Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

tekmisia

Mar 17, 2011
I flashed using this technique and unfortunately, it force closes most apps. Getting around settings is fast and smooth but apps dont install or run. Bummer.

Update*** The memory card is under the black tape.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010

2011-05-18_11-16-05_218 by dave52355, on Flickr

Here is under the tape. Not sure if you can remove the card or not. To me that yellow capacitor, resistor looking thing might be in the way. I tried moving it gently ( the SD card ) but it would not budge.

Last edited:

astaccz

May 17, 2011
I flashed using this technique and unfortunately, it force closes most apps. Getting around settings is fast and smooth but apps dont install or run. Bummer.

Update*** The memory card is under the black tape.

Look like you rin the same boat as me. Ive been trying other hero tab firmware but some works and some do not. I tried one which seemed to work the most but I was unable to get passed setup screen.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Look like you rin the same boat as me. Ive been trying other hero tab firmware but some works and some do not. I tried one which seemed to work the most but I was unable to get passed setup screen.

If you open the zip file and look under /system/build.prop ( I think is where I saw it ) you should find something like: " run setup = " I've seen the = be 1 or 0 also yes/no and a few other responses. You might try putting a " # " in front of that command causing the system to skip over that. Might resolve your setup problem. Remember to re-save the zip before trying to install.

Don't know if this will help or make things worse.

tekmisia

Mar 17, 2011
Once you remove the thin strip of tape from the ribbon cable, getting to the sdcard is very easy. I retape after changing the card just to ensure a good connection.

What build were you having the most success with? I am not a pro at this but could be a fun project.

Good call on the build.prop file. I will take a closer look at that when I get home this afternoon.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Hey Dogg, was your tablet bricked or do you have a good original internal card? Wonder if Clonzilla would image that 1 gig Linux partition on there?

astaccz

May 17, 2011
Before i even started to flash the gingerbread on the OP, I cloned my 4gb to an image using Easus TODO backup. Everything is original before I tried to flash anything. There are about 3 linux partitions and the usable fat 32. I dual boot ubuntu and looked in the linux partitions and there are system files didnt mes around with it though.

astaccz

May 17, 2011
Ok bulldogg i used the haipad firmware you posted and flashed it. On mine I got force closed and the setup wizard I could not get passed.

Using daves advice I change setup wizard from OPTIONAL TO DISABLED AND I removed all the apps that were force closing which included (phone, maps, google voice, and other apps not necessary). After I removed all those apps and edited the build.prop with daves advice, My tablet booted straight up with only the core apps which are (gallery, music, browser, settings, market, camera, calendar, calculator, email, and clock).

My tablet is running perfectly. The only thing that does not work is soft keys, and the camera app. When I open the camera its all green. Market, google sign in works perfectly. All other gapps can be downloaded from market. Also the soft keys light stays on after I lock the tablet.

Android Version 2.2

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Cool, at least it is starting to be usable. When I get home if someone has not done it yet I'll pull the camera app from the tablet so you can use it.

tekmisia

Mar 17, 2011
Can that image (original coby sdcard) be used to repair my brick? That would give me a ton of peace of mind.

Side note...can't wait to try this myself guys. Good work.

Last edited:

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Can that image (original coby sdcard) be used to repair my brick? That would give me a ton of peace of mind.

Side note...can't wait to try this myself guys. Good work.
Maybe it will we don't really know. However, I would wait on trying other firmware on your " brick ". I may be wrong but at this point my thinking is the other firmware is irreversible.