3.2 update = Mid September

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Still running with 3.1, but hope to get the upgrade soon. October is right around the bend but no upgrade in sight for the A500 Acer. Anyone here in the US get the upgrade to 3.2 honeycomb for their Acer Iconia A500/A501yet. If so give us some details if you can.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Still running with 3.1, but hope to get the upgrade soon. October is right around the bend but no upgrade in sight for the A500 Acer. Anyone here in the US get the upgrade to 3.2 honeycomb for their Acer Iconia A500/A501yet. If so give us some details if you can.

Click HERE

retief

Sep 22, 2011
From a long discussion this AM I have been informed that it is not Acer that is the hangup. Apparently they deliver the update to Google, and Google decides how, and when, to dish it out. I am in the state of Washington, still waiting as well. Does anyone know if there is any way to directly download and install the OTA update?

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
From a long discussion this AM I have been informed that it is not Acer that is the hangup. Apparently they deliver the update to Google, and Google decides how, and when, to dish it out. I am in the state of Washington, still waiting as well. Does anyone know if there is any way to directly download and install the OTA update?
From a long discussion with who?
According to Icebike in the following from his post, it's a third party update server handling
the update.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...58-my-a500-just-updated-3-2-virginia-usa.html
I was just surfing AlogCat today and noticed that Acer has farmed out updates to FutureDial, and its FutureDial that is running on the machine when you check for updates. (Start AlogCat, clear your log, Check for Updates, and jump back into AlogCat. You will see a big stream of messages from FutureDial).

This is a third party update push service, (its actually pull, it checks once per day for updates unless you ask it to check again). Lots of companies use Google to push updates, but apparently that is getting too expensive or too crowded.

FutrueDial is a hard company to get a good handle on. They have a few android apps, but other than that its pretty nebulous just what the hell they really do.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I updated using the update posted on XDA
from kekinash
It is the US update.
http://vache-android.com/files/Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2.zip
Please don't use any file manager on the tablet to do this job, I only have bad experiences for it. Download it and transfer to the PC, MAC, Linux, and there extract the update.zip from the archive. Copy it to the external_sd and flash using Power+ Vol-.

Trying to extract a so big file using the tablet is calling trouble. I saw a lot of Android Robot+ exclamation triangles because of this.

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
well it is now almost oct and still no 3.2 update .......wondering

Its strange I'm seeing post like this all over the internet when 3.2 should be out to everyone already. My A100 came with 3.2 so now I'm just waiting on ICS 4.0. Maybe you guys should mass message the problem and see if that helps.

Sent from Wicced's ROOTED Acer a100 16GB Honeycomb 3.2

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
Its strange I'm seeing post like this all over the internet when 3.2 should be out to everyone already. My A100 came with 3.2 so now I'm just waiting on ICS 4.0. Maybe you guys should mass message the problem and see if that helps.
There is a link provided above to the us update along with instructions.
download it with your computer, extract the update.zip
put it on a micro SD and install it.
It is probably quicker than downloading directly.
I was hesitant but decided to do it and had no problems.
Then you will say, "It is strange seeing so many posting who do not have the update."
It's here, "just do it!"

retief

Sep 22, 2011
I updated using the update posted on XDA
from kekinash
It is the US update.
http://vache-android.com/files/Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2.zip
Please don't use any file manager on the tablet to do this job, I only have bad experiences for it. Download it and transfer to the PC, MAC, Linux, and there extract the update.zip from the archive. Copy it to the external_sd and flash using Power+ Vol-.

Trying to extract a so big file using the tablet is calling trouble. I saw a lot of Android Robot+ exclamation triangles because of this.

Followed these instructions and all looks good. One thing I noticed is that while I can now see the external_sd via my PC, any folders that had been created on the Tablet do not show up. But if I create folders via the PC they are visible on both. Any ideas as to why this would occur?

Sure beats waiting, now that September is gone.

Thanks!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
One thing I noticed is that while I can now see the external_sd via my PC, any folders that had been created on the Tablet do not show up. But if I create folders via the PC they are visible on both. Any ideas as to why this would occur?

Thanks!

Its due to permissions. (In linux based systems, it always comes down to permissions.)
If you have root you can perhaps just change the permissions to match.

If not:
Copy the contents of those folders you created on the tablet to new folders created on the PC.
Then delete the tablet created folders.
Then create same name folder from the PC and move content back.

Try this on a non-essential folder first.

retief

Sep 22, 2011
Its due to permissions. (In linux based systems, it always comes down to permissions.)
If you have root you can perhaps just change the permissions to match.

If not:
Copy the contents of those folders you created on the tablet to new folders created on the PC.
Then delete the tablet created folders.
Then create same name folder from the PC and move content back.

Try this on a non-essential folder first.

That is what I thought might be the case, but when I look at the Permissions either via ES Explorer or Root Explorer I see:

TestfromPC - this is the folder I created which is viewable on both:
Permissions: ---rwxr-x
Owner: system
Group: sdcard_rw

Media - created by the Tablet
Permissions: ---rwxr-x
Owner: system
Group: sdcard_rw

I was expecting to see a different owner/group at the very least, and different permissions. The other odd thing is that this is apparently only on the external_sd, everything is visible on the sdcard. I am thinking that this may have something to do with the mount point itself, but nothing jumps to mind right off the top.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for this, at least it confirms the places I was looking. The good news is that it is very easy to work around.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
In the past there has been some very funky caching going on with regard to External_sd.
Perhaps a tablet reboot is in order?

retief

Sep 22, 2011
In the past there has been some very funky caching going on with regard to External_sd.
Perhaps a tablet reboot is in order?

Excellent idea! Unfortunately, it made no difference. I think I'll report this one to Acer and see what they have to say. The two "biggies" for me were the ablility to get to the 2nd sdcard at all, but even more important the USB/NTFS support. This one helps me a lot.

Thanks for the help.