why can't I uninstall some apps that came preinstalled?

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
I have the apad710 256mb RC2818

There were some apps on there that I don't want or need like a super mario bros rom and another game. However when I try to uninstall (through apkinstall) I get the message the uninstall was unsuccessful.

the program doesn't show up under settings>manage applications...

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
If an app is part of the actual ROM, what we call "cooked," then the only way to remove it is a new ROM. Ths is also what we call Bloatware.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yep. Sorry. If what you want removed is part of the ROM, then you need a new one.

This is exactly why a lot of people started cooking their own. Take aook at the bloat on a Verizon phone.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
that is not so good news... I guess my next question is what would the advantage be to rooting and installing a rom? Besides getting rid of some of these apps..

I have never done that before so I am very timid about getting into it, I don't want to brick my tablet.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Can you get rid of them using something similar to the Google Maps fix?

1. Connect via ADB
2. adb remount busybox
3. rm /system/app/Preinstalled.apk

and if it has a corresponding piece:

4. cd /system/bin
5. sh pm uninstall com.whatever.android.apps.preinstalled
6. sync

I used that trick to get rid of some of the preinstalled apps that came on my tablet that I couldn't otherwise uninstall (and, of course, to fix it so I could update my Google Maps). Might want to give it a try before you start flashing new roms.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
It can cause problems if you dont really know what you are doing.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
It can cause problems if you dont really know what you are doing.

That's true of anything.

If you're ready to consider flashing a new rom to get rid of them, though, you're probably willing to risk messing things up.

The other option, of course, is leave the preinstalled apps intact and just ignore them.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
You can also root your device and use titanium backup to remove bloatware. but be very careful because you can do some serious damage to your device

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Bottom line I guess is there are ways to remove apps from your device, but unless you really know what you are doing here you can not only screw things up but you can easily "brick" your device. My recommendations to you are:

1. Root the device
2. Create a full backup using something like Clockwork or Titanium before you start
3. Create another backup of your device that you will then copy to your PC, or an SD card or a jump drive that you will hide away for when you screw up the first restore image

4a. Find a ROM and try flashing
4b. Become a Chef and try cooking your own ROM
4c. Try removing items directly from your ROM

Good luck, and remember to backup!

p

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
There is a detailed thread about what apps are safe to remove over at xda-developers: Apps that are ok to remove with root - xda-developers.

Could someone please explain, though, how if it is a bloatware app thrown into the rom by the manufacturer/carrier (and NOT a critical part of the OS) that you are removing, why would that "damage" or "brick" the device?

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Could someone please explain, though, how if it is a bloatware app thrown into the rom by the manufacturer/carrier (and NOT a critical part of the OS) that you are removing, why would that "damage" or "brick" the device?

Because unfortunately some of the "Bloatware" apps are tied to system intensive processes. Such as the GTalk services. The actual "Talk.apk" file is safe to remove on its own however if you remove the "gtalkservice.apk" or "TalkProvider.apk" some screwy things start happening. Such as the Google Marketplace loading up correctly, but getting stuck in an endless loop when trying to download new apps.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I would consider the Google apps part of the OS, especially if other apps won't run correctly if they aren't there. When someone says "bloatware" I take it to mean third-party bundled apps that just take up storage space, the removal of which won't affect the operation of other apps or system operations.