New version of ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0.0.5

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
any quick n dirty as to the whys and hows of clockwork? pros - cons appreciated

Quick and dirty Clockwork recovery is one of two popular full system backup utilities for android devices. It enables a users to backup and restore the full android system as well as all installed apps, settings, home screen layouts and configurations. Its works outside the android OS similar to how dos was to windows. The reason why many of us are so happy to see this tool adapted to the NC is it will allows for us to make major changes to the OS and go as far as blow away and install custom roms. It will also allow one to install custom themes, tweaks and tools. There are no disadvantages that I know of, besides it gives one the power to wipe roms and mis-format sd cards.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
is it true that u can backup, but not restore?

Hard to say at the moment. Seems not many people have had the need to restore yet, since there is nothing else to go at the moment. Reading xda, seems backup works for most and there is a debate on whether it is truly perform a complete backup. Some are not finding the restore image. Like everything custom, in the coming day and weeks, Clockwork Recovery will get updated and more and more bugs worked out.

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
I was able to create backup and I can see it if I would need to restore
Don't have the guts to delete and try it :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Someone willing to put up some screenshots of the backup process? I've done a backup before on the Droid with SPRecovery, but never ClockworkMod!

Pretty please?

If it looks as easy as I hope it is, I'll be happy to try a full recovery! You know, take one for the home team. ;)

-Matt

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
When booting hold the Power, n and Vol+ buttons and it will boot in recovery
then select back up and let it proceed ( it will create folder on your SD card clockworkmod/backup/)

Then reboot and repeat with restore - but don't forget first delete all data :)
If you'll do it you be my official HERO - until another one comes along :)

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
When booting hold the Power, n and Vol+ buttons and it will boot in recovery
then select back up and let it proceed ( it will create folder on your SD card clockworkmod/backup/)

Then reboot and repeat with restore - but don't forget first delete all data :)
If you'll do it you be my official HERO - until another one comes along :)
That's sweet, but it's only a slice of the cake. I mean the "whole" process...you know, treat me like a noob! I realize you can't take screenshots in boot recovery, but start from the beginning, i.e., what did you install to make the power-n-vol+ work? Walk me (us) through it!

Oh, and no problem with the restore...once I pick up my third unit. ;)

-Matt

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
Just install ROM manager from market
Flash ClockworkMod Recovery ( it will take only couple seconds )
You can within the same interface backup you current ROM ( you can also manage backups from within the same page)
or enter CWMod recovery with 3 finger boot.
Nothing to it, it's very easy you'll see.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Great, I've got the picture! I think your typical noob will need a little more hand-holding, but I'm not a typical noob. Hope my prodding didn't piss you off...I know my wife has almost killed me a few times for having such a thick skull. :eek:

Think I'll go see if I can get a new unit today!

-Matt