update.zip from Coby (build MID7015A 1.6a 1/26/11)

Garry Cash

Feb 10, 2011
I am new to this, sorry but what does flash_image will have to be pushed onto the tablet via adb mean. and how do i do that. That was the problem i had with loading clockworkmod. I get flash_image : file not found. any help will be great. thanks

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Well, I've discovered something new. With the MID7015A update, they have switched from a fastboot bootloader to FWDN (I was trying to modify boot.img to have ro.secure=0 in default.prop).

Why couldn't they just leave well enough alone???

Edit: somehow by unpacking/repacking the boot.img and only changing the default.prop, i got fastboot mode back and had to reflash the new boot.img. I'm going to try flashing the old boot.img from the original update.zip

Edit 2: flashing the old boot.img from the old update.zip regains ro.secure=0 (root access via adb by default). it boots fine with this boot.img installed with the updated system. :)

Edit 3: fastboot and fwdn co-exist on this tablet. holding the Home button while booting brings up FWDN mode. holding the Menu button starts it in fastboot mode.

@Garry_Cash: adb is the android debugging bridge. it's used to modify the tablet from a PC in ways you can't from the tablet (at least not easily). you can use it to push (upload) files to the tablet without having to mount the sdcard or internal storage. if adbd is running as root on the tablet, you can actually push files directly to system directories without having to first put them on the sdcard and then copy them where they go. adb can also reboot your tablet in various modes (normal, recovery, fastboot/fwdn/bootloader). it's a very useful tool available in the android software development kit (SDK) available from Android Developers. there are instructions for setting it up on that website.

Last edited:

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Seems this new update gets uglier by the minute. Expecting my Kyros any day. I will install one of the previous updates if it has the newer one. Thanks l_n for letting us know.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
i think i'm going to repack this thing with the old update's boot.img, /system/xbin, and other tools restored. i'll post it up when i have it tested/working/etc. i'd rather almost brick mine than risk other people's devices.

Edit: methinks i broke it... bootloops. wiping cache to see if that fixes it.

Last edited:

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
i think i'm going to repack this thing with the old update's boot.img, /system/xbin, and other tools restored. i'll post it up when i have it tested/working/etc. i'd rather almost brick mine than risk other people's devices.

Edit: methinks i broke it... bootloops. wiping cache to see if that fixes it.

You are kind for being the test nerd and attempting to make this tablet better. Thanks a bunch. Plus I'm sure I speak for many when I say I don't understand all the compile/decompile stuff. BTW, as a newbie, how do I officially thank you. I don't see a hot button on the interface here.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
@ l_n ( i'll post it up when i have it tested/working/etc.)
When you get something working and post it, would it work the same way as other updates ? I would just download onto my sdcard root? Then just install thru clockworkmod ?
I don't know to much yet about these things and I'm sure I'll mess something up. And thankyou for the work you keep doing for this tablet...

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Yes, it will be in update.zip format. I'll probably finish it tonight (hopefully).

tim1073

Feb 15, 2011
I installed the latest update from Coby's website and ran into the missing flash_image problem. Before I read this thread, I pulled flash_image from the Android SDK by creating a virtual Android device based on the 2.1-Update1 target, using ADB -s emulator-5554 pull /system/bin/flash_image to pull the file from the virtual device, and then copying it to the sdcard and then into the /system/bin directory on the Kyros. ADB didn't want to let me push it directly to the Kyros. The flash_image from the emulator works fine and I would assume any other executables should be OK also.

roberts1966sm

Feb 15, 2011
Hi i am a PC repair tech, i deal mostly with hardware and i am a complete newbie when it comes to these tablets. I know nothing about programing or codes. I did copy the flash image file to the sdcard. And then tried the cp command that worked for others. I used adb and the emulator both. after typing su and getting the # sign i typed this.
cp /sdcard/flash_image/system/bin/flash_image
then i get this message:

cp /sdcard/flash_image/system/bin/flash_image
busybox v1.17.2 <2010-09-05 03:37:08 CDT> multi-call binary
usage: cp [OPTIONS] SOURCE DEST
copy SOURCE DEST or multiple SOURCES(s) to DIRECTORY

OPTIONS
-a same as dpr
-R,-r recurse
d, -p Preserve symlinks <default -R>
-L follow all symlinks
-H follow symlinks on command line
-p perserve file attributes if possible
-f overwrite
-i promet before overwrite
-l, -s create <sym>links

#

I am completely lost from here. I have never seen this come up in any of the posts. At least not with the options list. Did i do it right? Where do i go from here. I have followed the directions that should work but i don't seem to get any where. Please Help...... Any help would be very much appreciated. I am not sure what i am doing wrong.

Thanks Robert (Rusty) Smith

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
you need to type it exactly like this (including the spaces):
Code:
# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image