[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes someone else wad having problems with this last night...

Can you can confirm that the rom file is around 88mb? And that it is the beta2 one not v2?

Also which version of clockwork are you using?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I just checked and the ROM is 88.5MB and it is beta2 (not V2). I downloaded from the link in the first post since his XDA thread contains information about V4.1 only now.
The version of the CWR I used was 3.0.0.5 (bootable SD).

Did u install beta2 from here Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I downloaded it from the link in the first post of this thread, but I compared them and they seem to be identical.

After you unmounted the SD card, did you remove it to be safe before the reboot?

Yes, I did select unmount SD card and removed it prior to clicking on reboot. The card was physically separated from the NC at the time of reboot. I was puzzled to see that it still managed to boot into CWR menu without the card in there.

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I think he just means "wipe data/factory reset", which is what we usually do when moving to a completely difference rom set.

IMAG0219.jpg

I like screenshot, just haven't had time to look it up. If all fails, I can jsut get off my Evo. Thanks for suggestion

Do we need the above step? (I have now added step and rico2001 note - see discussion in posts that follow).

I just did the following with ROMofChoice being phiremod nook Beta 2
From current eMMC ROM Clockworkmod 3.0.1.0 Rom Manager 3.0.1.2 to eMMC ROMofChoice. In my case current was rooted 1.1.0 Eclair with the Clockworkmod 3.0.1.0 and Rom Manager 3.0.1.2.

I did not come up with this, credits goes to all the people at the links. I just documented what I have done. Thanks for all the contributions in this thread and in the links! You guys are wonderful.

If you need Clockwordmod 3.0.1.0 and Rom Manager 3.0.1.2
File cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip (use this to install Clockwordmod 3.0.1.0 from current Clockworkmod)
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...cwm-3-0-1-0-update-flashable-3.html#post56974
Rom Manager 3.0.1.2 can be installed/upgrade from the market - check for latest now 3.0.1.3

credit to: modified from klfaulk at xda, rico2001 and procedure tested by our faceman

Download ROMofChoice.zip file to computer
Install zip on root of sdcard (use a card reader to put the zip on the sdcard)
Put sdcard in Nook
Boot to Recovery (Clockworkmod and Rom Manager were already installed)
Make backup
wipe data/factory reset* (thanks to rico2001)
Wiped cache, dalvik (if dalvik locks up - forced reboot to recovery)
Format system, data and cache (under mounts and storage)
Use back key (nook power key) to go back to main CMW menu
Select install zip from sdcard
Select ROMofChoice.zip
Wait several minutes for install to finish (You'll get a message when its done)
Select Reboot System at top of CMW menu
Voila! There you are in your ROMofChoice.

*rico2001 "note: I believe wipe data will take care of other 2 cache wipes. Usually I will only wipe cache(s) for kernel, theme or minor rom revision flashes."

Now for the system details
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...beta-2-themed-froyo-2-2-1-a-10.html#post50849 (start with step 16 of this post)

See Post 222 for adding overclock 1.1ghz
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...beta-2-themed-froyo-2-2-1-a-23.html#post58718

SetCPU over at xda there is a developer version that you can sideload for free.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=505419

See the below thread for setting it. Currently there are two different methods in the thread. I do not know which one I would recommend? (The creator of the new kernel over at xda recommends that we do not use any profiles with his new overclocked kernel)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11975970&postcount=752
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...5119-setcpu-settings-nookcolor.html#post29065

Fixes I have found
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...2-best-rom-update-nook-color-5.html#post59217

I am really getting to like this ROM alot!

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Do we need the above step I just did the following with ROMofChoice being phiremod nook Beta 2

Yes it's always a good idea to wipe data when flashing a new rom. There are time when you are flashing a new rom revision to one you already have install, where wiping the data is not mandatory or necessary. As many of us NC owners are going from b&n software (android eclair 2.1) to android 2.2, 2.3 and 3.0, it's a good idea to wipe the data.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Yes it's always a good idea to wipe data when flashing a new rom. There are time when you are flashing a new rom revision to one you already have install, where wiping the data is not mandatory or necessary. As many of us NC owners are going from b&n software (android eclair 2.1) to android 2.2, 2.3 and 3.0, it's a good idea to wipe the data.

This step in my notes would be right after Make Backup and right before Wipe cache, dalvik. I will edit the steps and add this. That is the correct place to do this step? Thanks for all that you do! My darn thanks button is not showing again.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
This step in my notes would be right after Make Backup and right before Wipe cache, dalvik. I will edit the steps and add this. That is the correct place to do this step? Thanks for all that you do! My darn thanks button is not showing again.

Correct. I'd place between a full backup and wipe caches.

note: I believe wipe data will take care of other 2 cache wipes. Usually I will only wipe cache(s) for kernel, theme or minor rom revision flashes.

And a thanks in your post is good enough for me. :)

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
I was having the same problem when installing phiremod beta2. Also, I have not been able to use the latest version of clockwork (3.0.1.0) despite it allegedly supporting both ext and ext4 formats. I, however, was using internal 3.0.0.5 when I did it. Anywho, the fix I found (after re-downloading the phiremod beta2 zip several times) was after installing beta 2, removing the sd, and selecting reboot. Once it rebooted back into cw, I used a fresh sd (not a bootable sd) to "install" remove-clockwork.zip. That removed the internal clockwork that it kept booting to, and allowed it to reboot normally. I saw from the changelogs from various versions of clockwork, that it seemed to be a known issue that some NCs were always booting back into clockwork with early versions of clockwork. I am not sure, but I think that phiremod installs cw 3.0.0.5 to internal while installing, so regardless of if it was there before, it was after.

I also did not install the OC kernel when I installed phiremod, but installed phiremod, and once I was sure it was booting properly, I went BACK into cw to install the kernel. However, after doing that, I got stuck in the bootloop again, and had to flash remove-clockwork.zip again.

For me, phiremod was not playing nicely with cw 3.0.1.0. either. Again, this was surprising as the newest version is supposed to support both formats (ext3 and ext4). I tried to create a backup from cw 3.0.1.0 and it failed (both through RomManager and manually booting into cw.) I flashed 3.0.0.5 back to internal again from RomManager, and manually booted into it, and was able to create a backup just fine. I cannot confirm if this i an issue with 3.0.1.0 or some sort of compatibility issue between phiremod and cw 3.0.1.0.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@armyjeffries - I am creating a backup using RomManager 3.0.1.2 and cw 3.0.1.0 and SD data card. Using RomManager I gave the backup folder a unique name, it launched automatically and identifies itself as ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5, other info..., SD Card mounted..., Rom Manager Version 3.0.1.2, other info..., Backing up boot..., Backing up system..., Backing up data... had to leave a minute ... and when I returned it rebooted back to startup screen. Use ES File Explorer and newly created backup folder was there. I do not if this helps you any but this is what it did for me.

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
I was having the same problem when installing phiremod beta2. Also, I have not been able to use the latest version of clockwork (3.0.1.0) despite it allegedly supporting both ext and ext4 formats. I, however, was using internal 3.0.0.5 when I did it. Anywho, the fix I found (after re-downloading the phiremod beta2 zip several times) was after installing beta 2, removing the sd, and selecting reboot. Once it rebooted back into cw, I used a fresh sd (not a bootable sd) to "install" remove-clockwork.zip. That removed the internal clockwork that it kept booting to, and allowed it to reboot normally. I saw from the changelogs from various versions of clockwork, that it seemed to be a known issue that some NCs were always booting back into clockwork with early versions of clockwork. I am not sure, but I think that phiremod installs cw 3.0.0.5 to internal while installing, so regardless of if it was there before, it was after.

I also did not install the OC kernel when I installed phiremod, but installed phiremod, and once I was sure it was booting properly, I went BACK into cw to install the kernel. However, after doing that, I got stuck in the bootloop again, and had to flash remove-clockwork.zip again.

For me, phiremod was not playing nicely with cw 3.0.1.0. either. Again, this was surprising as the newest version is supposed to support both formats (ext3 and ext4). I tried to create a backup from cw 3.0.1.0 and it failed (both through RomManager and manually booting into cw.) I flashed 3.0.0.5 back to internal again from RomManager, and manually booted into it, and was able to create a backup just fine. I cannot confirm if this i an issue with 3.0.1.0 or some sort of compatibility issue between phiremod and cw 3.0.1.0.

Well... it appears that our little problem (i.e., boot loop with CWR-SD) is related to 1.1 rather than phiremod beta 2. Linky [pages 17 and up have the same issue that we experienced].

The next time I'm putting a custom ROM, I'll revert back to 1.0.1 via the good old "8-failed-boots" method and go from there with the bootable CWR card. Let's see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Youtube questions: I'm now on Beta2 and for the most part, my NC is running very fast (1.1GHz OC). However, youtube playback is not terribly smooth and some videos play only sound (and actually the sound keeps playing if I exit youtube). I'm wondering if I can go to the market and download the youtube app there, which looks like it is a later version than the one that came with my Beta2 rom. Will it mess anything up if I do this? I ask because I know when I set up Beta2 I had to not sign into gmail, and instead sign into youtube to get everything going... just curious if the youtube that came with Beta2 is special and should not be messed with...

Anything else that I've missed about optimizing youtube playback in Beta2?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Youtube questions: I'm now on Beta2 and for the most part, my NC is running very fast (1.1GHz OC). However, youtube playback is not terribly smooth and some videos play only sound (and actually the sound keeps playing if I exit youtube). I'm wondering if I can go to the market and download the youtube app there, which looks like it is a later version than the one that came with my Beta2 rom. Will it mess anything up if I do this? I ask because I know when I set up Beta2 I had to not sign into gmail, and instead sign into youtube to get everything going... just curious if the youtube that came with Beta2 is special and should not be messed with...

Anything else that I've missed about optimizing youtube playback in Beta2?

Sure can't hurt if you upgrade your youtube app, I think the version 2026 on mine. You can also uninstall and reinstall adobe flash a few times, I belive that helped smooth out my video playback not only in the browsers but the app as well.

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Just wanted to report back to say that I just joined the phiremod nook BETA 2 club :D

Since I was having boot-loop problems with CWR, I went back to 1.0.1 first, and put phiremod on from there. Everything seems to be OK at the moment.

Now, time to install programs, restore data and read this thread, along with the one in XDA to see what I should "expect" to see... Thanks again for all the help. From now on, I'll ask phiremod beta2 related questions :D

Last edited:

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
So far, phiremod has been very nice! Here comes the first few question:

When I connect the NC to my PC, I see the SD card under My Computer, but NC doesn't show up (actually, an additional "Removable Disk" shows up, but it is grayed out). Do I need to do anything to enable this? Under settings, the available internal space is reported as 883MB; is this a glitch, or do we actually lose the available space (5GB under 1.1).

Has there been a patch/update for the black-on-black menu fonts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
For people having trouble with YouTube audio playing forever until we reboot. The KMS.apk application that comes with the SD card version of Froyo 2.2 has an option to Kill Mediaserver. This option will stop the audio that is currently playing without you having to reboot your device.

He has a separate thread on the app over at XDA - with a download link. I used the download link and installed it on my data SD card. I then used ES File Explorer to install it.

[DEV][UTIL]App to Kill the Mediaserver - xda-developers

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Sure can't hurt if you upgrade your youtube app, I think the version 2026 on mine. You can also uninstall and reinstall adobe flash a few times, I belive that helped smooth out my video playback not only in the browsers but the app as well.

I uninstalled YouTube and tried to install from the market. It won't let the install complete, it says it is an incompatible update.... YouTube seems to run ok from Dolphin though...

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I uninstalled YouTube and tried to install from the market. It won't let the install complete, it says it is an incompatible update.... YouTube seems to run ok from Dolphin though...

Shut down and restart. Mine would let me install either. I think my message in the notification bar was different though. Finally one time it went through. Still had to do my post 238 above fix to get audio to stop playing.