SD Card plugged in ... How can this be ???

My understanding is that it actually is pointing to the inbuilt NAND (4G) drive and calling it as sdcard

Question is if this is so then when I go to an application and send it to SDcard it actually is not moving the app to my Micro Sd instead to the inbuilt 4G drive which is not what I expect ...

Please advice what is happening here ........

If that is so then how can I actually redirect my apps to my micro SD card

Thanks for all your replies,

Regards,

Zac

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Hello all :

Can somebody please clarify something for me with regards to my new and "cool" Coby Kyros 7022-4G (Android 2.3)

When I use the default file browser ES File Explorer it takes me to a default location {Local} /sdcard/

This is the same even if I don't have my 1G Micro SD Card plugged in ... How can this be ???

My understanding is that it actually is pointing to the inbuilt NAND (4G) drive and calling it as sdcard

Question is if this is so then when I go to an application and send it to SDcard it actually is not moving the app to my Micro Sd instead to the inbuilt 4G drive which is not what I expect ...

Regards,

Zac

That is the 4gb hard drive minus the android operating system that came with the tablet. If u have a SD card plugged in u can access it under the tflash folder.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Hello all :

Regards,

Zac

The sdcard is actually built in 4Gb. To access microsd card in the home folder you will see a folder called tflash, this is the micro sd card. Hope this helps

bzegil

Jul 16, 2011
I'm on a flat rate with Virgin Mobile. I don't know about Sprint.

I guess I'm good, there is a Thread over at Android Central that talks about the Optimus and the Hotspot hack. Thanks again for the info, this was my last hurdle so now I will crash in my La-Z-Boy and start enjoying my rooted 7022.

zac

Mar 8, 2011
Thank you all for your kind replies.

According to what you've said the SDcard is actually built in the Tablet and is not removable or replacable once it is filled ...

In other words there is a limit to the amout of apps or games you can download and use which is determined by that inbuilt SDcard .. am I right ???

Just to give you an example I downloaded the Bible from the market and i am guessing it took a whole lot of space from my inbuilt SDcard ..

My question is .. Is there a way to actually move that application to the MicroSD card that I insert.

That way if I try to run that app without the specific MicroSD card in it, it should give a warning like "Required files not found - Do you want the app to reinstall the files "

I was under the impression that Android 2.3 gave the capability of moving the file to an external storage media... guess I was wrong

By the way I like the tablet very much and only wish that it could be a bit more robust.

Once again thank you all for your kind help and support without which people like me would be completely lost.

Special thanks to "daprospecta" for that amazing video on how to install "Android Market without rooting" I used that and it worked like a charm.

Now my question is can somebody make a similar video on " How to install CM7 and Clockwork mod" on 7022-4G ??

As "daprospecta" mentioned in one of his threads, I purchased the Tablet from Toysrus and took the replacement plan so would like to push this Tablet to its possible limit.

Thank you all ... great community here ..

Best regards.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Thank you all for your kind replies.

According to what you've said the SDcard is actually built in the Tablet and is not removable or replacable once it is filled ...

In other words there is a limit to the amout of apps or games you can download and use which is determined by that inbuilt SDcard .. am I right ???

Just to give you an example I downloaded the Bible from the market and i am guessing it took a whole lot of space from my inbuilt SDcard ..

My question is .. Is there a way to actually move that application to the MicroSD card that I insert.

That way if I try to run that app without the specific MicroSD card in it, it should give a warning like "Required files not found - Do you want the app to reinstall the files "

I was under the impression that Android 2.3 gave the capability of moving the file to an external storage media... guess I was wrong

By the way I like the tablet very much and only wish that it could be a bit more robust.

Once again thank you all for your kind help and support without which people like me would be completely lost.

Special thanks to "daprospecta" for that amazing video on how to install "Android Market without rooting" I used that and it worked like a charm.

Now my question is can somebody make a similar video on " How to install CM7 and Clockwork mod" on 7022-4G ??

As "daprospecta" mentioned in one of his threads, I purchased the Tablet from Toysrus and took the replacement plan so would like to push this Tablet to its possible limit.

Thank you all ... great community here ..

Best regards.

The nand memory 4gb is a physical sd card which is why gingerbread moves apps only there.

If you want to move your apps to your external micro sd you need an app called link2sd (great app I use it on my phone) in order to use link2sd you need to root your tablet which requires clockworkmod recovery.

Go to the tech section daprospecta posted how to install clockworkmod. Its a sticky thread. CM7 is something you need to read into before installing also a link in that thread. Last I checked cm7 was giving our tablets nonresponsive touch screen plus no hdmi/camera. That might have changed so read fun's thread over at xda (link in daprospectas sticky)

zoedogedog

Jul 7, 2011
How did you get the market on here? I am very new to android tablets and would love to figure out how to do that?

Last edited:

zac

Mar 8, 2011
Thank you nba1341 for your reply. I'll do that

I guess I need to know more about "clockwork mod recovery" like what is it used for and such. same with CM7.

@ zoedogedog : Just do a search on youtube for Coby Kyros 7022 and you won't miss that very detailed video on adding the market witout rooting created by "daprospecta"

The only thing you have to note is once you move over your files to the SDcard and browse thru the tablet's file explorer look into the folder named tflash to find your files. Good luck.

Best Regards.

dedgeu2

Jul 11, 2011
Thank you nba1341 for your reply. I'll do that

I guess I need to know more about "clockwork mod recovery" like what is it used for and such. same with CM7.

@ zoedogedog : Just do a search on youtube for Coby Kyros 7022 and you won't miss that very detailed video on adding the market witout rooting created by "daprospecta"

The only thing you have to note is once you move over your files to the SDcard and browse thru the tablet's file explorer look into the folder named tflash to find your files. Good luck.

Best Regards.

Hi Zac,

Another option for you without rooting is APP2SD which is a free app from the Amazon Market which allows you to move applications from your device to an external SD card (and vice versa). I have it on my Coby Kyros 7022 and it works very well.