Alternate (long) method for ICS on the 7022 (ICS, Gapps, Root)

Jaxmoto

Jun 9, 2012
****This is no longer possible unless you use a German proxy to access the Coby site. They have pulled the update so only that region can access the download.

Ok, here is the process to update the Kyros 7022 to Android 4.0 as well as add root access, Clockwork recovery mod, and Google apps including market. This seems long but most steps are fast. If you pay attention, read carefully and FOLLOW THE STEPS it should be painless.

If you are smart you will install Clockwork to begin with, backup, and that way if it goes wrong you can restore your backup and you don't lose a thing. I HIGHLY recommend this so you can simply recover back to 2.3.3 if you don't like 4.0. If you install 4.0 without backing up there is no way to go back to 2.3.3 without downloading a backup from someone else.

PLEASE NOTE: I personally think that at this point, other than basic web browsing and email, that the 2.3.3 basic install of Android is better. On 2.3 Youtube is smooth, the Netflix app will work, along with Crackle (Netflix-like app that is free) and avi files play a little smoother and sync with audio better. 4.0 is GREAT for the web browser and for the updated GApps, but other than that there are so many compatibility issues I would recommend sticking with 2.3.3.

===============================================================================

Download the following and put it on the base of your SDcard (not in any folder).... (Yes the download sites suck, they are not mine, find better if you can).

* Clockwork Recovery: update.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download - Zach Bolt

* Google Apps: Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

* Superuser (root): http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip

===============================================================================

First, the basic steps to cover the idea of what we are doing...

* Make backups of what you currently have, updating to 4.0 wipes out everything. (Go to step 5 in the second section for info on backing up using Clockwork and "Update.zip").

* Update your system using the Coby German site. Use the Serial shown in the how-to video on the Coby upgrade page. Add a random amount to the last few numbers and try the serial, it may take a few tries.

* Once 4.0 has finished installing you need to access fastboot via a PC and install Clockworkmod.

* Once in clockworkmod recovery install Clcokworkmod again as a zip, making it permanent.

* Install Root access zip via clockwork.

* Install Gapps zip via clockwork.

Done....

Now for the detailed steps....

-- Install Android 4.0

1) Go to Consumer Entertainment Products for Home, Office or On the Go! | COBY ON THE TABLET BROWSER.

2) Click on the link in the bottom right to update. Let it install and open the update app.

3) When it asks for the serial, enter serial info listed in the above steps. You must be plugged in to A/C power to update.

4) Let it run through the update download and install, may take quite a while. If it fails to download the entire update you may need to free up some space in your app memory.

5) Let Android 4.0 start up. To change to English click on the upper right "six dots", then on settings which looks like three little lines on the icon. In the settings scroll down to the icon with the "A" in it and click there, then on the right side click the top option and scroll down to US English (or your choice of language).

6) Power off the tablet.

-- On your PC

1) Download the Android .EXE SDK from Android SDK | Android Developers

2) When you attempt to install the Android SDK it may give an error about Java. If so, open the link in the error message and install the JAVA 32-BIT JDK, even if you have a 64-bit OS still install the 32-bit JDK. Install Java.

3) Go back and install the Android SDK, if it goves an error then click "back" then "forward" again and it should clear it and install.

4) Open the Android SDK (it will probably open just after installing). Click the Tools arrow and check off both “Android SDK Tools” and “Platform Tools”. Also go down to Extras and select “Google USB Driver Package”. Then hit Install packages.

5) Download the fast boot file http://www.e-world-everywhere.net/Newsblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/fastboot-win32.zip and put it in the "Platform-tools" folder.

6) Download the Clockwork recovery Mod, save it in the Android SDK folder "android-sdk\platform-tools\" (That folder should already exist after installing Android SDK). CWR can be downloaded at update.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download - Zach Bolt (It will download as "Update.zip). Open up the Update.zip file (winrar, winzip, ect...). Extract the "recovery.img" file to that same directory Update.zip is in.

***************************************************************************************

If you want to back up before trying all this, download the above file "Update.zip", go to your settings in your stock 7022, go to your option to update software and tell it to go through with the update. The "Update.zip" file needs to be saved on the base of your SD card, not on any folder. You can then backup your original 7022 before beginning all this.

***************************************************************************************

6) Power on the tablet while holding down the "Menu" button on the side. This will get you the COBY screen with blue text on it.

7) Connect your tablet to your PC with the USB cable.

8) Open a command prompt (click on Start, then type "cmd" in the box and hit enter).

9) Navigate to your directory where the Android SDK is installed. Use CD to change directory, for example "CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools". If successful, you should see the directory change.

10) Now type in "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" and hit enter. It will complete a few processes then tell you it is complete. (If you can't get it to connect, make sure you are in FAST BOOT mode using the MENU key while pressing the power button. It should say FAST BOOT in blue on the tablet screen).

11) IMPORTANT STEP, PAY ATTENTION: Disconnect USB, reboot the tablet using the reset button on the rear. HOLD DOWN THE BACK BUTTON AS IT BOOTS (the round silver button at the bottom) until you get to the Clockwork Recovery menu.

12) The HOME key is select, the MENU key is scroll down, the RETURN key is back (center-bottom silver circle). Scroll down to "Install file from zip", hit home to select. Scroll down to "choose file from SDcard" and hit home to select. Then choose the "Update.zip file". This adds Clockwork as a normal part of the Tablet so you can use it anytime.

13) Use the same menu to install the "Superuser" file.

14) Use the same menu to install the "Gapps" file.

15) You are done. Use the menu to reboot, then the tab will start up and run through an install process that finalizes Gapps. Have fun.

=========================================================================

Stuff that does not work:

- Netflix
- Crackle
- Youtube works but is framerate capped and a little slow
- The wifi bug is still present, if your unit goes to sleep then the next time you wake it the wifi will be really slow until you reboot.

Don't forget to install Flash from the market.

The serial number you chose to use is saved in the unit. I would recommend writing it down as you do this install, as well as writing down your unit's actual serial (it rubs off really easy).

You can also download a Youtube app from signedcom.google.android.youtube.apk

Is it buggy? Yes, but it works. Coby is also still working on this version of Android 4.0, they may update it later which MAY require a full reset to stock and starting over, but this is a pretty easy process once you have done it.

This is simply a collection of work done by other people, put together to get ICS working on the 7022.

UPDATED 6/26/12:
- Added in some notes about 2.3.3 being better on this device.
- Cleaned up some text and corrected step 5 under "On your PC"
- Coby put out an update to their 4.0 build, it does not change the process above.

- After extensive testing I would recommend people to use 2.3.3 and for any apps they want just Google the app name with "apk", so Netflix would Google "Netflix 1.8 apk" and you will find sites where you can download it. On 2.3.3 I have Flash, Netflix, Crackle, Youtube and everything else working (and working well). Those were the main reasons I got this unit and they do not work on 4.0, so I'm reverting back.

Last edited:

reaper420

Nov 7, 2011
when i get to this step it wont install any of the packages
4) Open the Android SDK (it will probably open just after installing). Click the Tools arrow and check off both “Android SDK Tools” and “Platform Tools”. Also go down to Extras and select “Google USB Driver Package”. Then hit Install packages.

Jaxmoto

Jun 9, 2012
when i get to this step it wont install any of the packages

Try going to the folder where you have the Android SDK installed and running it as administrator. (Right click on "SDK Manager.exe" and click on "run as admin"). Then pick up clicking on the packages and installing.

Oh, and the above instruction are not for Mac's, if you're on a Mac then you'll have to research how to run the Android SDK to connect to Coby tablets. I'm assuming you aren't, just wanted to put this out there.

Last edited:

reaper420

Nov 7, 2011
i have no idea what went wrong but i uninstalled it and reinstalled now its installing the files right

jimmygzzmtz

Jun 22, 2012
I'm stuck on the step where you input "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" it just says "waiting for device".... maybe a driver problem? Idk, I followed every step.

whitepelican

Jun 18, 2012
I'm stuck on the step where you input "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" it just says "waiting for device".... maybe a driver problem? Idk, I followed every step.

Is the tablet on the "Coby" screen with the blue text on the bottom? Do you have the USB cable plugged in to the tablet and PC? Does your PC recognize that the USB is connected?

jimmygzzmtz

Jun 22, 2012
Is the tablet on the "Coby" screen with the blue text on the bottom? Do you have the USB cable plugged in to the tablet and PC? Does your PC recognize that the USB is connected?

Yes, yes, and... No. Apparently, Windows does not find a driver on the device while in that mode.... any advice?

Jaxmoto

Jun 9, 2012
Yes, yes, and... No. Apparently, Windows does not find a driver on the device while in that mode.... any advice?

Sorry I hadn't been back to check the thread. Need to clean it up too at some point. Mine does not actually do anything when I connect it, other than detect a USB device. I just went ahead and all the fastboot commands worked though. But, you can try....

Basically the point where you install the Google SDK (Under step 4 on "On your PC") you should go through the steps to select and install the 3 options (“Android SDK Tools” and “Platform Tools”. Also go down to Extras and select “Google USB Driver Package”). That should have installed all the actual drivers you need to connect to it while in fastboot mode.

Personally I would trying to install the "Google USB Driver Package" in the Google SDK again. Open the SDK exe as administrator too to see if that helps.

Not sure what to do if you can't get it to recognize while in fastboot after all that though. I know I read some people simply cannot get USB to work with fastboot at all with this device due to problems with the USB itself. I just know that with mine I had not installed anything special (Windows 7 Home Premium) and it worked just fine.

I used this page to get the info on the original setup I did: [How to] Coby Kyros 7022 Restoring Stock Recovery

jimmygzzmtz

Jun 22, 2012
Sorry I hadn't been back to check the thread. Need to clean it up too at some point. Mine does not actually do anything when I connect it, other than detect a USB device. I just went ahead and all the fastboot commands worked though. But, you can try....

Basically the point where you install the Google SDK (Under step 4 on "On your PC") you should go through the steps to select and install the 3 options (“Android SDK Tools” and “Platform Tools”. Also go down to Extras and select “Google USB Driver Package”). That should have installed all the actual drivers you need to connect to it while in fastboot mode.

Personally I would trying to install the "Google USB Driver Package" in the Google SDK again. Open the SDK exe as administrator too to see if that helps.

Not sure what to do if you can't get it to recognize while in fastboot after all that though. I know I read some people simply cannot get USB to work with fastboot at all with this device due to problems with the USB itself. I just know that with mine I had not installed anything special (Windows 7 Home Premium) and it worked just fine.

I used this page to get the info on the original setup I did: [How to] Coby Kyros 7022 Restoring Stock Recovery

I was SO stupid, I was booting into FWDN, not fastboot. Please forgive me. I will now follow the instructions again.

UPDATE
I am rooted, god bless you and thank you. Sorry for all the inconveniences for me not reading properly.

Last edited:

amoore135

Jul 2, 2012
Thanks for the instructions. Have my 7022 working well with ICS and Gapps. My girlfriend wants to go back to 2.3.4 though and I neglected to make a backup. Is the factory software available to download anywhere?

canx2k

Mar 1, 2012
I got most things to work on here (ICS) except I can't seem to get the serial activation to gtfo and it seems vampire's boot.img didn't do the trick for me. Not sure why.

Also, I was able to get Allrecipies to work on 2.3.3 by modifying my build.prop to look like a Samsung Nexus S. For some reason in google play it doesn't seem to want to let me anymore. Anyone else change their build.prop to reflect something more current to access more apps?

liveoutloud91

May 18, 2012
I got most things to work on here (ICS) except I can't seem to get the serial activation to gtfo and it seems vampire's boot.img didn't do the trick for me. Not sure why.

Also, I was able to get Allrecipies to work on 2.3.3 by modifying my build.prop to look like a Samsung Nexus S. For some reason in google play it doesn't seem to want to let me anymore. Anyone else change their build.prop to reflect something more current to access more apps?
I've read about editing the build.prop but I can't do it with EFS File Explorer, at least not on 2.3.3. Which file explorer are you using?

Unrelated-anybody know how to use their EXTERNAL SD card for app storage? The Cyanogenmod 7 build recognizes my external SD for app storage by default anything official from Coby does not.