DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

Tawer

Nov 9, 2013
ummm this has to be done with Linux right? because I use Windows. so is there another way to do it or I can use the same command?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The commands given can be done in Windows. If you downloaded the root utility and extracted it to a directory on your hard drive you have a copy of adb that you can use to get the necessary information. You just need to be in the root utility's directory to run the commands.

Tawer

Nov 9, 2013
by the way, I tried to do this but I guess something went wrong because nothing happened:
Make a copy of the stock recovery that you created in the "Create System dump" step. Place that copy in the data subdirectory of the utility and rename it to "stock_recovery.img". Take the copy of ClockworkMod you just downloaded, unzip it if it comes in a zip file, place it in the data subdirectory of the utility, then rename the file to "cwm_recovery.img". Then run "root_restore.bat". Have your device connected to the PC just as if you were going to root the tablet, but at the selection menu in the utility, select the "Recovery" option. At the next menu choice, select ClockworkMod and follow the prompts. When finished the tablet will reboot into ClockworkMod. Make a backup of the ROM at this point, using ClockworkMod's "Backup and restore" function.

basically it says to install the cwm I should:
1. copy the whole dump folder, paste it in "/data" and rename it "stock_recovery.img".
2. copy the whole cwm folder, paste it in "/data" and rename it "cwm_recovery.img".
3. run "root_restore.bat", select the "Recovery" option, select ClockworkMod and follow the prompts.
after that the tablet should reboot into
ClockworkMod where i make a backup.

I did those 3 steps jest like that but I don't think the cwm is installed because when the tablet reboot into cwm there should a title "
ClockworkMod Recovery" or something like that, right?
but I don't my tablet still reboot into "Android System Recovery" just like before with the same menu and everything and in the menu I don't have the
"Backup and restore" option.

so did I miss something?

Tawer

Nov 9, 2013
OMG!!! I got the loop logo thing and it won't boot and even though I had the backup and even though entered the folder but I didn't see anything, so I wiped everything
and restored it to the factory. luckily I didn't have anything to lose because I already wiped everything before I start. plus I didn't lose the rooting and the folder made.

anyway I will try using the commands.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
so did I miss something?
You're definitely missing something because you're not really reading what is being said in the thread. Look at the quote you made and read it. Nowhere does it say to copy the entire dump into the data directory of the root utility. It does say to copy the stock recovery created in the "Create System Dump" step and place that copy into /data.

I can't say this enough. Rooting is not something that can be rushed. You must read and understand what you are doing before you attempt to do it. Otherwise, you will end up with a paperweight. So stop rushing to get this done. You're making mistakes because you're being impatient and the end result will be a bricked tablet if you keep it up.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Slow down and take your time as Traveller1701 has said, rooting and modifying tablets should be done when one has time and fully understands whats going on, many people have destroyed their tablets by rushing.

i just checked your dump it's fine you don't have nand lock, you should be able to use CWM Recovery

Tawer

Nov 9, 2013
thank you guys for the advice, but the truth is i wasn't really rushing at all, i kept reading and reading for hours for 3 days and tried to fully understand every step
before i take it, but in the end "BAD THINGS ALWAYS HAPPENS", you always miss something, forget something or simply you do everything right and still everything goes wrong.
to me as long as you accept this fact you will be just fine ;)

anyway, the good news is, no the best news is i did it, i finally did it. i installed the cwm and gapp and it is working fine. so thank you guys thanks a lot for you help and support.
you are the best.

by the way Traveller1701, the biggest thing i missed is... no wait, actually i missed up everything even the data folder location and the whole operation:confused:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Congratulations, enjoy your tab.

And thanks for reporting back with you success, many never do.

Last edited:

Tawer

Nov 9, 2013
Thank you man. and now I am planing to by another one :)
Anyway, I heard about how you can trick your phone to think it's Samsung Galaxy because I got the "Not Compatible" problem when trying to install the new versions of some apps,
so is there any thread here that cover this issue or now I am on my own ^^

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Thank you man. and now I am planing to by another one :)
Anyway, I heard about how you can trick your phone to think it's Samsung Galaxy because I got the "Not Compatible" problem when trying to install the new versions of some apps,
so is there any thread here that cover this issue or now I am on my own ^^

Look for travellers thread on editing the build.prop file. He's got a 9742, but the idea is the same.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
We should change the instructions for system dumps to include the build date with their system dump. This will help identify the model VERSION for later restore.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From now on, when I suggest to others and making a dump/cm restore, I will also suggest folks make a little comment below the link to their files, etc. to include the build date and model. Thanks tpaine! Hope you're havin' a good one!:)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Coby had a bad habit of changing the internal hardware at the drop of a hat, usually when they ran out of a component from their supplier. Unfortunately, this means that what works for one device may not work for another. In the case of your 9740, assuming that the drivers are correctly installed it's sufficiently different from what the root utility expects that the root utility won't work on your device.

Since I don't have one of these devices I can't correct it, but all is not lost. Check out the other rooting methods in the forums. One of those is bound to work for you.