[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

darkenedaura

Mar 10, 2011
*EDIT* Rico is of course correct. Beta2 installs onto the internal memmory. There are SD card roms for Froyo, but Beta2 is not one of them.

I'm not an expert, but I did give Phiremod Beta2 a try last week. That said:

1) Yes, I'm pretty sure you will need to do this. I also think you should do this to take advantage of the extra speed. I think that Kernel is also set up to run at 75% voltage compared to stock, so if you pair it with SetCPU (which is a must buy if you have not already bought it) you can extend your battery life.

2) Yes. Read up on Ti Backup (this is also a must have for various reasons). You can use this to back up your apps and then reinstall them after you switch roms. I have not figured out how to do this yet, but I don't have that many apps. I just redownload and install them. Don't worry if you've purchased apps. They will show up in the Market as purchased and availble for download at no additional cost if you sign in with the same gmail ID.

3) See Rico's post above. To clarify, you use the SD card to load the rom into the internal memmory. It does not run from the SD card after install. There are Froyo roms that run off the SD, but I'd recommend using the internal memmory instead as it should run faster. As everyone always says, make a backup of your current setup before you start messing around and you should be good to go. If you don't know how to make a backup, go into Rom Manager and select "boot to recovery." When recovery loads up, select backup and restore and then backup. It will take 10 minutes or so to complete. When it's done, mount the SD card in Windows (or whatever you use) and copy the backup onto your desktop for safe keeping.

I think the above is all correct.

That said, I decided to give Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 a try and I like it more than Beta2. Just seems to run a little faster and my WiFi works better. YMMV. The same rules apply for going to Nookie Froyo if you decided to go that route instead.

Cool thanks! Btw, what video player do you use Mooniegt? Also for titanium back up, I noticed you have to restore the apps one at a time unless you get the pro version (which is like $6 :( too much imo); does Astro allow you to restore all your apps in one go? Or would you need the pro version for that as well?

Thanks all!

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Ti Backup Pro - I guess it just depends on how often you will be switching roms. If you do it once a week, I think the $6 would be worth the time savings (especially if you have a lot of apps). I don't have very many apps and I'm pretty happy with Nookie Froyo at the moment, though CM7 with bluetooth is calling my name...

Astro - I'm not familiar with Astro, others will have to chime in on that one.

Video player - I don't know :). I have not put any videos on my NC since I switched from B&N rooted (at that time I just used the Gallery app). I'll be going on vacation in a month so I guess I need to figure that out for the plane ride huh. What is everyone using to watch videos on the NC?

Last edited:

darkenedaura

Mar 10, 2011
rockplayer works pretty well for me. I play mostly divx/xvid avi files. Astro works great for application backup as well.

I've started using astro and I have to say that I love the UI. I had previously been using ES File explorer which pales in comparison. I'll probably tryout flashing phiremod tomorrow night :)

darkenedaura

Mar 10, 2011
Sorry if this is a (yet another) dumb question, but how do you reboot the the NC without doing a power off/on or using Rom Manager to go into CWM?

Also a real question, I've got phiremod beta 2 on my NC now, but Youtube video freezes, and then audio goes on infinite loop... help? :)

Last edited:

darkenedaura

Mar 10, 2011
Sorry if this is a (yet another) dumb question, but how do you reboot the the NC without doing a power off/on or using Rom Manager to go into CWM?

Also a real question, I've got phiremod beta 2 on my NC now, but Youtube video freezes, and then audio goes on infinite loop... help? :)

Okay, so I figured out to solve the Youtube issue (just uninstalled it with TiBu, then reinstalled it from my backup)... I guess like a baby, sometimes you have to let noobs self-soothe :cool:

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of browser you guys like to use? I saw a lot of people mention Dolphin, but I can only find the non-free 5$ version :(

darkenedaura

Mar 10, 2011
Hey Guys, has anyone had any issues with apps not being able to be found on the Market in 2.2? I can't find dolphin browser hd or fancy widget... but I'm pretty sure those are on the market. If I go through App brain, it finds them, but when i press on "market" it says app could not be found? Help please :)

passcfa

Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone have Google Maps working when it comes to determining your location via wifi? I cannot get my location no matter what I try. I've tried older versions, I've tried re-rooting and enabling google to use its location services. It's odd because other apps (Beautiful Widgets) can geolocate just fine. Google Maps cannot.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
I had download the apk for dolphin only desktop and then install it from my SD card. Im not sure why it won't show up in Beta2 or custom nookie Froyo. Had the same issue with pocket legends. Both run just fine though.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Does anyone have Google Maps working when it comes to determining your location via wifi? I cannot get my location no matter what I try. I've tried older versions, I've tried re-rooting and enabling google to use its location services. It's odd because other apps (Beautiful Widgets) can geolocate just fine. Google Maps cannot.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

My Google Maps is pretty much dead on accurate for my current location.

darkenedaura

Mar 10, 2011
I had download the apk for dolphin only desktop and then install it from my SD card. Im not sure why it won't show up in Beta2 or custom nookie Froyo. Had the same issue with pocket legends. Both run just fine though.

Ah okay... where can I get the dolphin apk? Everyone is saying its a great browser and I really want it... but not to pay 5 bucks for it without trying it first :T

darkenedaura

Mar 10, 2011
Is it a pay app? I was able to download from the Market for free when I was on B&N 1.1 rooted...

Well there's a free version, and then a donate $5 version; but I didn't know of its existence when I was on BN 1.1 rooted; now that I'm on Froyo 2.2, the free version "can't be found" or something by the market :T

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can try to use Market Enabler, on the second tab long hold t-mobile US and then choose fake now. This was part of the original install instructions on XDA for Beta 2 but has since been removed for new version (V5) instructions. Credit to Ishroeder for reminding me about this.