New G-Tablet owner in love! ROM advice needed.

wtang

Dec 13, 2010
Hi everyone! I just picked up a "reconditioned" Viewsonic G-Tablet from Sears for $279. It looks brand new, but I can tell it's been removed from the box and then re-packed. The prior owner must have decided it wasn't right for him/her after just turning it on! Well, lucky for me.

I'm not liking the Tap N Tap UI much so I'm looking at other ROMs. I've read all the threads here about Vegan, TNT Lite, Harmony, Zpad and CM ROMs but I can't decide. I've ruled out the Zpad and CM ROMs because they don't seem to be as polished/finished and they don't seem to be actively developed. Of the remaining ROMs (Vegan, TNT Lite and Harmony) can anybody tell what the main differences or advantages/disadvantages are between them? I'd love to hear personal opinions about why you chose one ROM over another.

My main concerns are speed, smoothness, stability and app support. Good Flash support is essential. I know I can just install each ROM and try them all myself, but I'm worried that just playing with each ROM for a short time I may not notice/realize each ROMs key features and shortcomings. Any help is greatly appreciated!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Really any of those three, although I like harmony. It is a subjective thing though.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Harmony 1.2 worked for me. Had to flash it twice to get it to take but now runs good and pretty damn fast.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
I liked harmony alot but no exchange sync so I am using Vegan 5.1.1 with ADW Launcher EX. It works great.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
True on Exchange, but I use touchdown so it doesn't matter

gingerberry

Feb 21, 2011
Just loaded vegan on mine earlier this morning its lightning fast I love it. waiting for honeycomb and I hope nvidia and epic get off their ass and come out with some real games.

it2steve

Feb 16, 2011
+1 for the vegaN, I ran the ZPAD initially and have tried CM and the Adam port but keep coming back to the meatLESS wonder :)

P00r

Dec 30, 2010
Why don't you try all of them, you will be your own judge...

Beside it will be a good way to familiarize with the tablet..

I sticked to Vegan after trying your 3 choices...

Last edited:

wtang

Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm running Vegan 5.1 with ADW Launcher EX on my new GTab now and I'm loving it.

It was a long bumpy road to get here though. Apparently the previous owner of my GTab did some hacking... the fact that superuser.apk was installed was a clue. :) Anyway, he somehow removed or deleted the recovery image so I couldn't boot into recovery at all. Therefore, I couldn't flash a custom recovery (Clockwork Mod). I had to install nvflash, put the GTab into APX mode, and use my PC to flash CWM to my GTab over a USB cable. Pain in the *ss!

Looking forward to a stable Gingerbread or Honeycomb ROM!

pfd9100

Mar 1, 2011
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm running Vegan 5.1 with ADW Launcher EX on my new GTab now and I'm loving it.

It was a long bumpy road to get here though. Apparently the previous owner of my GTab did some hacking... the fact that superuser.apk was installed was a clue. :) Anyway, he somehow removed or deleted the recovery image so I couldn't boot into recovery at all. Therefore, I couldn't flash a custom recovery (Clockwork Mod). I had to install nvflash, put the GTab into APX mode, and use my PC to flash CWM to my GTab over a USB cable. Pain in the *ss!

How do you get ADW Launcher EX loaded into VegaN 5.1? I had Vegan and went back to G-Harmony for another issue, but couldn't find ADW in Vegan either..

+Another vote for the Honeycomb! I might even be convinced to try some Beta releases!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011

Try Zeam Launcher out. I think its the best one out there for any device.

wtang

Dec 13, 2010
How do you get ADW Launcher EX loaded into VegaN 5.1? I had Vegan and went back to G-Harmony for another issue, but couldn't find ADW in Vegan either..

+Another vote for the Honeycomb! I might even be convinced to try some Beta releases!

Even after doing the Market fix, I couldn't find ADW Launcher when using my GTab. I had to pull the apk off my Android phone and side load it onto my GTab. It works great!

rayw796

Dec 9, 2010
I started with cm7, then Tnt Lite, then VegaN. Came back to TnT Lite and am now at 4.2.5. Speed on Quadrant is 2300. Using Swift keyboard and ADW pro.