What can you do with the USB Port?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So far I have tried the following devices and can confirm they work when plugged into my ViewSonic gTab running VEGAn 1.0.0b3

Dell USB Keyboard
Dell USB Mouse
Sandisk 4 Gb USB Jump Drive

Anyone else tried connecting devices here?

valkrider

Nov 5, 2010
I have tried both a card reader and a 1gig thumb drive in my usb port without success. It seems as though on my tablet now power is out put on the usb port as the led on both the ard reader and the thumb drive don't light up. Is ther anything that you have to do to enable the usb port? I have a MID710A running 2.1 allegedly with an A8 processor.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have tried both a card reader and a 1gig thumb drive in my usb port without success. It seems as though on my tablet now power is out put on the usb port as the led on both the ard reader and the thumb drive don't light up. Is ther anything that you have to do to enable the usb port? I have a MID710A running 2.1 allegedly with an A8 processor.
Are you just plugging the things in? On some tablets, you have to boot with the memory stick or keyboard installed for it to work. This is not true for all tablets. Some have plug and play capable USB ports.
Just a thought.
On my Archos 101, I can do Keyboard, Mouse, Memory stick and low powered Hard drives without issue. I cannot use my 3G Stick. But I think it is because it is an old 3G modem design.

valkrider

Nov 5, 2010
Hi, Thanks Gurgle for the suggestion. I have tried plugging in before turning on without success. The usb icon does not show up on the task bar (like I have seen in some other screen shots) so it looks like I need to enable it somewhere as my PC finds a device connected and then can't find a driver so I need to do some digging to get it working.

lejiii

Sep 22, 2010
I have used a keyboard and a mouse, but have been unable to get the memstick to work... running tnt lite 2. Would be interested in anyone who can help with this, being able to expand the memory would make this thing even sweeter! And it already ROCKS!

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I only got my thumb drive to work when reformatting it to Fat32 - only then was it able to read my files. I found that tidbit buried on another site somewhere

knokstudios

Dec 28, 2010
The new Vegan Beta 5.1 supports NTFS

* NTFS support (this gives us the ability to mount drives formatted NTFS which is popular on Windows machines…. Larger File Support)

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I am interested in trying VEGan. Being noob though and just flashing tnt I don't want to get in over my head with anything either. But that is on my list of things to do!!

knokstudios

Dec 28, 2010
Flashing to vegan is just as hard as flashing to tnt lite. I had that before I went to vegan and I enjoy vegan much more. I don't know about battery life on tnt lite but I've had almost a solid 2 hours of use and I'm still at 100% battery life. And I only feel a slight lag after waking up the tablet but its gone in a couple seconds. I truely reccomend vegan.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0B5.1 using Tapatalk

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
Yeah battery life is bit of issue. I have flashed 3 tablets now to tnt and do feel Vegan will be just fine to follow. I'm curious as to how different it runs & looks. I haven't seen video or pics of it.

fred615

Dec 26, 2010
I had no luck reading a memory card through a card reader with my new Upad tablet. On another site, I read numerous comments where people found that trying another cable often worked. So I used a brand new card reader with its brand new cable and I can now seamlessly move photos from my camera card to the micro SD card in the tablet using the ASTRO file manager (available on Android Market and it is able to select multiple files and batch copy them)! Slick...!!

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
I had no luck reading a memory card through a card reader with my new Upad tablet. On another site, I read numerous comments where people found that trying another cable often worked. So I used a brand new card reader with its brand new cable and I can now seamlessly move photos from my camera card to the micro SD card in the tablet using the ASTRO file manager (available on Android Market and it is able to select multiple files and batch copy them)! Slick...!!

What were the differences between the cables?

Davy49

Aug 13, 2011
Hi,
On my gTablet I'm running VEGAn-7.1.0-smb_a1002 ROM, I just plugged in my centon usb 2.0 16 gb data stick to see if my gtab would recognize it. While reading other post's here, one user said that it would be recognized even if it was formatted in the ntfs mode. My gtab wouldn't recognize it..it stated that it was a 'unknown' format.
David :(

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I had to format my stick in FAT32 format and picked it up perfecdtly. Not all have i had to do that with, perhaps they all ready were?? But it worked like a charm for me! I am also running VEGAN on my Gtab. Hope that helps ya!! Good luck!