Having problems trying to root Nook Color...

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
Hello,

I just bought a Nook Color for my wife and want to "Root" it. I searched and found http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html for instructions on acheiving this....

Well Im having problems right away, as the guides discusses How to create a bootable CWR/Recovery mSD card.

It instructs you to download a CWR image file found at Index of /nookdev/clockwork/0.7and write it to your microSD card with Win32 Disk Manager. The problem is that when I download an image file and try and write it, the software tells me there is not enough disk space. I tried downloading the 4, 2 and 1gb image files and they all give me this error. I am trying to write the .img file to a 4gb PNY card. Ive tried to do this on two different brand new cards.

Anyone familiar with this problem? Also, what is the differences in the different size image files the guide tells you to download. What is the advantage of one over another?

Thanks,
Todd

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I found that I needed to format the mSD as a "Primary" disk. I use EasusPM. I am not exactly sure if this will help but it solved my issues when trying to burn images to sd.

The difference in file sizes is the 1gb img is, ostensibly, for a 1gb card. This will burn a 1gb image no matter the size of the card. If you burn the 1gb image to a 4gb card when you insert the card in your PC you will see 1gb boot partition on the mirosd any extra space will be unavailable. Think of it this way if you burn a 2gb movie to a 4gb dvd you have a 2gb dvd without any extra space.

I hope this helps.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
I just tryed downloading and running the Easus PM. It doesn't even see my sd card. Just my internal HD's..... I also tryed WinImage software and I can get it to write the image to the sd card but when I boot the nook with the card in it it does not boot to the card....

I guess there's no easy way to root a Nook..........

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I guess there's no easy way to root a Nook..........

I, and others here, would argue that, but it doesn't always happen the first try.

So just a few details, these are brand new microsd cards that you have formatted? Easus won't see them but they are showing up in "My Computer"?

If you can see them in "My Computer" right-click and format as Fat32, if given the option, make it "primary"? Alternately the same can be accomplished with Disk manager.

:)We'll get you rooted I have no doubt about that! Sometimes it just takes a few attempts:)

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
Yes....

These are brand new 4gb PNY microSD Class 4 cards. I bought two to try. In can see them under My Computer and Disk Manager and I have tried formatting them as FAT32 in windows. I also tried NTFS for fun as well as formatting them in the Nook. Every way I have tried when I use the Win32 disk manager software to try and write the .img file, it tells me there is not enough available disk space. I then found and downloaded WinImage and tried that. It did "appear" to write the files to the SD card (as I then had 4 files written on the card as stated in the dummies guide) but when I boot the Nook with the card in it, it just boots to the Nook internal OS. I do not get an option when I format the sd card in windows to make it primary. The only options I get are allocation size and file format. Any more ideas?

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
Is performing the backup step of the internal image necessary? Can I reset the nook to OEM specs later if I just skip to the actual rooting process now?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Is performing the backup step of the internal image necessary? Can I reset the nook to OEM specs later if I just skip to the actual rooting process now?
Yes as that is the unrooted stock image of your NC. In the event that anything goes wrong you will be able to revert back to the original unmodified NC without any extra steps. The benefits are laid out in one of Faceman's posts I will try to find it.

I am currently searching for answers to your SD woes and will post if I find a solution. I have always used EPM/Win32 disk image and have never had an issue so I am stumped but as I said we'll get you there.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
:confused:I really don't understand not seeing the mSD in EPM that's never happened to me before:confused:
Not to back-track too much, please bear with me, but have you tried burning the 1gb image to the 4gb card and you get the "not enough space error"?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
try sticking the microSD into your camera or cellphone, connect to PC and then write the image then

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
yes, ive tried the 1, 2, and 4gb images to the 4gb card. same error. I also just tried an 8gb sandisk microsd card i already had just for fun, and i get the same error trying to write the 4gb file to it. Im getting ready to try this all again on another pc i have in the house to eliminate possible issues with my laptop....

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
im using a microsd to sd adapter card shoved directly into my reader in my laptop. Also, the easus software would not see my sandisk card either...

i cant have 3 bad microsd cards, something else has to be the problem...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
im using a microsd to sd adapter card shoved directly into my reader in my laptop. Also, the easus software would not see my sandisk card either...

i cant have 3 bad microsd cards, something else has to be the problem...
That sounds as if you have an issue with either the adapter or the SD slot on your laptop. If you have another machine you can use that may fix things. Alternately another mSD to SD adapter might be in order. The only time EPM hasn't seen a card for me is when the adapter/slot/card is bad.

I would also suggest using the smallest image(1gb) for now just to eliminate any other issues. The only reason to use a larger image is to allow for more usable empty space on the card. The core files in each image are the same. As you are only using it for rooting/back-up you only need enough space for the Nooter and your CWR back-up image.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
I will try my other pc to eliminate a problem with the reader. It cant be the sd card adapter as I am using a different adapter for each of the 3 cards i tried. (they each came with their own...)

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
I see some other articles having people plug their nook into a pc with a usb cable after inserting an sd card. Do i need to do anything like that or should the nook boot to the sd card I created without being hooked to a pc?

I tried to write the image again with an older version of WinImage and like before it acts like it worked and writes 4 files to the card, but when I put it in the nook it doesn't boot to it...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I want to start from scratch here, lets pretend you just took your NC out of the box, have it registered and want to root it:
First what version of the B&N firmware are you on; its in the settings>About. Should be 1.0.1 or 1.1.0. After that NookColor Rooting - nookDevs this has the step by step for each nooter depending on your firmware.

I feel as though we have missed a step somewhere in the process. I think you are trying to boot from sd into clockwork to make a back-up before you are rooted and this is where the issue lies. I know that I said that a back-up of the Stock image is good to have but I am afraid that may be the hiccup.