VTAB1008 Android 3.2.1

dsmmrm

Jan 12, 2012
lol im update frozen bud. im not taking it till root is accomplished. Im rooted not loosing it. my wifes got it though. played with it some. i like some things hate others.

I considered rooting mine before the .57 update made it moot. It seemed that .57 improved a fair bit of functionality. So, lacking an alternate rom like cyanogen I went with the non-rooted .57 over a rooted but slightly more buggy OS. YMMV.

Now, until something better comes along, my only choice for any sort of change is what Vizio pushes out. I want HC just because it's different--kind of like getting a new tablet. Reminds me of when the wife changes her hair color. Sometimes seemingly different is exciting even when it's the same.

Bulldog212

Mar 13, 2012
Well this kinda sorta sucks. Earlier I got a notification that the update was available. I indicated later bcz I wanted to check here first. Now I can't find it anywhere that I can download from. The settings tell me the device is up to date and no updates are available. Grrrrr!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Same here...GF dismissed the update and now we can't get it back. Ugh.

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
I wouldn't get in too big a hurry. This morning it's crashing constantly. I sometimes have to reboot twice just to get copilot to open. I was pretty impressed last night, not so much today. They should've mentioned that we're all now beta testers.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm glad Vizio finally got an update out the door. I'm disappointed it isn't ICS, appears to forgo a standard home launcher in favor of an app drawer only and seems like despite the time they have had to ready the update there may be issues with it. Uhg.

mburwen

Mar 1, 2012
The good news is that performance is better. Bad news is that I lost all my bookmarks and can't figure out how to put them back on a home screen. In normal Honeycomb, there is a plus sign in the upper right corner. Pressing on it lets you add bookmarks, shortcuts, etc. LauncherPro, which I used under 2.3 works, but the app icons are too small for my taste. If anyopne knows how to get bookmarks onto a home screen, I'd appreciate the advice.

I received the following response from Vizio re placing bookmarks on a home screen:

"Unfortunately with honeycomb for our tablets the only thing that an be shown on
the home screen are the apps that have been downloaded to the tablet if you need
to book mark a website that must be done from inside the browser and if you want
to go to those book marks you will need to open the browser then select which
book marked page you would like to go to. If you use a launcher application like
Launcher Pro there may be more option as to what you want to put on the home
screen."

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't know why but they want to make an iPad. I have news for you Vizio, this isn't an iPad and never will be and I for one don't want it to be. Why limit us to have an iPad like layout where we only get static app icons (i.e. an app drawer)? Oh well at least it seems that other home launchers will work.

I like my VTab but honestly the device is much better than Vizio will let it be.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
VIZIO VTAB1008 Gets Android 3.2 says home menu & back buttons no longer work! Replaced and rendered unusable by onscreen buttons - anyone have experience with new Android can confirm / deny???? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

I also find this silly. Yes, Honeycomb and ICS offer soft buttons which are great for tablet devices. But seriously, if you already have hardware buttons, why disable them? The device was designed with these in mind and you even went so far as to make a set for portrait and landscape (a nice move). In the future you can have a thinner bezel and not worry about having buttons. Why not pull a Kindle Fire and disable the volume buttons too so you have to do it through the screen? Yes it is built into Android to have soft buttons now but the physical buttons are already there so it doesn't make sense not to use them.

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
The buttons we had were soft buttons but in set locations with clear spots in the screen border. Apparently they wanted this different button layout that didn't jive with those cutouts.Don't know but this force close and sudden reboot crap is making me crazy (ier). Not sure I would go back just yet even if I could but if it continues to get progressively worse, I may have rendered my vtab useless by "upgrading".

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The buttons we had were soft buttons but in set locations with clear spots in the screen border. Apparently they wanted this different button layout that didn't jive with those cutouts.Don't know but this force close and sudden reboot crap is making me crazy (ier). Not sure I would go back just yet even if I could but if it continues to get progressively worse, I may have rendered my vtab useless by "upgrading".

The hardware buttons are capacitive (touch) buttons but not over the screen. I think the point is still the same there are buttons physically located on the bezel and it isn't an issue to implement these as well. Seems sort of silly to have them there and not make use of them. That was my point about the volume buttons as well, since they still work (as they should).

Obviously try rebooting to see if that helps. If not and it doesn't get better then you may want to factory reset and see if that clears the issues. I really hope this update doesn't make the tablet worse because it really should be a nice improvement to be on HC. Let's hope there are limited cases of bad updates and if there are more that a speedy second update is in the works to correct any issues.

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
Obviously try rebooting to see if that helps. If not and it doesn't get better then you may want to factory reset and see if that clears the issues. I really hope this update doesn't make the tablet worse because it really should be a nice improvement to be on HC. Let's hope there are limited cases of bad updates and if there are more that a speedy second update is in the works to correct any issues.

Factory restore may be in order. I have rebooted several times today and it reboots itself randomly (also several times today). At the moment a decent but somewhat crippled tablet that was still worth the money has become a buggy frustrating piece of crap that works once then requires reboot to use again. Not great when it is my navigation all day out working.

Also,I did not mean to offend. I was just saying they are programmable soft buttons. They apparently couldn't be bothered to implement them when they were already set up on the usable part of the screen. Personally, I would rather have them back and return that space on the screen to us but its not a hill to die on. Whatever memory stack they are not clearing ( or whatever is happening) thats causing force close on my apps if the machine sits in sleep mode for more than a few minutes, THAT is a hill to die on.

Last edited:

octhomasad

Jan 28, 2012
First post. Downloaded honeycomb yesterday and everything is working great. I like a lot of the new features. Is it just me or is everthing a little smaller on the screen? Only one option i can find is small or huge, nothing in between.

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
I am not the only OCD guy continually checking his Vizio Update Service right? I know I am a little off center but I think for this I am normal. :D