[eMMC ROM] CM7 Development Release (03-11-2011) (now with Bluetooth!)

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
thank you in advance for contributing to this build and supporting users like me!

I jumped right into this with my Nook Color and am now running CM7 nightly build 19. So I essentially registered Nook, then loaded CWR package and CM7.zip and gapps.zip onto my uSD in terminal (dd) then followed steps to put it onto the eMMC (internal). unfortunately this is my first andriod experience so I am not sure what is normal and what isn't, but here is my first impression. I am not sure which kernal I am running either.

Is there a generic android market? I saw a 3rd party one at first thinking this was the one to use and signed up for it then went back to what I thought was the normal one linked through gmail. I will say that finding angry birds on my Nook was a bit of a headache (or any app not on the desktop/home for that matter). For the longest time I couldn't figure out how to find the app once it was downloaded and installed from the market. I simply couldn't find it, but then after playing around for 15 min. I figured out to mess around with the check boxes in upper left corner and there was a drop down menu. Do I need to manually create a shortcut for each app onto the desktop? seems like a PITA for the dozens and dozens of apps I'd like to install. Also the process of reverting back to an already open app was weird unless there was a short cut in place.

The checked boxes only tell you what is being downloaded or what was just installed.That is where all notifications are found..

There should have been a "Market" icon in your app drawer. The app drawer, should be at the bottom center of the screen. If it is not there do the following in this order...

1. Upper right hand corner, click the 3 stacked bars
2. Bottom right corner, click settings
3. Click ADWLauncher
4. Click General Behavior.
5. Click swipe up actions or swipe down actions
6. Click Open/Close App Drawer
7. Click the "n" at bottom of Nook
8. Slide finger up or down depending on step 5

Now all your apps should be there.

***Optional***
If you press and hold app icon, while the app drawer is open, the screen will go back to home screen where you can place app short cuts.

Also, in the settings I see that there is an overclock option up to 900 mhz. Do I need to add a different kernal to get it to 1 or 1.1 ghz then ?. . . I did see a couple others posted. Do I set the min or the max? e.g. is the system smart enough to adjust accordingly or do I need to overclock the min?
Yes you will need another kernal. I dont have link right now, sorry.

Youtube through browser or app wont work. Not sure if maybe i need to install flash? I wasn't looking forward to the battery hungry flash player.
I have heard that you will need to install Flash via the Market.

One last thing. I thought that the pinch to zoom and clicking in web pages was a bit finnicky. maybe I just need to get used to it or maybe my gunk protector screen is reducing sensitivity.
It is a slight learning curve.

I also don't quite understand how this is just a "build." it works great! can I update without using CWR when the final version is released?
You can do that or even better, update through Rom Manager, you can find it in the Market.

I haven't tried bluetooth yet but I did see the enable options in settings. I will try with my jawbone tonight.

I hope this was some help.

progress.gif

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
thank you in advance for contributing to this build and supporting users like me!

I jumped right into this with my Nook Color and am now running CM7 nightly build 19. So I essentially registered Nook, then loaded CWR package and CM7.zip and gapps.zip onto my uSD in terminal (dd) then followed steps to put it onto the eMMC (internal). unfortunately this is my first andriod experience so I am not sure what is normal and what isn't, but here is my first impression. I am not sure which kernal I am running either.

Is there a generic android market? I saw a 3rd party one at first thinking this was the one to use and signed up for it then went back to what I thought was the normal one linked through gmail. I will say that finding angry birds on my Nook was a bit of a headache (or any app not on the desktop/home for that matter). For the longest time I couldn't figure out how to find the app once it was downloaded and installed from the market. I simply couldn't find it, but then after playing around for 15 min. I figured out to mess around with the check boxes in upper left corner and there was a drop down menu. Do I need to manually create a shortcut for each app onto the desktop? seems like a PITA for the dozens and dozens of apps I'd like to install. Also the process of reverting back to an already open app was weird unless there was a short cut in place.

Also, in the settings I see that there is an overclock option up to 900 mhz. Do I need to add a different kernal to get it to 1 or 1.1 ghz then ?. . . I did see a couple others posted. Do I set the min or the max? e.g. is the system smart enough to adjust accordingly or do I need to overclock the min?

Youtube through browser or app wont work. Not sure if maybe i need to install flash? I wasn't looking forward to the battery hungry flash player.

One last thing. I thought that the pinch to zoom and clicking in web pages was a bit finnicky. maybe I just need to get used to it or maybe my gunk protector screen is reducing sensitivity.

I also don't quite understand how this is just a "build." it works great! can I update without using CWR when the final version is released?

I haven't tried bluetooth yet but I did see the enable options in settings. I will try with my jawbone tonight.
Just to add to Kabbie's advice https://github.com/dalingrin/NookColor_Kernel this is the link to the latest OC kernal from Dalingrin, if you haven't flashed it already. It is stable and can be managed through the CM settings in the main settings page. I would recommend SetCPU if you are going to overclock. It is a paid app but worth it to have direct access to the settings.
The OC kernal will give you better performance and better battery life. I get 10+ hours of usability, not video, but usability @1100mhz.

If you installed the gapps package you should have the market though it may need to be updated in order to access all the apps.

You need flash 10.1 installed in order to watch video. It is going to drain you batt no matter what as hardware acceleration is not yet implemented in this ROM. There is an update to Flash 10.2 floating around in one of the threads is seems to have given me better stability in browser videos. Found it http://lts.cr/S4r

Important to note the Youtube app does not work. In order to use YT you need to first install Flash, then a browser like DolphinHD. Set the browser user agent to desktop and then YT will work in the browser.

If the screen is wonky click the power button off then on after power up, usually fixes touch screen issues.

Bluetooth should work but may require a reboot or "Fix Permissions" To do this go into ROM Manager click "Fix Permissions" and when it is done reboot. This has solved many problems for me in the past.

You can update nightlies fairly easily but I wouldn't use CWR just yet. There has been some issue with providing over-the-air updates for CM7 on the NC so for now just check the mirror CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution and reboot into CWR to flash the new zip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I can agree with most of what LocalStain has said with the following exceptions:

Just to add to Kabbie's advice https://github.com/dalingrin/NookColor_Kernel this is the link to the latest OC kernal from Dalingrin, if you haven't flashed it already. It is stable and can be managed through the CM settings in the main settings page. I would recommend SetCPU if you are going to overclock. It is a paid app but worth it to have direct access to the settings.
The OC kernal will give you better performance and better battery life. I get 10+ hours of usability, not video, but usability @1100mhz.
As of an update or two ago, you do not need SetCPU anymore with CM7. Once you flash the OC kernel you have access to all the overclocking steps from within the CM7 settings (Settings --> CyanogenMod settings --> Performance --> CPU settings [Available Governors: interactive; Min CPU: 300; Mac CPU: 1100; Set on boot: checked]
You can update nightlies fairly easily but I wouldn't use CWR just yet. There has been some issue with providing over-the-air updates for CM7 on the NC so for now just check the mirror CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution and reboot into CWR to flash the new zip.
More specifically, you do not want to use ROM Manager to update CM7 nightlies. It goes wonky... you want to update manually. You can use ROM Manager to reboot to recovery and make backups and restore from backups without worry though. Just don't try to update nightlies until we get a ROM Manager that plays nice with them.

andreid

Mar 15, 2011
great thanks for the advice! I'll post back after flash 10.2 and 1100mhz OC kernal are installed and tested.

So far I am having a little trouble transferring files .. pdfs for example off my uSD card, but maybe I formatted it wrong? using FAT/32 I believe. From here out though I will do more research on my own before posting .. I am just slightly confused on whether I should follow the general CM7 threads info or if I need to make sure I am on specifically Nook Color CM7 threads. I've never owned an android smartphone so I have no frame of reference yet.

I'm I cant imagine CM7 WITH hardware acceleration if it already runs this well.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
it's close... dalingrin posted a test build last night with a working DSP... there's issues (such as being limited to a max of 16fps, but youtube app works.)

More info to come!

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Important to note the Youtube app does not work. In order to use YT you need to first install Flash, then a browser like DolphinHD. Set the browser user agent to desktop and then YT will work in the browser.
Cant find Flash 10.2 (market still gives 10.1) and I need more instructions about how to use Dolphin for Utube.Where is this user agent?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Cant find Flash 10.2 (market still gives 10.1) and I need more instructions about how to use Dolphin for Utube.Where is this user agent?

Youtube App is now working in n22. A little slow but it works. For the DolphinHD workaround if you need it; from within Dolphin menu>more>settings>user agent>desktop it is 1/3 of theh way down the page under "Dolphin Settings"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4844842/Surprise_flash.apk here's the 10.2 don't know if it makes a difference at this point.

Last edited:

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
got mine working off the SD, although it displays the thumbnails, youtube widget does not play the videos (i have flash 10.1) however going to some flash enabled sites seem to work (including youtube) also tried both a streaming radio site with video (indytheater.com), a flash chat site and a flash video site (AviewTV) and they work, others like atom dont

on all sites, the video playback was crappy

also tried the 10.2 - a little smoother playback but lost the sound

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Youtube App is now working in n22. A little slow but it works. For the DolphinHD workaround if you need it; from within Dolphin menu>more>settings>user agent>desktop it is 1/3 of theh way down the page under "Dolphin Settings"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4844842/Surprise_flash.apk here's the 10.2 don't know if it makes a difference at this point.
Thank U my friend.
I finally did it and Utube works very nice. :)

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
I was trying to load this rom last night. The instruction say you need to burn cwr onto an SD card. I did that. Next it says to copy the zips for the rom and for google apps onto the SD card. If I try to access the card in windows after I write the cwr image it says the drive is not formatted and I can't get into it to copy the zips... Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I was trying to load this rom last night. The instruction say you need to burn cwr onto an SD card. I did that. Next it says to copy the zips for the rom and for google apps onto the SD card. If I try to access the card in windows after I write the cwr image it says the drive is not formatted and I can't get into it to copy the zips... Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!
Probably U didnt burn correct the image.Format the card and try again.
U should be able to access normally with windows explorer like any other memory card.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
The first time I used the 2Gb file and got the "this disk is not formatted..." message. So this time I tried the 4Gb file and got the same message... Any other ideas? I tried accessing the SD card on my work laptop and got the same message (if that matters).

Note: when I extracted the image files, they did not extract out with the .img extension. I just renamed them to add the extension. Does that matter?