New Coby 7022-4G

zac

Mar 8, 2011
Thank you.

Did anybody figure out a way to actually modify the path while sendnig an 'app to SD' to actually route it to the external SD card, of course on a rooted MID 7022-4G ??

fun

Aug 19, 2010
Thank you.

Did anybody figure out a way to actually modify the path while sendnig an 'app to SD' to actually route it to the external SD card, of course on a rooted MID 7022-4G ??

I don't have 7022 so it may be wrong...

make backup 1st, then try to change /system/etc/vold.fstab
before
Code:
dev_asec_mount nand /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/ndda default
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/tflash auto /devices/platform/tcc-sdhc0.0/mmc_host/mmc0
after
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/tcc-sdhc0.0/mmc_host/mmc0
#dev_asec_mount nand /mnt/sdcard/nand auto /devices/virtual/block/ndda default

2nd line may not work so commented out now. please uncomment & modify if you need internal nand

kidd777

Jul 30, 2011
Had to drop in my 2 cents on this tablet. Had it for a week now. Impressed with the performance for the price. Is it the Galaxy Tab 7? No. But it also doesn't require a 2 year contract for a data plan. This sucker is fast and very useful. It is a nice middle of the road tablet at a great value.

Out of the box it will not hold up to the bigger brands. The goofy market app and no flash is going to suck for people that don't know how to use google. A few simple searches show you how to get this guy setup and tweaked. If you don't want to waste your time searching, here is my list of tweaks to get you started.

First, get the Market installed...
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/17460-got-market-working-7022-without-rooting.html

Now open the market and install Adobe Flash and Dolphin Browser HD (I changed my Dolphin Browser agent to desktop and enabled plugins so that it acts mostly like a workstation browser.) Simple enough. But there are some apps that don't like the hardware you are running. Biggest one for me was Facebook. So...
Facebook for Android 1.6.1 - APKTOP
Good start but when I look at the battery log there is always this Phone Idle deal eating up my battery life. Well there is some debate on if this is true or a glitch but lets get rid of it anyways. Make sure to join your wireless connection and then turn on Airplane mode to disable the wireless. Now exit out to your home, and add the Power Control widget. Here you can turn on your wireless while still being in Airplane mode. It is strange but true. The other method is to root the phone and rename the Phone.apk to something like Phone.old. Rooting is fun so lets do that next.

Head over here and follow the directions for loading up Clockwork Mod Recovery 4...
[DEV] unofficial CyanogenMod 7/ClockworkMod Recovery 4 for TCC8902/TCC8803 tablets - xda-developers
Once you get Clockwork on there, head over here and follow post #8 to add the super user app...
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2/17889-video-hulu-working-coby-kyros-7022-a.html

Super user is installed and happy, so lets go to the market and find us a free root file explorer. Search for Super Manager. Install, open, hit up the File Explorer and grant super user rights. Now navigate to /system/apps and change to R/W when prompted. Find Phone.apk and rename to Phone.old and watch the force close windows pop up like mad. Reboot your tablet and all is well. (may need to tap the reset button on the back.)

Now is the really boring part. Go ahead and start moving all apps to SD that will let you. (You can go into the Super Manager settings and check the APP2SD Reminder to have it tell you if an app can move to the SD whenever it gets installed.)

After that, you can add the Advanced Wifi Lock Free to your tablet if you are having wireless speed issues like I did. It cleared that issue right up.

Now you have a tablet with Root, no misc cell wireless app running in the background, full market, fixed Wifi, apps moved to the SD, desktop and mobile web browsers. Not bad for $180.

A couple glitches with the device...
The capacitive screen is not the best. The touch is not as sensitive as an ipad or even my Droid 2 phone. Sometimes I have to hold down for a half a second before I can scroll or flip through screens or pull down the info bar.

There is a delay when downloading apps from the market, via the android market on the tablet or the web based. I have had to wait for several minutes before the download started.

The Gallery app tries to pull down pictures from Picasa but it doesn't always work. I will get a low quality pic and then sometimes it will go high res, other times it won't. Haven't found a setting for this so I just use Picasa Tool to download the pics I want.

If you get a case with a built in keyboard, the keyboard can be used for the built in hardware keys. Esc = back, F1 = Menu, Home = Home, and End = Power.

That's about it. All in all a good little tablet that suits my casual needs. Now it is time to wipe it out and exchange it. Mine has a dead pixel that is driving me bonkers.

Last edited by a moderator:

zac

Mar 8, 2011
Thank you all for your kind replies. I'll give them a try.

Thanks again and regards.

Zac.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Had to drop in my 2 cents on this tablet. Had it for a week now. Impressed with the performance for the price. Is it the Galaxy Tab 7? No. But it also doesn't require a 2 year contract for a data plan. This sucker is fast and very useful. It is a nice middle of the road tablet at a great value.

Out of the box it will not hold up to the bigger brands. The goofy market app and no flash is going to suck for people that don't know how to use google. A few simple searches show you how to get this guy setup and tweaked. If you don't want to waste your time searching, here is my list of tweaks to get you started.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2-technical/17460-got-market-working-7022-without-rooting.html

Now open the market and install Adobe Flash and Dolphin Browser HD (I changed my Dolphin Browser agent to desktop and enabled plugins so that it acts mostly like a workstation browser.) Simple enough. But there are some apps that don't like the hardware you are running. Biggest one for me was Facebook. So...
Good start but when I look at the battery log there is always this Phone Idle deal eating up my battery life. Well there is some debate on if this is true or a glitch but lets get rid of it anyways. Make sure to join your wireless connection and then turn on Airplane mode to disable the wireless. Now exit out to your home, and add the Power Control widget. Here you can turn on your wireless while still being in Airplane mode. It is strange but true. The other method is to root the phone and rename the Phone.apk to something like Phone.old. Rooting is fun so lets do that next.

Head over here and follow the directions for loading up Clockwork Mod Recovery 4...
[DEV] unofficial CyanogenMod 7/ClockworkMod Recovery 4 for TCC8902/TCC8803 tablets - xda-developers
Once you get Clockwork on there, head over here and follow post #8 to add the super user app...
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2/17889-video-hulu-working-coby-kyros-7022-a.html

Super user is installed and happy, so lets go to the market and find us a free root file explorer. Search for Super Manager. Install, open, hit up the File Explorer and grant super user rights. Now navigate to /system/apps and change to R/W when prompted. Find Phone.apk and rename to Phone.old and watch the force close windows pop up like mad. Reboot your tablet and all is well. (may need to tap the reset button on the back.)

Now is the really boring part. Go ahead and start moving all apps to SD that will let you. (You can go into the Super Manager settings and check the APP2SD Reminder to have it tell you if an app can move to the SD whenever it gets installed.)

After that, you can add the Advanced Wifi Lock Free to your tablet if you are having wireless speed issues like I did. It cleared that issue right up.

Now you have a tablet with Root, no misc cell wireless app running in the background, full market, fixed Wifi, apps moved to the SD, desktop and mobile web browsers. Not bad for $180.

The capacitive screen is not the best. The touch is not as sensitive as an ipad or even my Droid 2 phone. Sometimes I have to hold down for a half a second before I can scroll or flip through screens or pull down the info bar.

There is a delay when downloading apps from the market, via the android market on the tablet or the web based. I have had to wait for several minutes before the download started.

The Gallery app tries to pull down pictures from Picasa but it doesn't always work. I will get a low quality pic and then sometimes it will go high res, other times it won't. Haven't found a setting for this so I just use Picasa Tool to download the pics I want.

If you get a case with a built in keyboard, the keyboard can be used for the built in hardware keys. Esc = back, F1 = Menu, Home = Home, and End = Power.

That's about it. All in all a good little tablet that suits my casual needs. Now it is time to wipe it out and exchange it. Mine has a dead pixel that is driving me bonkers.

Great great post!

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

zac

Mar 8, 2011

100% agree great post. Good for another sticky ...

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

Devedander

Jul 21, 2011
Has anyone found the accelerometer is off by 90 degrees in this thing? It seems that left right and up down tilt are flipped making most games and tilt apps useless...

Any suggestions on how to fix?

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Has anyone found the accelerometer is off by 90 degrees in this thing? It seems that left right and up down tilt are flipped making most games and tilt apps useless...

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Custom rom which is possible because the kernel has been released yet

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

bzegil

Jul 16, 2011
Has anyone tried uninstalling some of the system apps such as Aldiko and AppsLib from the 7022? Is it even possible? If so, did you have stability issues after removing? I am currently rooted and looking for a way to get rid of some of these programs that I know I will never use. Give me your thoughts or insight on this please.

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Has anyone tried uninstalling some of the system apps such as Aldiko and AppsLib from the 7022? Is it even possible? If so, did you have stability issues after removing? I am currently rooted and looking for a way to get rid of some of these programs that I know I will never use. Give me your thoughts or insight on this please.
Since your rooted just go to system>apps then delete the apk or rename it to .old I tried it with Aldiko and don't have any problems.

bzegil

Jul 16, 2011
Since your rooted just go to system>apps then delete the apk or rename it to .old I tried it with Aldiko and don't have any problems.

Thanks, that worked. I was mainly concerned that it might leave the 7022 unstable, but so far its ok.

ohayo

Jun 25, 2011
I'm having a problem 7022, which is that it does not support Arabic
It dose show the letters but they are not linked together, so I can't read them... any idea how I could make it support Arabic ?

zac

Mar 8, 2011
Please note: this is a repost

Is there any way to set titanium backup to backup to the external micro SD ???

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum