CyanogenMod Discussion [ROMS] [Kernels] [Versions]

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
It looks like what you are experiencing is the "sleep of death". It happens when the Nook Color attempts to go into deep sleep while wifi is running. My understanding of the problem is that it involves some sort of timing conflict. It is a known CM7 issue. The best workaround that I have seen is to simply turn wifi off if you are going to let it go to sleep. Wifi does use some additional battery life anyway so I only have it on when I actually need it. Most of my Nook use is reading and playing some games while commuting. An additional benefit is the adds in many free games don't function with wifi off. :)

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
So far it looks like if I turn the screen off before it times out I don't have an issue. I also haven't had a problem with letting it time out while wifi is off. At least I have a couple of options to keep the "sleep of death" from happening until an update is provided. Thanks for the help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Very interesting. I thought the SOD was corrected in CM7 7.1.0 Encore release but perhaps not in all cases. What timeout length have you been using? I am wondering if the issue occurs at 5 minutes as opposed to 1 minute for example.

patruns do you have more info on regarding this issue on the latest CM7? I haven't really been hearing about this issue.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Previously I was using 1 minute. I tried leaving wifi on and changing the timeout to 5 minutes. So far so good. I'm going to stick with that setting.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Very interesting. I thought the SOD was corrected in CM7 7.1.0 Encore release but perhaps not in all cases. What timeout length have you been using? I am wondering if the issue occurs at 5 minutes as opposed to 1 minute for example.

patruns do you have more info on regarding this issue on the latest CM7? I haven't really been hearing about this issue.

Yes, it is not totally fixed. Dal is working on a possible fix now after someone could consistently recreate the problem. Here is a discussion: Sleep of Death debugging - CyanogenMod Forum - Page 2

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I just had my first SOD with the timeout set for 5 minutes. I guess that doesn't make a difference.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It seems to be a random issue and not related to the screen time out. How comfortable are you with CWR, flashing ROMs, kernels making nandroids ect.? There may be a solution in the latest kernels but I don't recommend doing it if you don't know what you are doing.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
It seems to be a random issue and not related to the screen time out. How comfortable are you with CWR, flashing ROMs, kernels making nandroids ect.? There may be a solution in the latest kernels but I don't recommend doing it if you don't know what you are doing.

I'm OK with flashing ROMs, but that's about it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Flashing kernels is about the same and making nandroids is also pretty easy but you definitely want to make sure you know how to make and restore a backup (nandroid). Start here and read a couple of times to get a clear idea of the process. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/6386-how-installing-using-clockworkmod-rom-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

Some parts aren't applicable if you have a bootable cwr card but the actions inside cwr and the backup are worth getting down.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Normally I would give that a go, but I've got a lot going on at the moment and my brain is mush. I'll take another look in a few days to see if it makes any more sense. Thanks.

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
I hadn't had the SOD in quite a long time till I upgraded to build 251, now I have had it happen twice so it seems that it is back. I keep my sleep setting at 2 minutes through all new roms and not a problem till now. I may drop back to my last backup or go foreword to the next build as I believe they have fixed the signal bars and airplane icon.

I have had the SOD 2 more times since my OP. Really seems bad this time around.

Last edited:

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Nightly 251 is SODing like twice a day. I keep waiting for the next nightly to be released but no go. I wonder why they all the sudden stopped. I noticed a lot of ICS integration in the up coming build, so maybe that's why the delay. Still I wait patiently while it SOD s on me. Where is ICS?

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
It is taking a long time for the next nightly and there are a ton of changes. That's why I have frozen mine at 201 for now. I do not like to see too many changes in a single nightly. Too many chances for errors.

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
It is taking a long time for the next nightly and there are a ton of changes. That's why I have frozen mine at 201 for now. I do not like to see too many changes in a single nightly. Too many chances for errors.

I don't think you are going to like this one then, its really adding up to a big one. Going to have to start calling these monthly's instead of nightly's.;)