Requesting Firmware Dumps from Coby Generation 3 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaSnOoTeRKiNG

Nov 26, 2012
Yes I pointed this out already /proc/mtd I use cat rather dd same thing though, So these tablets are already kernel rooted? I suspect so.
Current dump script is for allwinner, your tablet is telechips.

just checked your dump, it's corrupt, did you check before upload? corrupt dumps are of no use, redo dump test and upload.

hmmmm sorry mate missed your post about /proc/mtd update anyway dont know why its corrupt but ill try again later... what did u use to check it?

=] nvm i got what your saying just looked at it sorry

Last edited:

reddragon72

Jun 6, 2012
Ok I am in a very touchy, actually not touchy, situation. I ran into a major snag and lost recovery and boot ability. Trust me I tried everything. So I have a tablet with a dead touchscreen. I used livesuite with the img from the OP to get back up and running and that worked.... well sort of. I am not facing the fact that without a touch screen I have to use a mouse and that works, but the issue is that the tablet is constantly rebooting itself during the google setup which is stopping me from getting to the dev options to turn debugging on.

Is there any other way to get recovery on this tablet than through debugging?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ok I am in a very touchy, actually not touchy, situation. I ran into a major snag and lost recovery and boot ability. Trust me I tried everything. So I have a tablet with a dead touchscreen. I used livesuite with the img from the OP to get back up and running and that worked.... well sort of. I am not facing the fact that without a touch screen I have to use a mouse and that works, but the issue is that the tablet is constantly rebooting itself during the google setup which is stopping me from getting to the dev options to turn debugging on.

Is there any other way to get recovery on this tablet than through debugging?

How old is you 7042? I might have a solution for you.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
These files that are being uploaded here... do they contain user/app cache/data, e.g. gmail account names, passwords, financial app data, sms, call logs, etc.?
A typical nandroid backup would, and as such, should never be distributed publicly.
Dumps don't back up the app cache or data partitions and thus should never have that information.

Typical nandroid backups would have that information, however that also depends on when the backup was made. For example, I do offer my nandroid backup of the stock ROM from my 9742 on the forums. Considering that the nandroid backup was made immediately after installing ClockworkMod and knowing that I made no changes to settings whatsoever, it was very unlikely that there would be any personal data of mine in the backup. Thus, I thought it safe to release.

nedbone

Dec 5, 2012
HI all. First post, noob to tablets AND Android. I just purchased an MID9742-8 with the Cortex 8 Proc. I've read almost all of this thread, and now here at the end I find there're people dumping a tablet that seems to be the same as mine. Does this mean someone is working on a root and a ROM for it? Thanks, and sorry for beeing such a noob.....

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
*chuckles*...We've had root on the 9742 for months now. There is one custom ROM for the tablet, but video doesn't work properly on it, so the best thing to do is to stick with the stock firmware and tweak it.

shunova64

Dec 6, 2012
Hi all, was able to successfully root my MID1045 using Bin4ry's Root with Restore. Then used your utility to create a stock system dump. Go ahead and the MID1045 to the index! :)

Haven't been able to install CWM, and tried Google Apps to no avail. Still can't get Google Play working with Root. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! A tablet without the Play Store is just inconvenient.

nedbone

Dec 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply, but the reason I'm looking to ditch the current ROM is because it sucks. No google play, no apps I need. Thanks anyway.....

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Obviously I wasn't really clear in my post so let me try to explain. If you're looking to get the Google apps on the tablet, you do not have to install a custom ROM. It is possible to install the Google apps by themselves. I would know, since I'm the guy who verified it works. It's the same process used to add the Google apps to AOSP ROMs such as CyanogenMod.

If you install ClockworkMod recovery for the 9742, a link to it which is available in the Development Index sticky at the top of this forum, from there you can install a Google apps package on a stock ROM and get all the Google apps you need.

I describe the process in one of my posts on the forum. Use the search engine to find it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.