Root Coby 8065 via ADB

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Just a quick hypothetical question.

Once after installing su and the new busybox, if I were to(and I'm not planning on doing it) factory data reset/wipe from inside Android or from stock recovery, would that also wipe/remove my root and the newly installed(updated) busybox? Sorry, I know it's beyond the scope of this thread. I'm curious, and figured no harm to at least ask. Thanks! Hope your day/night are going well!

Todd

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Just a quick hypothetical question.

Once after installing su and the new busybox, if I were to(and I'm not planning on doing it) factory data reset/wipe from inside Android or from stock recovery, would that also wipe/remove my root and the newly installed(updated) busybox? Sorry, I know it's beyond the scope of this thread. I'm curious, and figured no harm to at least ask. Thanks! Hope your day/night are going well!

Todd

Good question. The root process performed in this thread adds su.bin and superuser.apk to the system files. If you installed the root_coby.zip file from recovery, it adds those 2 files plus a new busybox.

System files are not affected by a factory data reset/wipe. Only the data and cache partitions are wiped.

Were you able to boot the fake recovery and do a cwm backup ?

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Hey there!(warm smilz)

Hope you're having a good night! Thanks for answering my Q:s.

I haven't been able to create the external sd card. I've been trying my hardest to setup a working environment on the laptop, so I can try to teach myself how to develop.(slowly) I don't know if the laptop is powerful enought to do so. The Beginner's Guide I've been trying to follow from XDA-University? Well, whoever wrote it sort of "dropped the ball".LOL Not that I'm complaining. I got all the way to the part where I download the sources from Git, and then sync. But the guide was just too vague as to which/any repository to enter. I attempted Cyanogenmod/9.9? branch. But the guide was vague, so I am not seeing anything pulled from the repo, and placed on the laptop.LOL Sorry, I know this is all off topic. The files that Vampire created, I can just place them on a standard microSD, and attempt it?? ? Sorry.(warm smilz) Still learning. ALWAYS learning.(smilz) Thanks for answering my questions about the wiping thing. I just figured it was something I should know, and to share with anyone else who might ask, in the future.
--------------------------

I hope it doesn't get too cold there.(where you are) (6) days straight here, where I go out in the morning to scrape the ice off of my mom's car, and warm it up for her.(smilz) I worry about her even being on the road when it gets icy.(warm smilz)
GOTTA BUNDLE UP!(smilz)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take care and have a good night tpaine!

Todd

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Hey there!(warm smilz)

Hope you're having a good night! Thanks for answering my Q:s.

I haven't been able to create the external sd card. I've been trying my hardest to setup a working environment on the laptop, so I can try to teach myself how to develop.(slowly) I don't know if the laptop is powerful enought to do so. The Beginner's Guide I've been trying to follow from XDA-University? Well, whoever wrote it sort of "dropped the ball".LOL Not that I'm complaining. I got all the way to the part where I download the sources from Git, and then sync. But the guide was just too vague as to which/any repository to enter. I attempted Cyanogenmod/9.9? branch. But the guide was vague, so I am not seeing anything pulled from the repo, and placed on the laptop.LOL Sorry, I know this is all off topic. The files that Vampire created, I can just place them on a standard microSD, and attempt it?? ?

For straight boot from ext-sd, no special formatting is needed. The special is for running the full system from sd or recovery from brick, where the on board bootloader/boot/recovery are bad.

Just place the custom 8065 recovery in the root of your ext-sd. rename this file to uImage_recovery. Next copy fake recovery to the ext-sd.

Boot to recovery (vol+/pwr)

Because you booted the custom recovery, you can now load the update from recovery, select fake_recovery.zip

If all went well you will see the cwm recovery screen. You can now do your backup.

arwoot

Nov 11, 2013
Just a quick question, If we want to root the coby 8065 using the micro sd card method. We:

1. We download this file mid8065_arm_cortex_a9_4.0.3_stock_rom_dump_after_root.zip?
2. Rename this file to uImage_recovery.zip?
3. Then place this file into the root of your ext-sd card.
4. Boot to recovery (vol+/pwr) and load the uImage_recovery.zip from the tablet??

If I have steps or files wrong please correct me.

Thanks very much.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Looks like you have been following right along. You are a bit ahead of me here. I'm having trouble with my internet connection and other projects. Later on today I will post the files and links.

The basic outline is:

You will need 2 files for root via ext-sd card.

1. the specially modified 8065 recovery (allows non-factory zips to be installed)
2. the Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip

Place the special recovery file in the root of your ext-sd. Rename to uImage_recovery.
Copy the Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip to the root of the ext-sd card.
Boot to recovery with ext-sd in tablet.
Choose update in recovery. select Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip

Thats it.

Again, I hope to have the files assembled and uploaded later today or tonite.

arwoot

Nov 11, 2013
This is great.. I'll keep a lookout for the post with the links.. has anyone had any success upgrading the rom (once rooted) on the coby 8065 to an android version higher than 4.0.4? Can we get this to run Kit Kat 4.4 from Cyanogen? Seems like the hardware is pretty capable at a dual core 1.2 ghz.. about the same as a galaxy s3, which I have running Kit Kat.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
In order to do this, you must have ADB up and working.

Files to download: AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root.zip here >>>AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root

This method is the same as we use on Coby 3rd Gen.

You must have adb setup and working correctly to use this method. It should work for other Gen 4 Coby's.

extract AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root.zip to your adb directory.

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xdaa4 0xaffb sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su

Always make a system dump after rooting.

Update 11-16-13

11-16-13 Vampirefo is developing a root method for the 8065 that doesn't require adb. for more info >>>>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7035-7065-7060-so-repair-tablet-sd-card.html

The purpose of this thread is to avoid any confusion over 7065 root methods being applied to 8065. WARNING: DO NOT USE METHOD 2 from Root Coby 7065 via Adb and Recovery ! This will force a factory reset and possible damage to your 8065 !

IF YOU NEED TO GET ADB WORKING >>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-4-technical/62708-easy-adb-install-windows.html

windows drivers are still being developed, start with the coby gen3 drivers here: >>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...59-basic-driver-installation-windows-pcs.html
Then add this file to your .android directory >>>>> Coby_Gen4_driver
(tested in Windows 7 and 8 only)

Credit to Vampirefo's method and original thread here >>>>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...al/58323-root-coby-7065-via-adb-recovery.html

Archiving.

These are the files required to root from ext-sdcard.

1. Download 8065_root.zip and extract.
2. Place the 3 files, 8065_uImage_recovery, Amlogic_coby_fake_recovery, and Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip on your ext-sdcard.
3. rename 8065_uImage_recovery to uImage_recovery.
4. power off tablet.
5. hold volume up, press and hold power for 5 seconds release power keep holding volume til you see recovery.
6. use recovery to navigate to Amlogic_coby_fake_recovery.zip and install. This loads cwm recovery.
7. Now use cwm (fake recovery) to install install Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip

8065_root.zip >>>>> http://www.mediafire.com/download/il9vplujus8qyrw/8065_root.zip

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all !

11-28-13 updated to include fake recovery.

Last edited:

arwoot

Nov 11, 2013
First Off, Happy Holidays and a very happy ThanksGiving.

I tried everything line by line and I get the following info in recovery:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

When I :rename 8065_uImage_recovery to uImage_recovery should the file have some kind of extension like .zip or exe? On the card it doesn't seem to have one.
Should I be wiping the cache or anything else to get it to verify the "whole-file signature"? Anyone else having this issue when trying to attempt this update in recovery?

Thanks again.. I feel like I'm very close.. maybe something small is wrong?

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Yahoo!! It worked! Got my 8065 rooted. Thanks again for your patient building of this SD card method. Anybody figure out a way to update the rom to a newer one :)

Glad it worked for you. You were a big help in working out the details.

For the prospect of updates/custom roms, the boot from external sdcard allows us to try different roms and even dual boot.
Vampirefo is dual booting his 7065 right now. Read more here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7035-7065-7060-so-repair-tablet-sd-card.html

His method allows us to try any rom without having to modify the tablet.... Fantastic !

PS now is a good time to make a cwm backup.

Last edited: