AMLogic Tablets, 7033, 7035, 7065, 7060, and So On: Repair Tablet from SD Card

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Definitely sounds like a fantastic system you have setup. gotta like the multi-boot, too.

I am researching bootloaders (stiil working on devising a test for the specially formatted sdcard).

This is where the amlogic open linux website came up. As you surmised, I have not downloaded source from that site. But a blog post mentioned that fards github post came from there originally. How would i know if all this is true, but thats what I read here:

AMLogic Releases AML8726-MX Linux 3.0.8 Source Code

Anyway, good to hear about your kernel progress.

@mcclain_ts If you try the 8065 ext-sdcard boot from the root 8065 thread (post #70), it may help you to understand the 7033 process better Plus, you can make a cwm backup.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Definitely sounds like a fantastic system you have setup. gotta like the multi-boot, too.

I am researching bootloaders (stiil working on devising a test for the specially formatted sdcard).

This is where the amlogic open linux website came up. As you surmised, I have not downloaded source from that site. But a blog post mentioned that fards github post came from there originally. How would i know if all this is true, but thats what I read here:

AMLogic Releases AML8726-MX Linux 3.0.8 Source Code

Anyway, good to hear about your kernel progress.

LOL, no problem fards github is from posted open download, not from that sites protect sources which you link to, fards source came from here GPL code release - Amlogic openlinux this source is nothing like the source on amlogic site, which is full source, the source available to all is what fards has is watered down source, important stuff removed.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Last edited:

Tano

Dec 5, 2013
Hi all,

As some of you will have seen from the thread I started, I have a PendoPad PNDPP4MT9G3 which I'm pretty sure is a re-branded Coby MID 9760 in Australia.

I have managed (with some very patient assistance) to upload a system dump of my tablet, and I want to put it up for testing. I have very little knowledge of the procedures involved (the extent of what I know comes from running Cyanogenmod 7 on my phone for a couple of years), but I'd like to help if I can.

Is it worth me trying to load the 9042 from stock recovery, as tpaine said above? Or is this only for generation 3 tablets?

Note: My tablet is rooted, but I don't have CWM installed or anything like that (in fact, I don't even have gapps).

Let me know what I can do.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The 9042 is a gen3 allwinner cpu, gen4 tabs use Amlogic cpu's.

Please reread the first post instructions on listing your file system. Vampirefo is attempting to give us access to cwm recovery thru fake recovery.

edit add:

There is a possibility you can load fake recovery thru your stock recovery. You can try this by placing fake recovery on an external sdcard. rename it to update.zip. Try to load from your stock recovery.

This may or may not work. But the xx60 tablets differ form the xx65 tabs. Fake recovery came from a xx60 tab, so give it a try.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have been busy, wife chores LOL, anyway I got a 7033 recovery built, it was a B***** Coby went out of their way to lock this bad boy down, I fixed the disabling usb debugging on reboot, another sneaky ideal by Coby. Anyway when I get time I will upload what I have for 7033.

2jcaouv.jpg

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi all,

As some of you will have seen from the thread I started, I have a PendoPad PNDPP4MT9G3 which I'm pretty sure is a re-branded Coby MID 9760 in Australia.

I have managed (with some very patient assistance) to upload a system dump of my tablet, and I want to put it up for testing. I have very little knowledge of the procedures involved (the extent of what I know comes from running Cyanogenmod 7 on my phone for a couple of years), but I'd like to help if I can.

Is it worth me trying to load the 9042 from stock recovery, as tpaine said above? Or is this only for generation 3 tablets?

Note: My tablet is rooted, but I don't have CWM installed or anything like that (in fact, I don't even have gapps).

Let me know what I can do.

you can try the fake 7065 recovery, as it doesn't use it's own kernel and it doesn't install no harm.

Slider2732

Sep 21, 2013
Back from the past :)
My MID7033 is still bricked...so I was delighted to see this thread !

Hoping to help, being as I have a 7033 here.
To recap, it's not even rooted this one, got it on Ebay some while back and had only installed a couple of games. I'm new to Android. Nothing else was done and then one day it sat bootlooping on the Coby logo, right out of the blue. And has ever since.
It will go into the recovery type of section though.

I downloaded Todd's full 7033 dump from Page 2 of the thread.
Downloaded Vampire's edited recovery.img, from Page 6 and replaced the original with that one.
Renamed the dump to update.zip
I've tried to run the both of them, unedited and edited, but get the result shown below in the pic.
Sorry for the blurry fuzziness, the camera doesn't do close up work.

Looks like it's just failing to verify.

So, am really eager to try the method shown in your post above Vampire (if and when you see this).

$100_0004.JPG

Last edited:

Slider2732

Sep 21, 2013
I'll wait around, no problems there, but am interested in what should/may/could happen with a file of wrong signatures ?
You may have a great piece of the puzzle if they are right. As I say, I don't know that much about bricking, except that it happened.

All of this is really making me wonder about the PengPod that my wife has.
They were touted as being able to run Linux from SDcard as well as Android from ROM (hence the Peng bit of the name) and it seems now that perhaps many tablets could run similarly ?
Build our own community O/S's :)
And apologies again if all of it is sounding like so so newbie speak.

*Edit*
Did some poking around in those files 5arid and noted these lines in the metadata:
post-build=samsung/GT-I9100/GT-I9100:4.0.3/IML74K/XXLPQ:user/release-keys
post-timestamp=1347548622
pre-device=GT-I9100

That's a Samsung Galaxy S II ?
Interesting, with the IML74K being seen within the 7033's img files :)
Anyhow, twiddling thumbs here lol

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
@ Slider2732
We aren't yet to the point where we can fix a nonrooted bootlooped 7033. The bootloop problem is real on these tablets, caused by the nand, getting corrupt, happens to me as well. I have only had this tablet a few days, but have made progress as well as making tools to correctly format nand, I have had to modify the CWM recovery to not install backups, and formatting needs to be done via command line using my tools, as recovery formatting partitions can cause bootloop.

The bootloop is caused when the default recovery formats any partition, So what my recovery will do is provide adb support, as well as flashing roms. if nand partitions becomes corrupt, then reboot into CWM recovery use adb to correctly format and repair it.

This is going to take some time, for me to write instructions so that most people can follow, not everyone will get it, I will load the recovery with scripts, so people just type the script name and it executes the commands, so as not to confuse people.

example

Code:
/sbin/busybox1 ubidetach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 4 -d 0
ubiformat /dev/mtd/mtd4 -q -e 0
ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 4 -d 0
ubinfo -a
ubimkvol /dev/ubi0 -s 374MiB -N System
busybox mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 /system

instead of typing all above to format system.

user would type

adb shell

format system

Slider2732

Sep 21, 2013
I see, thanks for the info :)
Needless to say, if a confirmation run of anything needs doing, just shout.
Am running Xubuntu here, haven't got the tools etc set up on it though (rebuilt the PC recently). If I should and/or it would help, then i'll do that.

Last edited: