List of 1.1 ROMs for Viewsonic G-Tablet

P_Town

Jun 8, 2011
There really isn't anything you must save, since you can get the full image back later. Good luck, and welcome to the Forums

Thanks--just wanted to be sure, as I've neglected to save things in the past and regretted it!

P

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
Just ordered a G Tab as a surprise for my wife...couldn't pass it up for $250 when I was about to buy the Xoom for over twice that!

I plan on charging it up, connecting to my wifi and letting Viewsonic update it, as long as that doesn't cause me any problems with wanting to re-flash with one of these other ROMS. Will it? Also, is there anything on the stock machine that I should copy/save to my PC in case of a catastrophic **** up on my part later on down the line (this is my first tablet and first experience with these types of devices... just been a PC person and have modded a Wii and XBox but want to learn!).

Thanks for all of the info,

P

This is just a couple of thought from another noob.
First research the ROM's allot before you decide, there are alot of good ROM's out there.
Second, IMO the most important is to read completely and understand the recovery thread, and how to use nvflash. important to note is that depending on the ROM base you go with(1.1 or 1.2) you will follow different recovery steps. Once you have read and understand the process.... print out the steps anyway, trying to remember something in the heat of the "oh crap, I just borked my wife's new tablet, I'm going to be on the couch for sure, moment" is not a good thing.

Good luck and welcome to the android life. The "flash-a-holics" support group is forming is a town near you check your local directory for the number and address

Dan

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
If anyone has ROMs that they want added please post here or PM me with links.

P_Town

Jun 8, 2011
...IMO the most important is to read completely and understand the recovery thread, and how to use nvflash. important to note is that depending on the ROM base you go with(1.1 or 1.2) you will follow different recovery steps."
Dan

Okay, after doing some initial flashing and restoring with NVFLASH I have some questions.

Regarding the "ROM base (1.1 or 1.2)," I gather that changing from one to another is a bigger deal than simply going from the Viewsonic stock (1.1) to another 1.1 based ROM. Can someone give me a PC OS analogy on what the difference is? I mean, I flashed to Harmony and since I only did a cursory examination I didn't really see what the difference was (other than being visually different with the wallpaper...) from the Viewsonic stock ROM. I'm assuming it has to be much more than that and that there are some changes "under the hood" that make various things run smoother when changing to a different 1.1 ROM, so what is the change to 1.2 equivalent (more or less) to...and why does it seem to be much more risky/dangerous in that one can ruin their device if they do it wrong?

Regarding the quote above: I felt comfortable that I now know how to use NVFLASH, but when I was learning how via the YouTube video I watched it did not mention different steps between using NVFLASH depending on whether or not you had a 1.1 or 1.2 based ROM on the device. Can someone post a link to instructions for the 1.2 way (and does that mean that you really can't ruin the device messing with 1.2 but just need to know HOW to use NVFLASH in this new way to get back to stock)?

Lastly, the reason I simply went back to the Viewsonic stock was because I couldn't get the "Market" to work for me with that Harmony version. It wasn't that I had a "limited market"; I couldn't access it at all. It asked me to log in with my google account then wouldn't let me connect. I tried to set up a new google account and it still wouldn't let me connect. I tried going into the menu and "stopping" the various processes and clearing cache/data but I never got that talked about "market error." If anyone knows why that would have happened it might be good for me to know that as well.

So, long story long... I get the feeling that I should learn about changing to 1.2 since that is what is needed to use the HC ROM and since HC is supposed to be the "true" tablet version of an operating system or whatever rather than a rigged-up phone version. Even if HC is not truly ready for a while, I feel like sticking with 1.1 is like using Windows 98 when I should be preparing for Windows 8.

Thanks,

P

P_Town

Jun 8, 2011
Those who are experienced, please correct this if I'm wrong, as I don't want to lead anyone down a path of G-Tab destruction! (I will add links later for the things I refer to in this post).

I didn't realize it when I first got my G-Tab and installed the ClockWork mod, but the thing came shipped with the stock 1.2 ROM on it. I only realized this when I "upgraded" to the stock 1.2 again yesterday and saw that it looked familiar :) This explains why my original attempt with ClockWork didn't work and why the tablet locked up on me then.

So, for anyone who gets a new tablet and plans on doing ANY modding, the first thing I think you should do is check to see if you have 1.1 or 1.2 installed (go to settings then down at the bottom of the list I think it is the "About tablet" or "tablet info" or some such choice...) and you'll see what version of TnT is installed. Alternatively, if when you first turn on your tablet it has a little "lock" icon that you have to put your finger on and drag up on the screen to "unlock" it, then you have 1.2.

Before you do any modding, I'd suggest you read a post or watch a youtube video on how to return your tablet to stock using NVFLASH (links to be added). NVFLASH is great--it seems to be the easiest way to begin your quest for installing either a 1.1 or 1.2 based ROM.

For those that have 1.1, if you want to stay with 1.1, just follow the guide here that starts off with installing ClockWork and flashing new ROMs...it works perfectly. The same thing applies if you use NVFLASH to return to stock 1.1...

If you want to switch from a base install of stock 1.1 to 1.2 or vice versa, I've found that using NVFLASH is a very easy way to do so. Depending on what file package you use, you just hook up your tablet to your PC with the USB wire, power it on while holding the - Volume, and once the screen goes black you're ready to run NVFLASH on it. It'll automatically wipe and install to stock 1.1 or 1.2 (whichever you choose). Once you do that there nice tutorials on flashing other ROMS (make sure you only flash with a ROM made for the base version you used for stock...1.1 based or 1.2 based).

I used NVFLASH using the 1.2 file set then followed the tutorial to install HoneyComb Bottle of Smoke and so far I can say it is a great improvement, at least visually. To be honest, I'm still not sure what the new ROMs actually do "under the hood" and they all just appear to be cosmetic changes...but in fairness I haven't really used the tablet yet.

P

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks P_Town. I'll see if we can't get a 1.2 tutorial out soon.

GKH

Jul 16, 2011
Fuganater, P_Town
may be you don't have to bother a tutorial.. there is a great site with great details about how to install CWM and NVFlash and flashing new ROM at Viewsonic GTablet for Dummies. here is the link: Start Here - Viewsonic GTablet For Dummies
I went originally there because i had a problem with my GTab. Some apps were getting forced to close specially the calendar. i red that repartitioning will solve this problem. so i followed their procedures, step by step. i installed the the clockworkmod and did the repartition. while my problem was solved and my calendar got to work, i got a more serious problem. my gtab will not connect to my router anymore, while it finds it and tries to get an ip address and then disconnect and retry again and again.
so i used the dummies instructions to go back and NVFlash and reset factory settings. it did without a problem. bottom line, this site is great for the tasks it is there for...
this however does not fix my problem and could not find a solution anywhere. prior to the repartitioning, connecting was no issue. if i can't find a fix, this unit is dead because i can't do anything of the things it is intended for
do u think changing ROM might fix this issue

joe_mcp

Dec 7, 2010
Hello All,

I am trying to make sure I understand how I messed up my tablet (I have since recovered).

I was trying to flash
G-Harmony-Gingebread v2.3.4
G-APPS

During the flash I got an error that it couldn't mount the data partition. I was running a non-gingerbread vegan before the flash. I thought that since I was on a 1.1 ROM (I believe) that I could flash to these.

Do I need to do something different?

I formatted the data partition and the original vegan rom took....

Thanks!

Joe

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Thank you for all the info!! But for those of us that are NOOB's can you please explain some of the terms Quardrant?
an such, and anything that us gtab dummies may not know as yet. we are trying to learn as much as we can.
I do have a question though, I am using Vegan, is TnT lite,the same as TapnTap? I just ordered my second Gtab as my other 1/2 uses mine more than I do. Was wondering if I should try TnT lite on the new one. Any and all feedback is greatly appriciated
Thanking you in advance Jaye

Last edited:

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Hey welcome, I am a NOOB also and I flashed Vegan and it is pretty easy as a noob

SniperDroid

Oct 8, 2011
You might want to add a link to CyanogenMod 7, I loaded it last night, and I am a Noob to Root n Roming devices only having done my Droid 1 and this. CM7 works great!
I loaded the Google apps package as well, and I have no problems at all. Followed the instructions here: Viewsonic G Tablet: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki , and screwed up the first time. You have to load the ROM and the google aps in seperate
steps for it to work. Second time around it worked like a champ! But to give credit where credit is due, this Forum and this thread are what gave me the courage and
confidence to try NOT to brick my gear... Super Thanks to all involved.

10/24/2011 - Found I didn't have Flash working when I tried to listen to the Steelers Game on Iheart Radio yesterday. Did some
searching on the Cyanogen Forum and found I needed to find the "Right" version of Flash to work. Got it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?1lswzg97q7tv8ye

Last edited:

bharath_j

Oct 29, 2011
You might want to add a link to CyanogenMod 7, I loaded it last night, and I am a Noob to Root n Roming devices only having done my Droid 1 and this. CM7 works great!
I loaded the Google apps package as well, and I have no problems at all. Followed the instructions here: Viewsonic G Tablet: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki , and screwed up the first time. You have to load the ROM and the google aps in seperate
steps for it to work. Second time around it worked like a champ! But to give credit where credit is due, this Forum and this thread are what gave me the courage and
confidence to try NOT to brick my gear... Super Thanks to all involved.

10/24/2011 - Found I didn't have Flash working when I tried to listen to the Steelers Game on Iheart Radio yesterday. Did some
searching on the Cyanogen Forum and found I needed to find the "Right" version of Flash to work. Got it here: Adobe_Flash_Player_v10.3.186.7.apk

Hi, Please let me know if skype video call works with this port.