can't update cwm

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
ok nothing else worked, so i flashed the old recovery, but when i went to rom manager, and reflash cwm, it said it successfully flashed it, but on reboot, i still have stock. i don't know what's goin on

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
ucpro, what OS are you running? As mentioned sometimes you'll get a false report of the CWR version installed. In other words it will say 3.0.0.5 but you will really have a higher version.

At this point it is best to start clean. Follow the link in darmeen's sig to remove CWR. Once removed you have three options.

1. Make a bootable CWR SD card and flash the version of CWR you want on to internal memory (just like you flash any other zip file).
2. Install ROM Manager 4.0+ and flash CWR from ROM Manager choosing "Nook Color" (not old). Reboot before doing anything else.
3. Do step 2 then place a CWR zip on an SD card, Reboot Recovery with card inserted and flash the zip into internal memory replacing whatever version was flashed from ROM Manager.

When flashing a CWR zip file from CWR pay attention to the first line of the script that comes up in the code. This will be the version actually being installed no matter what you see reported after.

JP

Last edited:

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i did step 2 already. i've been using ro manager 4202, and of course i can't get cwr back no matter how many times i flash in rom manager. i'm actually in the process of trying to make a bootable sd, i have a 4gb card trying to burn a 2gb cwr image and it keeps saying there's no room on the disk. this happened right out the box

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm, you have some interesting stuff going on there for sure. Try refomatting the card then burn again.

From everything you have said so far it sounds like the CWR version is either being misreported or you have some corruption blocking newer installs. Once you are able to remove CWR and get back to square one everything should be ok.

JP

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
Removing cwr is making things worse. I can't get it back now so I'm stuck with stock recovery. As for the SD card, everytime I take it out, the computer wont read it when I put it back in so i have to keep rebooting so it'll read again

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
We'll help you get there. First off whenever you burn an image to an SD card it formats the card in such a way that the PC is not going to recognize it like it would a blank cleanly formatted SD card.

What do you mean by stock recovery?

Let's get some of the basics out of the way so we know what we are dealing with.

What are ROM are you running on your Nook?
What were you trying to do when you ran into issues with CWR?
Were you ever able to use CWR correctly to make backups or flash ROMs or kernerls?
What is the current status of your Nook (is CWR now removed)?
Did you follow the post you were directed to for removing CWR?
Did you run into any issues?
What are you currently trying to burn to your SD card that is giving you issues?

Thanks,

JP

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
[QUOT E=J515OP;87876]We'll help you get there. First off whenever you burn an image to an SD card it formats the card in such a way that the PC is not going to recognize it like it would a blank cleanly formatted SD card.

What do you mean by stock recovery?

Let's get some of the basics out of the way so we know what we are dealing with.

What are ROM are you running on your Nook?
What were you trying to do when you ran into issues with CWR?
Were you ever able to use CWR correctly to make backups or flash ROMs or kernerls?
What is the current status of your Nook (is CWR now removed)?
Did you follow the post you were directed to for removing CWR?
Did you run into any issues?
What are you currently trying to burn to your SD card that is giving you issues?

Thanks,

JP[/QUOTE]

Stock recovery as in whatever recovery it had when I first got it. I'm on 2.1 still, or 1.01 autonootered. I could install different roms like cm7 but then after 3006, I couldn't install anything. I was trying to install the new update. So I went to rm and supposedly installed the updated recovery. It worked on my phones all the time so I didn't think twice about looking. Then I got an error that it couldn't install, and I looked at the number and saw its still 3005. I made a backup before wiping, but then the backup ended up throwing me into a bootloop, so I used an even older backup which worked.

I did install the zip after wiping the cache to uninstall cwm and that worked, but now when I reflash in rm, it won't flash. It says it did but when I reboot, the other recovery is on there that says install failed, go to nook. Com for support or something like that, so I'm still stuck with no recovery.

The SD card doesn't make sense, I'm thinking it may be my adaptor because I've burned the autonooter image to another card. I keep getting an error that says the image is too big so I'm now unable to burn an image. I have a 4gb card and the image is 2GB. I'm using windisk32 and also tried a program called winimage

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good info. Thanks. Ok so once you have burned the disk once it will see it as being only like 200MB. Before you can burn it again you need to reformat it. The easiest way to do this is put the card in the Nook, go to Settings>Device Info>SD Card>Unmount SD Card and then format. This will give you a clean card to put back into the PC.

So if I understand correctly you have now removed CWR from your Nook. The next step you are trying to do is create a CWR bootable SD card. Once you have created the card you can drop CWR 3.0.1 zip on it. After that insert the card and boot. Finally clear the caches and flash the CWR zip from the card to internal memory.

For now I wouldn't bother trying to update CWR once you have 3.0.1 on there. It will allow you to do everyting you need to do and you can wait for a 3.0.2+ zip file to come out.

JP

Last edited:

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
For some reason I can't install anything on this card. I'm gonna try the one that I used to flash with and c if it works

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
awesome i got it. there's somethin wrong with the card reader on my computer. glad i got an external just in case!!! now i just gotta figure out how to update to 1.2. i accidentally ran autonooter beforehand. i tried to install the 1.2 zip and i got an error about it can't open

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Since you are autonootered I suggest you make a backup of your current setup. That way if you don't like 1.2 (and some people don't especially since it is manual nooter only) you can go back to where you are now with no problems.

First do this and make a backup http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

Then do this (you can use the same card from above) to restore back to stock http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
yep i got my bootable sd ready with cwr on it, actually i got it to boot 3028. 1.2 seems fine by me so far, but i do need to make a backup just in case somethin crazy happens