Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

spiritwolf

May 17, 2011
This is great news! Might I suggest that since you can use another SD card internally people save their original cards as backup in case something goes wrong. Also, the C8 batteries have a different reading than ours so I expect the battery meter will be off. The C8 is a capacitance screen, is there still a way to calibrate?

i agree the battery meter is not accurate...as for calibrate i did not do that since it is not included and the touching is accurate for me..

it is set already..

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
So now I'm wondering if you had kept your original internal card, assuming it wasn't messed up and used another would you be able to restore to the original firmware?

spiritwolf

May 17, 2011
So now I'm wondering if you had kept your original internal card, assuming it wasn't messed up and used another would you be able to restore to the original firmware?
mines was messed up the SD card yes i did use another 8gb card. i left the 4gb card that tablet original came with as it is...

astaccz

May 17, 2011
i can confirm this works but not really usable. browser force closes, battery is a little off, soft keys dont work only the silver round button (works as back button, volume rockers dont work, screen is more responsive but not accurate. I myself used another sd card to install and left the untouched 4 gb. How can I restore the tab back to the original 2.2. Also thanks to the OP this information could probably be used for future development.

astaccz

May 17, 2011

I put in the regular 4gb card that I left untouched and did the same update combo keys but it did not go back to 2.2. Its still the gingerbread.

astaccz

May 17, 2011
Trying to put it back to factory with 2.2. I'm just glad it isn't bricked. So if I download the hero tab but the updated version since the one in the open have bugs, u think it'll be better?

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
At this point you may be stuck with the HeroTab firmware. Our tablets version of u-boot is over-written by the C8 update. In the process the new u-boot files may write into memory space beyond our u-boots range. By doing so the new u-boot is kind of write protected. I have not tried the firmware, however in other thread discussions this does seem to be what is happening.

You may be able to load the newer updated HeroTab file but I'd be concerned about bricking the tablet. Good luck!

As the OP stated in the first post " This is only for bricked tablets "

astaccz

May 17, 2011
Yea I might as well just leave it like it is until a true rom comes out. So what will push development more? Does coby need to release a rom update or something so devs can work with that?

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
An official ROM from Coby would go along way. Hopefully they will have a maintenance release like they did for the 7015 to fix some of the problems. The original OP said with the GB FW his soft buttons worked, maybe you should try to reflash the tablet?

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Hmmm... ok... So I popped open my 7024 and there is no removable card on the inside of the device. I pulled out the battery and circuit board just to make sure the card wasn't connected underneath as well. So for the people stating they can remove a card from INSIDE the device ... where the "blankety-blank" is it? Am I blind?

I even took pictures of the inside to review and even in the picture there is only a cutout in the circuit board in the shape of a standard SDcard (top left in photo linked below). But again, there is no card or even a port to plug a card into ... other than the external microSD port.

Any ideas?

My Coby Kyros MID7024 insides photo

Jory76

Apr 18, 2011
In the teardown thread it appears to be in the lower left corner. About where the black thing is in your picture.

IMAG0128.jpg

Last edited:

BULLDOGG

May 3, 2011
ive done alot of the diffrent firmwares. some buttons work some dont some wireless work some dont. i wish i knew how to modify firmware. cause some these would work perfect for our tablets. you must have to use a smaller gig sd card. cause when ever i use a 32 gig it has issues.