Off-Topic Discussion

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
spot on LS - really ahead of his time - yeas that episode is a precursor to virtual reality and the truman show - but what i love about it is in despite the technology the military had, it boils down to human emotions

now this got me going so i went to youtube and just watched "The Gift' - another excellent episode with parallels to some of the xenophobia still seen today

But this Twilight Zone is, if I am not mistaken the first time the idea of "Virtual Reality" was ever presented on television.* Obviously not by that title as it wasn't widely used yet, but if you watch until the end I beg you to argue that it wasn't the specific intent of the genius behind the lens.

As it happens he also seems to wield a rather sharp wit and wanton disregard for the marketing/advertising of consumer products during his program.:)

:rolleyes:Which I think is brilliant. Adblock+ anyone?:rolleyes:

So enjoy the first installment of Cafe de Nook Wednesday Night Theater,

Presented by,

Local Stain

*Please point me to any other early examples as this is a subject that fascinates me no end.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
ok if i might be so bold to introduce machinima to this thread - so i am not talking about the thousands of shooting videos you see from gamers - there is a community of story tellers, writers, voice actors and musicians who like making movies and use animation as a way to put it together. Sure the animation is not to the caliber of pixar or disney but if you can get past that, the film making techniques and script writing are very good.

Here's a video created by one of the more talented members of the community. It was made for the 48 hour film project

The Bone Orchard by Jorge Campos
[video=vimeo;14945437]http://vimeo.com/14945437[/video]

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Off topic: At lunch today, found these 23" monitors on clearance at walmart for $100 each. They had five left, picked up four. :)

Amazon.com: HP S2331 23-Inch Diagonal LCD Monitor - Black: Computer & Accessories
IMAG0378.jpg

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That's a pretty smokin' deal. Link them together and have a nice big display. Or put one on each side of you and create a virtual reality box (just don't forget to have some human interaction once in a while).

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Off topic: At lunch today, found these 23" monitors on clearance at walmart for $100 each. They had five left, picked up four. :)

Amazon.com: HP S2331 23-Inch Diagonal LCD Monitor - Black: Computer & Accessories
IMAG0378.jpg

Nicely done Rico, and...

Welcome Back to the Cafe de Nook. We've made a number of improvements since your last visit.

What do you think?

Anima's render is just off the hook huh?

WE OPENED THE RESTAURANT TONIGHT!!!!!

Only 160 nights to go!!!!

First night with a sautee pan in my had in 5 months and it was like I never left. Kinda slow but lots of regulars came in to say hello...

All in all it was a rather spectacular day. Sad thing is after almost 5 months of doing very little starting tomorrow I am in full time+ mode. House painter by day and hash slinger by night. On the plus I am going to keep my Nikon close by in the kitchen this summer so you guys can see my food. This is a cafe after all, we gotta have food.

:rolleyes:I love my kitchen and we cook beautiful food:rolleyes:

I'm glad you guys enjoyed wed night theater. I have a lot more tricks up my sleeve but I was wondering if anyone can tell me if/how I can embed videos I have in Google docs or Dropbox. I tried a few times with Gdocs and it was a no-go but I can move them around if need be. I am open to any suggestions and thanks for all the great input.

This is a great thread.

Until I get might videos sorted I will give you something of a preview of next weeks video. This is pretty cool....

Last edited by a moderator:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Congratulation Local, I guess we are not going to see you around as much unfotunately... .as long as you come here to my cafe and post your next screenshot on my thread, I'll be happy.

Gg
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I will still stop by as often as I can. Prolly everyday actually as this has become my place to unwind, as it should be. It'll just be early in morn or late at light. I just won't be lurking around the corners all day as I have been for the last couple of weeks. TeeHee.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
TV Show Tangent: My wife introduced me to an awesome new show lastnight.. The Killing, on AMC.. It's a CSI-like show about the killing of a young girl. Instead of weekly shows about new crimes, it's one long show covering the investigation of just one. It's nothing short of amazing so far. Anyone else watching it?

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I like the idea of an off topic area here, just wish the mods would give it its own sub-forum. One ginormously long thread is a bit unwieldy.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think so far we have a case.

Sub forum Cafe' de Nook threads so far:
- This main thread
- TV/Movies/Film
- Music
- Photos

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
raVenJ i just checked this out on On Demand and man am i hooked - great acting and a very engaging storyline

thanks for the heads up

TV Show Tangent: My wife introduced me to an awesome new show lastnight.. The Killing, on AMC.. It's a CSI-like show about the killing of a young girl. Instead of weekly shows about new crimes, it's one long show covering the investigation of just one. It's nothing short of amazing so far. Anyone else watching it?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011

Will check it when I have time. "Breaking Bad" was the shizzle.

I like the idea of an off topic area here, just wish the mods would give it its own sub-forum. One ginormously long thread is a bit unwieldy.

I think so far we have a case.

Sub forum Cafe' de Nook threads so far:
- This main thread
- TV/Movies/Film
- Music
- Photos

:cool:Couldn't agree more! Draw up the petition and I'll sign! Hehheheh. :cool:

I'm sure the mods would be supportive. I think we ought to have a proper welcome page with Anima's render splashed all over like an Virtual Ricks from "Casablanca" New visitors can get their screenshot featured on the bar. separate seating for discussions on the topics mentioned above. Maybe bring Gloria's screenshot thread into the mix.

Come to think of it this is technically her thread so I think she just needs to update the op etc and at least we'll be on our way...

That's it for me be back soon, busy weekend. Thanks for all the positive vibes....

Last edited by a moderator: