KKMod ROM Utility

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Yup it's gone! Anybody out there have the bootloader zip????? Could maybe send it to me? [email protected]
I sort of got the 2.3.3 version KKMod working,but have no volume and I don't even have it listed in the settings.
I'm having a whale of a time trying to get the Camera working again on a Utopia APad 8 inch with a single speaker and camera.Model shows as imx51_bbg. Everything else works just fine. These 8 inch tablets are the perfect size for my needs ,but man o man what a freaking nightmare of false leads,broken links and missing files when you go to find them. Not to mention the never present,elusive,downright mythical , Factory Firmware

you dont need the bootloader.zip if you are already running on kkmod 2.3.3. If you are on kkmod, you should be already on kkmod bootloader.

I dont have the bootloader.zip anymore since a harddisk crashed wipe out majority of my work.

fornaxfx

Apr 5, 2012
Hi, I was trying to update the tablet with kkmod 2.3.4 rom. It was original 2.2 rom on the tablet.
So, as it is explained on the kkmod upgrade thread, i apply Flash via ADB step. But as soon as i reboot the tablet, it hangs on the screen with the penguin on top-left. Recovery mode (HOME+MENU) is not possible, reset works but it stuck again. The only sign is the connection sound when it is connected to the PC. The sdk tools are installed to the PC, but i have no idea what should i do with them. I could only run adb when the OS is functioning, but as i read adb is not working on USB.

How will i fix it? can anyone help me?

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Hi, I was trying to update the tablet with kkmod 2.3.4 rom. It was original 2.2 rom on the tablet.
So, as it is explained on the kkmod upgrade thread, i apply Flash via ADB step. But as soon as i reboot the tablet, it hangs on the screen with the penguin on top-left. Recovery mode (HOME+MENU) is not possible, reset works but it stuck again. The only sign is the connection sound when it is connected to the PC. The sdk tools are installed to the PC, but i have no idea what should i do with them. I could only run adb when the OS is functioning, but as i read adb is not working on USB.

How will i fix it? can anyone help me?

Are this the only steps that you do?

- Download ROM utility image and unzip to PC
- adb push recovery.img /sdcard/ (refer to here to setup adb)
- adb shell
- busybox dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 (Download busybox here if you do not have it)

This steps will only install the recovery image and should not cause you to hung on the penguin. If you flash to 2.3.4 rom without updating the bootloader, then you are in trouble.

fornaxfx

Apr 5, 2012
Are this the only steps that you do?

- Download ROM utility image and unzip to PC
- adb push recovery.img /sdcard/ (refer to here to setup adb)
- adb shell
- busybox dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 (Download busybox here if you do not have it)

This steps will only install the recovery image and should not cause you to hung on the penguin. If you flash to 2.3.4 rom without updating the bootloader, then you are in trouble.

Yes, as the beginning this was the first step.

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Is your tablet an 8" imx515?

you do this "busybox dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4" and reboot and yet you still cannot get into your android 2.2?

have you done the bootloader.zip update or 2.3.4 update?

fornaxfx

Apr 5, 2012
you do this "busybox dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4" and reboot and yet you still cannot get into your android 2.2?

have you done the bootloader.zip update or 2.3.4 update?

Exactly, i cannot get even 2.2, just waits with penguin.

No i haven't done bootloader.zip or update. But just before the recovery.img process, i have done a factory reset in recovery mode. After the factory reset i have got some problems like auto-disabling wifi scan and others, so i i did fix dir permissions which worked out. And by fixed wifi i tried ADB connection. That's it.

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Exactly, i cannot get even 2.2, just waits with penguin.

No i haven't done bootloader.zip or update. But just before the recovery.img process, i have done a factory reset in recovery mode. After the factory reset i have got some problems like auto-disabling wifi scan and others, so i i did fix dir permissions which worked out. And by fixed wifi i tried ADB connection. That's it.

In that case, I really dont know whats wrong. The steps only update the recovery.img into the recovery partition. This partition is not required to boot up android unless you have a version of imx515 that does not use a normal partition format.

The only thing left is to carefully open up the tablet(be careful not to break the touchscreen cable) and reflash the rom.

WALD

Apr 14, 2012
Who know how back to froyo 2.2 from 2.3.4r3 (work ok but slowly than 2.2). I have files rom 2.2 (system.img ... itd) but cannot find old recovery.img from 2.2 (past it via terminal) and nothing about reflash on forum (what with bootloader 2.3.4r3) ???

moskitta75

Oct 5, 2011
Hi KK, all links in this 3D are missed.
Please, I know it's a very old story but can you regenerate the links?
Instead of using a file hosting service like that, let me suggest to you using dropbox, so the links will never despire until your dropbox folder exists.
I would try your rom another one time, the first time I used the .img file. I came back to the original rom cause of market didn't work but it was the 2.3.3 rom...