Now I did it Help!!!

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
Alright, here is the story. I got the NC yesterday, I rooted it from 1.0.0, installed CWR, then install 1.1 Pre rooted, then kernel-1100mhz-omap3630. I started to have issues so I went back to my back up that I made after installing CWR. I continued to have issues so I got the bright idea to go all the way back to stock and start over. I tried a unroot procedure that I found on YouTube, after doing the 8 restarts rather then the screen for installing the stock stuff, CWR takes over and I am stuck. I tried restoring and uninstalling CWR and doing it again but I do not seem to be able to uninstall CWR all the way.

My question is what do I do now?

Do I re-root it from where it is now?

I have no idea, I am starting to worry that I really messed up.

Help

Karl

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
A lot done wrong there. People need to slow down, stop and smell the roses before going full speed with all the things you can do with the NC. A lot of info out there, not all good and not all applying to every situation.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablets Forum App

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
Thanx, I got it back to zero. Now to carefully get it where I want it to be.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Thanx, I got it back to zero. Now to carefully get it where I want it to be.

I think the most important lesson here is to do one thing at a time and make sure all is working and ok before doing the next step. And make a backup before doing any major changes. Then do another as soon as it works ok.

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
Ok, so I did alot wrong. Please help me to do this right. I am starting with a stock (1.0.0) NC. I would like to make it a full blown Android tablet with the latest stable OS and provide me with the best experience I can. My main uses would be web browsing, e-mail, youtube, game play and all around cool toy. What would you do, in what order would you do it and which processes would you use?

Thanx,
Karl

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok, so I did alot wrong. Please help me to do this right. I am starting with a stock (1.0.0) NC. I would like to make it a full blown Android tablet with the latest stable OS and provide me with the best experience I can. My main uses would be web browsing, e-mail, youtube, game play and all around cool toy. What would you do, in what order would you do it and which processes would you use?

Thanx,
Karl

Ok so you are back to stock 1.0 now? The rooting instructions are here http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

You need to use the correct autonooter to match you firmware. 1.0, 1.0.1 or 1.1. The autonooter for 1.1 is not listed on nookdevs but the instructions are the same. The autonooter for 1.1 can be found on the forums here or xda. An autonooter and a rom are different things.

After rooting install a replacement launcher from market like zeam or adw.launcher. Also install button savior from the forums here.

After you are rooted you can install clockwork recovery to install kernels, roms and make a backup.

If you want to restore a backup you need to wipe data and cache first in clockwork recovery. Then restore through clockwork recovery.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
How do you go about backing up the original firmware? I have the 1.1.

You cannot make a backup unless you are rooted and have clockwork recovery. You cannot back up unrooted original firmware.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
It'll be nice if you tell what wrong has done, so that I will also learn :)

Thanx,
Karl

Well I though you were fine now and before you were rooted, app'ed up and running smooth. Add as your other thread stated, you just had a small google ssl problem.

What you did wrong was this: First you went from too fast 0-100 in one day. Then when you had small issues, instead of working them out on the forum, you just started into a factory restore the wrong way. Without understanding how things work, can get you in trouble. CWR is recovery unitily just like the stock one that come with the NC. WHen you install CWR< it takes over the functions of your stock recovery. So you just can't treat your NC like you are still using the stock recovery. This is where you went wrong. If your backup you made is still not fixing your issue and you need to do a factory reset. You first needed to uninstall CWR, and restore your stock recovery. Then the 2 step factory rest (8 start interrupts/power + "n" image restore) will work. These are command of the stock recovery only, not of CWR. Both CWR and stock recovery are kept on the hidden 3GB partition you have on the NC and controll your boot fucntions. If you mess this area up by either not properly installing and uninstalling CWR, you will have problems.

Ok here is what one would do and can do if they just got a brand new Nook color:
The best thing is to take it step by step and call out a goals you want to accomplish.

Rooted NC
-Rooting
-Installing the b&n updates
-Installing ClockworkMod Recovery, to perform a full backup
-Flash roms, such as NookColor_v1.1.0_r2 ROM
-Flash custom kernels, cpu overclocking
-Flash 2.2 froyo rom to internal storage, (I don't recommend at this time, currently very buggy)

Alternate booting operating system (rooted or non-rooted)
-Flashing Honeycomb image to SD card
-Flashing Froyo image to SD card

There is tons of great info, tutorials and great NC owners here to help you out. Read the "Useful links and Rooting information" thread and decide which direction you want to go: Rooting, play with sd card installed roms, or both

Karl, for your NC at software version 1.0.0 I would do the following:
-First register you NC to b&n
-Download and sideload b&n 1.1 update to the root of your internal storage (not sd card)
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nookcolor/v1.1/Sideload_update.zip

Untitled20-1.png

-Unplug and put your NC to sleep one or two time to start the 1.1 update, should take a few minutes.
-Once you installed 1.1, you can start the rooting process
-Get you autonooter 3.0 (for 1.1 update only) image ready.
-Download autonooter 3.0: auto-nooter-3.0.0.zip
-Get a spare SD for the autonooter image
-Use this tutuoral to install the autonooter image to your sd card
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...olor-software-update-1-0-1-a-2.html#post24111
-You can use winimage Download WinImage or Win32DiskImage

If you use Win32DiskImage.exe: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
-Click the folder button and navigate to select the img file you just unzipped.
-Click on the disk drive letter label on the right, and choose the letter that corresponds to your SD card.
-Press Write. When it finishes, press Exit.
WARNING: This will completely erase your microSD card. Be sure to back it up!

for autonooter:
-Turn off NC.
-Insert your newly created sd card (image)
-Insert the microSD card into the NOOKcolor.
-Plug the USB cable from your NOOKcolor into your computer.
-The NOOKcolor will boot the microSD although the screen will remain off.
-If you're using the Nook cable, the charge LED may blink. That would be ok, it is not important.
-Within a minute, your computer will see a new USB device.
-In Windows Your computer may complain about missing drivers. Simply cancel through them at this time.
-when the process is done, it will auto-boot into the regular boot process. When you see the new boot animation, you're all done.
-Re-insert your normal sd card, one you were using for storage.
-Once rooting is complete, unplug

Now for CWR, and flashing custom kernels, see "Nook Color Technical" section.

reference: NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

Last edited:

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
This maybe a dumb question at this point, but I want to be clear. When you say to side load the B&N 1.1 update, how is this done?

Thanx for your patience,
Karl

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
This maybe a dumb question at this point, but I want to be clear. When you say to side load the B&N 1.1 update, how is this done?

Thanx for your patience,
Karl

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. :)

When someone says "sideload" they mean to move or copy a file or folder onto your NC manually with your usb cable or through wifi, from your pc/mac or whatever to your NC internal storage or sd card.

-Plug up, let your internal storage and/or sd card mount to your pc and then copy the update over to your NC, unplug.

K Spud

Feb 6, 2011
Man I must be dumb. So, I down load the zip, unzip and copy it to the NC. Where on the NC or do I just execute it when the NC is connected?

Sorry,
Karl

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Man I must be dumb. So, I down load the zip, unzip and copy it to the NC. Where on the NC or do I just execute it when the NC is connected?

Sorry,
Karl

Do not unzip.
-copy the zip to root internal storage, unplug and let the NC do all the work.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011

Sorry,
Karl

don't unzip it...just put the zip file into the root folder of your internal memory...when I say root folder I am using computer terms, not 'hacker' terms...If you computer assigns your NC the drive E: then put it in that main folder (also called the root of the folder)