[Rom][Howto] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 . . The most popular Rom for gTablet

n4mrc

Jul 28, 2011
I did some testing with my gTablet that is running VEGAN GE. I discovered that if I install the latest version of the launcher (v1.6.2) the market will update to a newer version which then force closes every time you run it. The pattern (on the updated launcher) was... open market for the first time, it works, second time it has updated and FCs, go to Application and uninstall the updates for the Market app, open Market, Market works, close, re-open, Market has updated and FCs, lather, rinse, repeat. YMMV but I have read other posts where people have run into this same issue. I figured out that if you stay on the launcher that is bundled with GE, the Market will not update (at least not while I was testing last night for over an hour) and will continue to work. I did try swapping back to the bundled launcher but it seems the damage has already been done. I did not try uninstalling the 1.6.2 launcher, perhaps that might help. What I did do (since I was setting up a new gTablet anyway) was to boot into ClockworkMod, do a factory reset/wipe data, then reboot. Go through the setup as normal, just don't install the updated launcher. As I said, I tested the Market on the bundled launcher for over an hour, I closed and reopened the Market app and even rebooted a couple of times and it worked every time.

n4mrc

Jul 28, 2011

Now I'm not sure if I downloaded 1.6.2 or 1.6.5. I will have to look on my PC at home where I downloaded the files.

I don't see any mention of a Market FC fix at the link provided. I'll follow up later when I get home and see what version I actually downloaded. I would still be very hesitant to install any updated launcher until I found out if the issue with the Market is fixed. I'm surprised there is not more discussion on this issue. I tried the procedures several times and got the same results every time. I know I'm not the only one to experience it but it surprises me that, on the one hand, GE seems to be very popular but on the other not many people are talking about having this issue. Maybe they also skipped installing the updated launcher.

One other question, I installed the 2.6.32.41 kernel but I see that there is now a 2.6.32.43 version, what is the benefit of .43 over .41?

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I installed the new Pershoot kernel now my tablet wont boot it just goes to CWM on its own

You may have selected 'reboot into recovery' rather than 'reboot system now'. Not sure if there is a more convenient way to get out of this other than nvflashing.

Dave

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I tried both ways of rebooting and even turned it off completely still just does the continuous cycle

Understood. You need nvflashing to get your tablet working again, unless someone else has better idea.

Dave

Corvette

Jun 6, 2011
I did some testing with my gTablet that is running VEGAN GE. I discovered that if I install the latest version of the launcher (v1.6.2) the market will update to a newer version which then force closes every time you run it. The pattern (on the updated launcher) was... open market for the first time, it works, second time it has updated and FCs, go to Application and uninstall the updates for the Market app, open Market, Market works, close, re-open, Market has updated and FCs, lather, rinse, repeat. YMMV but I have read other posts where people have run into this same issue. I figured out that if you stay on the launcher that is bundled with GE, the Market will not update (at least not while I was testing last night for over an hour) and will continue to work. I did try swapping back to the bundled launcher but it seems the damage has already been done. I did not try uninstalling the 1.6.2 launcher, perhaps that might help. What I did do (since I was setting up a new gTablet anyway) was to boot into ClockworkMod, do a factory reset/wipe data, then reboot. Go through the setup as normal, just don't install the updated launcher. As I said, I tested the Market on the bundled launcher for over an hour, I closed and reopened the Market app and even rebooted a couple of times and it worked every time.

I put this ROM on my tablet a few days ago, and the same thing is happening to me, except I am still on the VTL version that comes with the ROM. So maybe it has nothing to do with the launcher?

pplui

Aug 9, 2011
newbie question:
How to add the "background apps" icon of the 3rd post?
$gtab.jpg

jjewell

Apr 26, 2011
for people with the new market update problem the solution is very simple. i found this over at xda tried and it has been working non stop for 3 days.
go to settings
select language & keyboard
select language
select english (united states)

your done

Davy49

Aug 13, 2011
Hello All,
I tried to flash my gTab today with this ROM using the proper version of ClockWorkMod, I have ver.1.2 bootloader, I followed all of the instructions, but never did get it to flash properly. Thank goodness I made a backup image, so I was able to restore back to what I was previously using.
David :confused:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hello All,
I tried to flash my gTab today with this ROM using the proper version of ClockWorkMod, I have ver.1.2 bootloader, I followed all of the instructions, but never did get it to flash properly. Thank goodness I made a backup image, so I was able to restore back to what I was previously using.
David :confused:
David, I just checked and there are both 1.1 and 1.2 bootloader versions of VEGAn. Can you post the link you downloaded the ROM from?

-Matt