(How To) Manually Install B&N 1.1 Update if Using ClockworkMod Recovery

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
If you have CWR installed, the OTA update will not install automatically or manaually since the update needs the run from the stock recovery. To install the update you will need to remove ClockWorkMod Recovery.

Here is a quick "how to" install the B&N update if you have ClockWorkMod Recovery installed. (Use at your own risk! Installing 1.1 update will break root.)

-Download the ClockWorkMod Removal zip: CWR-removal.zip
-Copy to root of your SD card
IMAG0273.jpg

-Boot into CWR
-Navagate to "flash zip from sd card"
-Clear chache partition and dalvik cache
-Flash stock 1.0.1 kernel (if oc kernel is installed)
-Flash CWR-removal.zip to remove CWR
-Reboot
IMAG0219.jpg

-Once back to home screen, check to see if CWR is removed
-Open Rom manager
-Press "reboot to recovery"
-On reboot, you should get an error from the stock NC recovery
-This will tell let you know CWR was removed and you are back to using the stock recovery
-Hold power button to turn NC off
-Press power button to reboot
bedd3e4d.png

IMAG0268.jpg

-Now you are ready to install the 1.1 update
-Download b&n nook color update 1.1.0: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nookcolor/v1.1/Sideload_update.zip
-Plug you NC up to your pc, unlock to mount drives
-Copy the update zip to the root directory
update11.png

-Eject or Safely Remove the NOOKcolor drive after the file transfer is complete.
-Your NC will then automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the 1.1 updates
-Update will take about 10 minutes to complete
-Do not turn off your NC, it will boot to home screen when complete
IMAG0269.jpg

-Once done, you will get an notification that the 1.1 update has been installed
-You can also go to Setting > Device info > About Your NC and check the software version
e471b3f8.png

6ce54879.png

Things I've noticed since installing update 1.1:
-All info still in tact
-Zeam launcher and set wallpaper are the same
-All apps remained installed
-Most apps work without root (apps that require SU don't work fully)
-Wifi seems more responsive, loads immediately after wake up
-Button Savior back button not working
-Pinch zoom now works on stock browser :)
-Nook Color Tools still work
-Advanced Task Killer works
-All but my "Weather bug" widget works
-Angry Birds works (sound does not)
-Youtube works

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Awesome! I even saw you got quoted on xda last night! :)

-Matt

Yea I saw, scary quoting me lol. :)

Thanks for the thanks.

Update: I'm going to try to re-root my NC today. If it works I'll possibly have a solution for us all, meaning those of you who used the auto-nooter to root. My thinking is the nooter02 file only address root and doesn't install any of the extras, it may be a quick solution for every rooted NC owner who has lost root updating to 1.1.

MacDroid

Jan 27, 2011
Yea I saw, scary quoting me lol. :)

Thanks for the thanks.

Update: I'm going to try to re-root my NC today. If it works I'll possibly have a solution for us all, meaning those of you who used the auto-nooter to root. My thinking is the nooter02 file only address root and doesn't install any of the extras, it may be a quick solution for every rooted NC owner who has lost root updating to 1.1.

Hey there new on these forums but have been on XDA a while. I am relative newbie to android/linux. I am wondering, would z4root if already installed on the nook prior to going to 1.1, be able to be used to reroot it?

MannyPR

Jan 15, 2011
I think I will try that and report back. Hopefully I won't mess it up since I don't even have ADB installed.

MannyPR

Jan 15, 2011
I can't get the nook color to recognize the update... will keep trying.

edit: No luck here. Nook would not recognize the update regardless of what I did. Reinstalled CWR and will wait for a Nootered version that seems to be on the works already.

Last edited:

Vasmi

Aug 9, 2010
Great work I want to do this but im on 1.0.0 and dont have stock kernel do you know where I could find it or can I just install the 1.0.1 kernel thats available also a changed some command lines thru root manager to make bn think I already have 1.1.0 would it matter if I upgrade like that. Thanks

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I can't get the nook color to recognize the update... will keep trying.

edit: No luck here. Nook would not recognize the update regardless of what I did. Reinstalled CWR and will wait for a Nootered version that seems to be on the works already.

If you uninstalled CWR, it should update. Make sure you didn't unzip the file and make sure you placed on root of internal storage.

Great work I want to do this but im on 1.0.0 and dont have stock kernel do you know where I could find it or can I just install the 1.0.1 kernel thats available also a changed some command lines thru root manager to make bn think I already have 1.1.0 would it matter if I upgrade like that. Thanks

Well that's not really updating, that's just fooling your NC into thinking it's already installed. But if that is want you want to do, that is a workable solution.

josue9

Dec 29, 2010
Hi Rico! I have my NC rooted (is the one with sound problem); I talked with B&N support today and they told me that I need to try this update before process the exchange for a new NC. I don't have the CWR installed, so can I update directly? (I mean without remove the root). If I need de-root the NC, what is the process? Thanks in advance!
Jos

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hi Rico! I have my NC rooted (is the one with sound problem); I talked with B&N support today and they told me that I need to try this update before process the exchange for a new NC. I don't have the CWR installed, so can I update directly? (I mean without remove the root). If I need de-root the NC, what is the process? Thanks in advance!
Jos

No will not need to un-rooot your NC to install the new update. But be warned: Installing the 1.1 update either automatically or manually, will break root and at the moment there is no working re-root precess. The manual install process is shown above, start at step: "-Now you are ready to install the 1.1 update".

josue9

Dec 29, 2010
No will not need to un-rooot your NC to install the new update. But be warned: Installing the 1.1 update either automatically or manually, will break root and at the moment there is no working re-root precess. The manual install process is shown above, start at step: "-Now you are ready to install the 1.1 update".

Well this is really weird, but I don't have the CWR installed how ever I can't install the update... first time that NC went to sleep I saw the new "nookcolor" logo (the one with lots of colors shinning) after that, no update, I revised the NC and the update was not longer there, and NC still on 1.0.1 :(

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
ran across this on XDA

Nook Color V1.1.0 Pre-Rooted

This is simply the Sideload_update.zip from the Barnes and Noble website but pre-rooted and configured to be easily flashable via the Clockwork Recovery.

"I initially did a similar thing to update my Nook Color to v1.0.1, but I never shared it with the community as I thought that someone would've already had that out and available. Seeing as there seems to be a lack of that, here's a quick update and template for the community. This should lead to numerous winzip custom ROM's."

Prerequisites:
• Rooted Nook Color (Autonooter, etc)
• Clockwork Recovery
• SD Card with >2GB storage. For backup/nandroid.

How-To
• IMPORTANT! Create a Backup/Nandroid!
• Download the Sideload ROM
• Place it on the root of your sdcard
• Go into ROM Manager. Select "Reboot into recovery"
• When in recovery. Choose "Install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose Zip from sdcard"
• Find it, Flash it!
• Enjoy!

NOTE: There's no need to wipe, regardless from what firmware you come from! This should overwrite all of /system and clear dalvik for you. If you do have issues, try wiping the /cache partition in clockwork.

Download!
Download NookColor_v1.1.0.zip
md5: 1722af53b135fd9c0093a1e4591b54ed

changes he made

Symlinked busybox and set proper permissions so that su works.
Added Nook Color tools and soft keys
Gapps added as well as frameworks/permissions for proper function

credit to Decad3nce

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Rico, do you have any updates to the 1.1 issues you listed inthe OP? Just curious if these have somehow magically fixed themselves or if you have done anything to fix.

Thanks,

JP

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Can somebody please guide me in what i need to do to be able to use" scripts" with my nc. Where do i her the software? Thanx.

sent from my rooted nook color

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico, do you have any updates to the 1.1 issues you listed inthe OP? Just curious if these have somehow magically fixed themselves or if you have done anything to fix.

Thanks,

JP

I really should update the OP. The issue was there was no Autonooter version out yet when written so I was stuck with an un-rooted 1.1 software. So some apps didn't work. Don't have any updated from there since, I wiped my NC and installed the 1.1 ROM.