How to Restore 7042, 8042, 9742 Dump

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I managed to get ADB (Windows) properly working on my bricked Coby 8042 while booted to CW 6011 recovery by doing the ff:
1 - installed Travellerinfo's windows adb utility for Coby
2 - uninstalling any previously installed android device using the utility USBDeview (instructions here..
Fix USB Connection Problems with your Android Device... | www.topnotchtablets.com)
Strange thing is that Windows (7 pro) afterwards just reinstalled the ADB USB driver properly , not asking for any driver software).
3- Rebooted 8042 to recovery, it was properly detected by ADB.
Sad thing is that the dumps of stock 8042 ROMs still dont work on my coby (stuck at COBY logo). Anybody has a more recent 8042 out there? (Aug 2012 onward). THanks

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do, if your only problem is touch screen reverse the firmware should fix it.

AndyJay

Nov 1, 2012
I managed to get ADB (Windows) properly working on my bricked Coby 8042 while booted to CW 6011 recovery by doing the ff:
1 - installed Travellerinfo's windows adb utility for Coby
2 - uninstalling any previously installed android device using the utility USBDeview (instructions here..
Fix USB Connection Problems with your Android Device... | www.topnotchtablets.com)
Strange thing is that Windows (7 pro) afterwards just reinstalled the ADB USB driver properly , not asking for any driver software).
3- Rebooted 8042 to recovery, it was properly detected by ADB.
Sad thing is that the dumps of stock 8042 ROMs still dont work on my coby (stuck at COBY logo). Anybody has a more recent 8042 out there? (Aug 2012 onward). THanks

I had the same problem you started with, with both costom ROMs booting up fine, but just not having a working touch screen. Luckely (thanks to vampirefo's warnings, YOU THA MAN!) I used adb and made backups of the system and boot. But now I got to learn how to put back my dump files... Did you try the firmware upgrade? Do you want my system dump in the mean time?

(another question... is there a way to close the shell in adb?)

Last edited:

AndyJay

Nov 1, 2012
OK, I managed to get my system back... I feel like I graduated noob-school :p

Here's my system dump:
system.tgz - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

So Now I should copy my firmware folder in the system and replace it in the custom rom I want to install?

edit: I just installed a custom rom with the vendor folder (it's in the modules folder actually, not the firmware) replaced by my backup... works perfect! (The date on the files in the rom say 3/31/2012, mine are from 6/21/2012. Check what yours say...)

Last edited:

mau_331

Oct 27, 2012
OK, I managed to get my system back... I feel like I graduated noob-school :p

Here's my system dump:
system.tgz - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

So Now I should copy my firmware folder in the system and replace it in the custom rom I want to install?

edit: I just installed a custom rom with the vendor folder (it's in the modules folder actually, not the firmware) replaced by my backup... works perfect! (The date on the files in the rom say 3/31/2012, mine are from 6/21/2012. Check what yours say...)

Thanks man, I'll try it out this weekend, I set aside my efforts to restore my firmware back to stock for a while. More in a bit.

Lannig

Mar 26, 2012
Hi again folks,
It's me who posted quite a long time ago about my plans to make an Android recovery bootable from SD card.
I haven't given up the idea, actually I'm getting into it again after learning a lot of things I didn't know then, so I got stuck quickly.
I have a question that is related to this project, I hope that there are very knowledgeable people here who might have the reply to this (especially you, Vampirenfo :))

OK, here's the deal: in ICS-style firmware, how does things work to force a boot into recovery mode when some special button combination is pressed at power-on?
I've pretty much understood how I think it works in GB:
- boot.axf detects the button combination based on info (key_min, key_max) found in script[0].bin
- it goes reading /linux/recovery.ini instead of /linux/linux.ini
- recovery.ini gives the name of the kernel to boot (uImage) and the name of the parameters file (paramsr)
- paramsr contains the name of the NAND partition to mount as root and the proper arguments passed in the kernel command line
- done deal.

In ICS uImage has been replaced by a tertiary bootloader: u-boot.bin, whose job is to load the Linux kernel. The recovery.ini file is gone, only linux.ini remains. So how does boot.axf pass the information "boot in recovery, dude" to u-boot? It's not the "boot-recovery" string in the "misc" partition because this is detected by boot.axf and not u-boot.bin as far as I can tell. Since boot.axf gets alls the information it needs from linux.ini I kind of doubt that it has the ability to pass command-line arguments to u-boot.bin (there's no shell running at this time anyway).

I've Googled for this and found only one post with someone basically asking the same question, without a reply.

jcruckus

Nov 5, 2011
I can now [personally vouch for the update all without livesuite this is the first time I have had CWM actually working on my Coby MID1042 from the day I destroyed the op sys and recovery the first half of the instructs had me in cwm recovery mode so vampirefo you the man LOL

And for what it is worth i am running win 7 x64 and simple cmd box with adb shell works fine as it gives you a linux inviroment to work in
so as soon as I figure out exactly what I am actually doing instead of copying what I read I should be good to go.

this happened to me. Had you tried using the livesuit utility? That was likely the cause... livesuit uses different usb drivers to connect to the device, so it forces windows to recognize your android tablet as one of its own devices...it has a weird name like VID_1f3a, and those drivers dont work with anything but livesuit. you have to open device manager, find the device and uninstall it with the option to also uninstall the associated driver files. after you disconnect and reconnect the device you can point it to the android-adb drivers. I used the drivers from a utility called superoneclickroot, but any adb drivers will work. this is why so many people who also use livesuit or installed livesuite at one point have trouble with adb finding their device.

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
Hi @vampirefo. Can I do the recovery process with the files in the HD instead of an SD card?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
What? I don't understand your question.

Your instructions say:

"place below files on sdcard. the bottom three files are to come from your dump.

install-boot.sh
install-bootloader.sh
install-system.sh

boot.img
bootloader.img
system.tgz

boot into recovery."

I don't have an SD card available to me right now so i was wondering if I could just put the files on the internal storage of the 7042 instead.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
as long as the scripts and cw recovery recognize your internal as sdcard

noobintrouble

Jan 1, 2013
Many people have taken the time to make a dump of their tablets, this is really great, but none seem to know how to restore them. I am going to give you a quick walk through...

Sorry, totally new at this. Messed the tab already and @traveller1701 was already kind enough to help me with getting CWM set up. Just need clarification.

When you say "use cwm navigate to mount options format /data /system /cache" do you mean that I say yes to:
> Format Data
> Format System
> Format Cache ?

then for "
mount /sdcard /cache /system" should i be pressing the power button to:
> Mount sdcard
> Mount cache
> Mount system

so that they then reflect "unmount sdcard" etc.?

Also, how do i get to the ADB shell part and how do i get the command line thing working? Sorry, first time doing this and as it is, I already ruined something in my system that's why im hoping to restore to original settings.

Last edited: