V. 1.1.0 won't install on rooted NC

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
This morning I downloaded vs 1.1.0 from the B&N website, moved it to the root of the Nook, waited a while, nothing, rebooted several times, nothing. Downloaded it again, did everything again, nothing. In settings it still shows I am at vs. 1.0.1

Anyone have a similar experience

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Clockwork recovery is for rooted users. If you have clockwork you cannot update to 1.1 unless you remove it. I am not sure why it is not updating if your are not rooted.

Here is the thread on Clockwork Recovery http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html.

Hopefully I can explain it the correct way...Clockwork is a custom recovery option. A custom recovery lets you do things in the Android OS (rooted) like make backups of your entire system, install new kernels for speeding your device up, clear cache for space, factory reset your device, and install custom android operating systems called Roms. But you need to be rooted first.

MannyPR

Jan 15, 2011
This morning I downloaded vs 1.1.0 from the B&N website, moved it to the root of the Nook, waited a while, nothing, rebooted several times, nothing. Downloaded it again, did everything again, nothing. In settings it still shows I am at vs. 1.0.1

I had CWR and removed it but once I did I had the same issue as you. The Nook would not recognize the update.

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
So I have to install Clockwork Recovery before I can update to v 1.1.0. is that correct?

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
So I have a rooted Nook, but do not have Clockwork Recovery installed. Sounds like the new version will not install on a rooted NC

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Doesn't the rooting process pretty much eliminate anything that the update would fix? One thing it adds is pinch zoom to the default browser.. Ok, so what? I use Dolphin. I wouldn't see that improvement anyway. To me, I'd rather avoid the update totally instead of risking losing the work I've put into rooting ny NC.. Or am I'm misunderstanding the intent of the upgrade?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I am not updating to 1.1 as of right now, because my Nook is running well and I have clockwork and a custom kernel on it. The 1.1 update does not look to add much. You can install the 1.1 update but you must remove clockwork first and you will have to re-root. I am not sure if the latest auto nooter will work on 1.1, Rico will have to answer that question.

Plus if you have Clockwork recovery installed you will be able to make backups of the entire system, add speed with custom kernels, utilize performance enahncing features, and (this is the best part) install custom Roms. For those not familiar with Roms, they are custom android operating systems that have many perfomance and customization tweaks. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/6386-how-installing-using-clockworkmod-rom-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Are you sure you copied the zip file to the root of your internal storage. Do you have CWR installed? Make sure you have at least 60% battery left. Make sure you are not charging or plugged in you wall or pc and it should start to install.

Moving update file over to storage will look like this:
update11.png

I am not familiar with Clockwork Recovery, what is it?

ClockworkMod Recovery is a Recovery program you can load to your NC to before functions upside the operating system such as full system backups and restores to and from your sd card, wipe storage cache, install themes, keyboards, kernels, custom roms, and clear battery stats. The NC has a stock recovery and so when you install CWR, you replace the stock recovery. Since the b&n updates use the stock recovery, you will get an error when you try to install the update if you are using ClockworkMOd Recovery.

So I have to install Clockwork Recovery before I can update to v 1.1.0. is that correct?

No, if you have CWR installed, you must remove it and restore the stock recovery before installing update 1.1. See tutorial, use at your own risk: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-1-update-if-using-clockworkmod-recovery.html
If you do not have CWR installed, you should be about to get the update over the air through your wifi or manually install the update using instructions from link above or from b&n: Software Updates - Barnes & Noble
see "Get Version 1.1.0 Today" section

Doesn't the rooting process pretty much eliminate anything that the update would fix? One thing it adds is pinch zoom to the default browser.. Ok, so what? I use Dolphin. I wouldn't see that improvement anyway. To me, I'd rather avoid the update totally instead of risking losing the work I've put into rooting my NC.. Or am I'm misunderstanding the intent of the upgrade?

No, rooting only make a user a "administrator" over the device, allowing you to make changes to the operating system. Rooting does not wipe any info or undo any of the update changes or bug fixes.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Alright I have a question. I am not going to update myself, but there was this question in another thread....if one does not have CWR, but are rooted and want to manually load the 1.1 update, would it be better for them to factory restore first, then install 1.1 update or just run the update and break root then re root. Isn't a factory restore required somewhere in there? Sorry about the run-on sentences :)

curttp

Dec 24, 2010
Yes, I copied the zip file to the root of the Nook. And image this, I even know how to verify that it is there. And as I said previously, No I do not have Clockwork Recovery installed.