DG2.20 installed from SD card

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
UPDATED! Please see - How to manually update SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7/Disgo 6000 to Android 2.2 "Froyo" Using a microSD card OR from computer using USB cable and OTG Port for the latest information.

SYNET7LP hwver=11.2.06 (Hardware ID) updated to DG2.20 (Android 2.2 "Froyo") from SD card.

$IMG_0421.JPG

New initial Home screen.
View attachment 1968

New Home screen.
$IMG_0418.JPG

New Applications screen.
$IMG_0420.JPG

Some background information here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...on-recovery-bootable-sd-card-2.html#post71309

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Adobe Flash Player 10.1 version 10.1.105.7 is installed and working.

GMail version 2.3

NO Market but Google Services Framework version 2.2 so possibly no Ugly Hack to get Market but time will tell with more experimenting.

Update: AndroidID is created and saved by SignIn to GMail, therefore no Ugly Hack to install AndroidID required, however new Google Experience (gapps) are needed since this is now Froyo.

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
This update will install Digital Gadgets version of Android 2.2 (Froyo) on the SYNET7LP.

The update is provided by the X210 Chip maker infoTMIC.

"infoTM Update Wrap Tool" is used to create a bootable microSD (2GB or greater required)

The update file (*.ius) is burned to the microSD creating a single 706 MB partition that when inserted in the Tablet will be read upon boot and the update will be flashed to the device.
$IUW_burn.JPG
View attachment 1973

WARNING: The update seems to be Hardware Version "hwver" specific. There are various versions of SYNET7LP being distributed.
The "hwver" of the device must be determined prior to updating.

As with any process provided by users and not the manufacturer/distributor, no warranties provided that this process will not make your device unusable. Do Not Proceed without understanding the risks and moderate computer skills needed to complete the update.

Android 2.2 (Froyo) Update process for SYNET7LP or SYTABEX7

Caution: Update files appear to be hardware version "hwver" specific. The only identified method for discovery of "hwver" requires "Root" privlages and "adb" (Android Debug Bridge) commands to query the device. Neither of these topics are addressed in this thread but should be considered as prerequisites to manually update the device. The alternative is to wait for the distributor (Digital Gadgets) of the device to work with the Chip maker (infoTMIC) to fix their update process.

Note: Creation of the update microSD card has only been accomplished using XP and Vista 64bit OS. Multiple attempts with Win7 64bit FAILED!

Hardware version identification -

Using "adb" query the device with this command

Code:
C:\>adb shell cat /proc/cmdline
console=ttySAC3,115200 androidboot.mode=normal bmagic=0xeef07901 hwver=11.2.0.6
Note "hwver" as several have been identified 11.2.0.6, 11.2.1.5, 11.2.1.8

Using this information the proper update file (*.ius) can be downloaded.

"hwver" updates (if available) can be found by substituting identified "hwver" in the get command below. Insert your "hwver" after "data=" in the example url below the paste it in a new browser session to identify what update is being downloaded.

Example -
Code:
http://222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=[B]hwver[/B]&vcode=0
11.2.0.6 - http://222.73.93.45/update/11.2.0.6/11.2.0.6.2.0_beta3.ius

11.2.1.5 - http://222.73.93.45/update/11.2.1.5/11.2.1.5.2.0_beta3_1.ius

Note: The "vcode=" is also a variable in the get command but still checking to see if it querying the "version code".

InfoTM Update Wrap Tool and instructions

IUW Version 1.0
iuw1.1-english.rar

Unrar the "iuw1.1-english.rar" (InfoTM Update Wrap Tool & documents) There are two Word documents included.
Follow process "2. Buring by SD card" detailed in "Introduction of IUW burning-20110118.docx". Upon "Burn Completed!",
$IUW_burncomp.JPG
Insert the microSD card in the device and watch it do it's update process. If anyone can catch a video that would be cool.

Note: The micoSD card might need to be clear of all existing Partitions prior to being recognized in the "Choose an SD drive:" drop down. Several methods are detailed.

Using XP, click Start > right click My Computer > left click Manage

Under Storage click on Disk Management

In the displayed window, Click on the SD card first partition (down in the bottom right section of the window) and you should get an X on the tool bar (Under the word Help on the menu bar) which is Delete. Delete the partition so the card is blank, also no need to format either. Try again.

If you are unable to delete the Partition on the microSD card, search the Web there are many instructions describing tools/utilities on how to modify/delete/create partitions on Removable Media (USB, SD, external Hard Drives).

Win 7 method described below in Post #10 , however Win 7 fails to recognize SD drive.
Work In Progress - Please post any corrections/suggestions/observations and success so that others may benefit by your experience.

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone try updating the EX7 yet with one of these new images?

A couple active SYTABEX7 Owners have the information to attempt an update. Awaiting responses that it works and then their experience will be included in a "How To".

petedude - If you have a SYTABEX7 (no HDMI port) can you confirm your "hwver"?

Cat88Extreme

Mar 15, 2011
So for us SYTABEX7 users we would have a bootable SD card backup? So when it locks on the Sylvania screen we can actually fix the problem?

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I am soo wanting to try this with the ex7 but can NOT get the burn tool to see my SD card.
I am searching for SD formaters/ low level formatters partition managers.. cant get the SD card to work with the burn tool.
what am I missing? What did you do to set up your card? what software did you use? I have win7 so I cant go into the Disk Management and delete the partition. there is no option in the right click menu.

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
I am soo wanting to try this with the ex7 but can NOT get the burn tool to see my SD card...
I have win7 so I cant go into the Disk Management and delete the partition.

st0ne - I also have win7 and I think that's causing some problems with the iuw tool. First, i'd suggest running everything you do as administrator (right click the executable, "run as administrator"). That shoudl get your SD card/removable media options to show up in the iuw burn tool. Even then, I was able to do that...clicked "burn"...it said "burn successful" but the SD card still didn't work. It will boot the tablet, but then goes right to "remove SD and reboot" and doesn't go into the whole flashing routine. After 2 hours or trying every possible option of using winhex to make the right size partition and the iuw tool to "burn" the files onto the SD card I gave up and went to my dual-boot linux/winxp box. In WinXP I was able to connect the tablet to the computer through the OTG port and successfully burned the update to the tablet and my launcher and interface looks like the pictures cfrockit posted! I'll start a new thread, or maybe add on here, with the steps that I used to get that to work. I tried to do the same in win7 but the dirver used to connect the tablet doesn't work with 64 bit win7. At this point I was burnt out (pun intended) and went to bed...never tried gettign the SD to work using winXP.

Regarding disk management, it still exists in win7 but you can't get to it the exact same way as cfrockit suggested for winXP. The easiest way is to hit start and in the search box type "disk" and some programs and files will appear. One of the options should be "create and format hard disk partitions".

$disk.JPG

giveen

Jan 11, 2011
Have you guys noticed any significant changes? Better battery life? Better wifi signal? Applications running faster?

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
For those having issues with making an SD card that will boot and flash the infoTM update, I've found that windows 7 (I have 64 bit, don't knwo abtou 32 bit) and the iuw burn tool are not currently compatible.

I'm looking for some type of workaround, but I was able to use the iuw burn tool both make a bootbale SD to flash the update AND connect the tablet via USB and burn through the OTG port using winXP (using the driver in the iuw rar package). Neither worked in win7.

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Have you guys noticed any significant changes? Better battery life? Better wifi signal? Applications running faster?

I've spent so much time tryign to figure out how this update process works that I've spent hardly anytime "enjoying" the new OS. I'll report back after I take some time to check it out. At first it does seem to be pretty snappy and responsive, has a cleaner and better looking luancher application and built-in programs, but that's all I've seen right now.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010

First thing I've noticed is that I didn't notice the slow down we had with the Clock, Calendar, Weather widgets we had under 2.1. Haven't even bothered deleting them yet or any of the Phone, Dialer, and assorted other useless applications loaded by default. Seems to launch much faster after a few boots. Kept plugged in all night so it's been running 8 hours no problems using on the stock applications. The screen now even sleeps! Gmail works no hacking required. Haven't attempted any other application installs, just trying to investigate the stock image before tweaking.