ICS on 7022

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a way to get ICS on your 7022. I read in a thread on here where a guy posted that he had it so I had to figure it out. I can't find it right now to give him credit. I am not sure if you need to be stock firmware for this. I put mine back to stock using the stock backup found on these forums. Then I went to Consumer Entertainment Products for Home, Office or On the Go! | COBY and downloaded the update apk. Yes it is coby's German site. Install the apk and run it. It will ask for your serial number. I don't have mine as that sticker rubbed off a long time ago. So I watched the install video where you download the apk and copied the one off their device in the video. It said it had already been used so I changed the last number by 1. It worked. The apk downloaded the update and installed it. ICS is running pretty good so far. Its only been a half hour. When it does boot up it will be in German but you can change it to English in the settings.I am still trying to figure out how to get root, CWM, and Play store on it. Not much hope as I am not good in those areas. Maybe someone else that is more knowledgeable can figure it out.

Edit:

Thanks to Filipicamo We now have a fully working flashable zip for ics. The following are instructions:

Do not reboot in between flashing files. If tablet reboots do not let it boot into system. If it boots into system before flashing the jcase file you will loose your recovery. To regain recovery you must follow instructions in post 3.

1. Download the following files and place on tablet sdcard. insert sdcard into tablet.
7022(0013)update- http://min.us/mJrqnZJi7
8127- http://depositfiles.com/files/1dyvov5r8 provided by mixone. (I am not able to test this. It may not work.)

wipe file- http://www.mediafire.com/?4olbwbaxe8ti4ra This was made by Leslieanne on Android Central

Root File- http://www.mediafire.com/?4dcgkevdiy63zp7 This was made by jcase on XDA and Jerryscript from android central.

Gapps- http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

2. Start 7022 in CWM Recovery.

3. Make a backup.

4. Through the install zip from sdcard file menu use the wipe file. This will wipe boot, data, system.

5. flash mid7022_ICS_Update.zip

6. Say yes. (You will get a random offset while running the zip. This is due to flashing an ICS rom through CWM Recovery. Here is more info on it http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1362200 It is normal.)

7. Flash jcase rootme zip.

8. Flash gapps.

9. Now you haveICS, root, and play store and you are done.

You will need to change language. This can be done in the upper left when it first boots or in the settings. In settings it has an icon by a white square with the letter a in it. It will ask for a serial number to activate. I am not sure what is limited by this.

without Filipicamo this would not be possible. He is the one who found the update left on his system. I have added root and gapps. Also with superuser being installed on this it will leave your recovery intact. I have tested this on my tablet and it worked. As always nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Elite

May 11, 2012
I also installed the update, but for the 8127.
Also tried all known (known to me and google ;)) methods to get root on this devices. No success so far...

I have analyzed the update.apk to know how their update is working and to get an update archive. Good to know that all serial numbers will be wasted.

I need the build finger print of a NOT UPDATED version, so if sombody reads this: I want to extract the update from the site but i need the old fingerprint. When i have this update archive wasted serial numbers will be no problem anymore...

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
So following daprospecta's instructions from the installing cm7 and CWM I was able to get CWM recovery installed and did a backup. I will post the backup when it is done. The instructions below are from daprospecta's post.

Here are the two links for clockwork recov and cm7
http://androtab.info/files/tcc8803/c...ery-signed.zip
http://androtab.info/files/tcc8803/c...gen-signed.zip

You will need to extract the recovery zip because the recovery img is in it. Go download the android sdk(google it) and when it's all done and installed go to this site(Free download button at the bottom)
https://rs823tl4.rapidshare.com/#!do...527172EE0A5F05
and download this dll. It's called apdb32 something like it but anyway place that dll after you download it in your androidsdk\tools folder.Also put the recovery.img in the tools folder. Now turn your tablet off. Hold down the Menu button while turning it on you will get a message saying reset or plug in usb. Plug in your tablet to your pc and let windows install all the needed drivers(about 15 seconds). Open a command prompt and browse out to the tools directory once your sitting on that directory type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' once that's done(5 secs) type 'fastboot reboot'. Your tablet will reboot and you know have CM recovery. I'm assuming you know how to install cm7 from recovery.MAKE A BACKUP FIRST.

Obviously don't flash the CM7 part. I also didn't download the .dll's. I couldn't find them but the procedure still worked. Also Fun has changed the location for the recovery file for 7022. It is still on his site but listed under telechips. It is labeled.

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
So here is a link to a backup of my stock ICS installation. It was made from CWM recovery. Anyone that has CWM Recovery should be able to unzip this file and the put the secondary file(the one that directly contains all the files) on your sdcard in the Clockworkmod\backuip folder. Boot into recovery and select restore and then select this one. I have not personally tried to do the restore but it should work. I did find out that once the tablet booted back into the system my CWM recovery had been overwritten. So the recovery is only good immediately after flashing it through fastboot. Once the system boots it is gone until we can find a way to prevent it from being rewritten by the system.

2012-05-13.01.07 - Minus

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
odd they released it only in a different country since its an american company
good for owners of last gen models though, maybe even jellybean (or whatever the next version is going to be called) will be compatible too

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
Good news! getting an idea from Jerryscript over on the androidcentral at this link [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com I used jcase's modified superuser zip in recovery and was able to get the system to keep the CWM recovery. The following is a link to the gordita root by jcase Gordita Root: Optimus V exploit March 24th 2012 - xda-developers anyway the below is my backup after applying superuser to keep recovery.

Can a brave soul try a restore from this and let me know if your system boots with ICS? If it does then I will update the original post so everyone can find the backup file easily.

http://min.us/mbbBfJtpay

Even better news! I tryed flashing the following GAPPS package in recovery and it worked. I now have play store. I found the GAPPS in a post in the Coby gen3 forum. as soon as someone can confirm that my backup can put ICS on another persons tablet that would be great. the below is a link to GAPPS. I now have ICS with recovery, root, and play store.

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Last edited:

Filipicamo

May 13, 2012
Good news! getting an idea from Jerryscript over on the androidcentral at this link [ROOT] Virgin Mobile Security Update Now Rooted!!! Thanks jcase!! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com I used jcase's modified superuser zip in recovery and was able to get the system to keep the CWM recovery. The following is a link to the gordita root by jcase Gordita Root: Optimus V exploit March 24th 2012 - xda-developers anyway the below is my backup after applying superuser to keep recovery.

Can a brave soul try a restore from this and let me know if your system boots with ICS? If it does then I will update the original post so everyone can find the backup file easily.

2012-05-13.02.03.18 - Minus

Even better news! I tryed flashing the following GAPPS package in recovery and it worked. I now have play store. I found the GAPPS in a post in the Coby gen3 forum. as soon as someone can confirm that my backup can put ICS on another persons tablet that would be great. the below is a link to GAPPS. I now have ICS with recovery, root, and play store.

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

I have a modded Rom on my Tablet. Can i install this gapps-ics-20120429-signed?

I Install it by reovery mod or using Android SDK?

I Tried install by recovey but it Aborted the installation.

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
I am a little confused as to where you are at in the process. From the beginning you need to have CWM Recovery installed on your 7022. Make a backup of your current system. Then download 2012-05-13.02.03.18 - Minus and unzip it. Place the folder inside that has the same file name with all contents into your clockworkmod\backup folder on your sdcard. Then go back into your recovery and restore and select the 2012-05-13.02.03.18 file. Then download the Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file. Place it on your sd card. Do not unzip it. Go into your recovery and select install zip from sdcard. Select the gapps file and install. You should be done. I always clear cache and dalvik cache each time I install stuff through the recovery. Let me know if you need any further help.

Filipicamo

May 13, 2012
I am a little confused as to where you are at in the process. From the beginning you need to have CWM Recovery installed on your 7022. Make a backup of your current system. Then download 2012-05-13.02.03.18 - Minus and unzip it. Place the folder inside that has the same file name with all contents into your clockworkmod\backup folder on your sdcard. Then go back into your recovery and restore and select the 2012-05-13.02.03.18 file. Then download the Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file. Place it on your sd card. Do not unzip it. Go into your recovery and select install zip from sdcard. Select the gapps file and install. You should be done. I always clear cache and dalvik cache each time I install stuff through the recovery. Let me know if you need any further help.

I made de restore from 2012-05-13.02.03.18 file and its still loading.
Still loading when turned it on on the beginning load screen.

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
If it takes more than ten minutes to boot then try going back into recovery, go to mounts and format system, boot, cache, and data. Then go to advanced and wipe delvik cache. Then perform restore of my backup.

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk 2

Filipicamo

May 13, 2012
If it takes more than ten minutes to boot then try going back into recovery, go to mounts and format system, boot, cache, and data. Then go to advanced and wipe delvik cache. Then perform restore of my backup.

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk 2

OK I WILL try then post my results.

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
If you did by the same way did you will have to follow the rest of my posts to get to the end result of having gappson it. You have to enter fastboot mode and flash the recovery then immediatly enter recovery and flash the jcase zip to put superuser on the tablet. Then flash the gapps file I posted.

I am currently working on a flashable zip to do everything but I am hitting a road block. I don't have a lot of experience in this area. I hope this helps.