[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042 - Rooted, Google Apps, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

elflema

Nov 2, 2012
Hi, i'm having a few problems whit this rom in my MID8024.

I have started a new thread with the error descriptions but the thread doesn't appear in the forum !!

Can anyone tell me if my thread has to be approved to appear ?
Should I do something else ??

Anyway, I will copy here the same words I used in the created thread:

Hi, i'm from Argentina and trying to update the Coby Kyros MID8042 but had some problems.

1. First thing I did was download files in the first post:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...yros-8042-rooted-google-apps-google-play.html

The LiveSuit I used is the one that says it's for Windows 7 x64 LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar (LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar)
The other one gives problems with USB drivers.

Note: I'm under Windows XP !!

2. Succesfully flashed the rom. When I reboot the tablet the first thing I see was the lockscreen and then an error started to popup all the time. The error says "Se ha detenido la aplicacion com.android.systemui."

Translating it's something like "The app com.android.systemui. has stopped" or something like that.

I find out that this process may be the status bar (I have no status bar right now)

When I press OK, it gives me less than 1 second to use the tablet.
So, I went to the settings of android and changed wallpaper. When the wallpaper was changed the error stopped (the status bar did'n appeared) but the tablet becomes "usable"

3. Becomes "usable" BUT now I'm having wifi problems. When I use the wifi like 2 minutes, it halts ALL THE WIFI IN MY HOUSE, all the devices attached to my router halts the connection and the only way to restore internet in my house is disabling wifi in the tablet.

So, can anyone help me ?

I read in this forum that if I used LiveSuit I can't use CWM because the tablet may brick.

Thanks all of you very much !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Godsgold

Sep 21, 2012
Hi, I followed your instructions and my tablet worked ok for a while. However, i turned my tablet off and back on it refuses to pass the and android logo. Now whenever i reflash it it turn on but if i try to connect to the net it freezes. Can i get some help please

Godsgold

Sep 21, 2012
Hi i'm posting this rom, based on the 8042 firmware dump posted by Shinisuryu , it is rooted, and loaded with google apps and of course google play.

I also fixed the search function which crashed, i had to remove GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk wich was causing problems, this solution should work for the other roms, just install titanum backup and delete it.

Downloads:

Link removed

Flashing instructions(taken from steev):
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the cfw_8042_ics_root_gapps_v01.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users: it has been reported that you must use LiveSuite 1.0.7
LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

Write if you run into problems, i have been testing the rom for a couple of days before posting, so it should be fine.

Hi, I followed your instructions and my tablet worked ok for a while. However, i turned my tablet off and back on it refuses to pass the and android logo. Now whenever i reflash it it turn on but if i try to connect to the net it freezes. Can i get some help please

Last edited by a moderator:

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
I do know that for one thing live suite any version is very unstable and should only be used as a last resort as in many instances it will easily brick a device and once you use livesuite you are pretty much stuck with using it. A program that a very knowledgeable person on here prefers to use a program called ADB

Godsgold

Sep 21, 2012
I do know that for one thing live suite any version is very unstable and should only be used as a last resort as in many instances it will easily brick a device and once you use livesuite you are pretty much stuck with using it. A program that a very knowledgeable person on here prefers to use a program called ADB

So if i get this program i can use the same rom to flash the tablet?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@Virgil2U: I apologize for not being here the last few days. I've been busy moving stuff from one apartment to another, and likely will be continuing to do so for the rest of this week.

The drivers I posted in the sticky come straight from Google's SDK. I tested them myself on my Windows 7 x64 machine and they worked fine. I also tested the XP setup so it worked as well. However, the fact that the tablet is recognized as a phone and ADB is set as "Android ADB interface" means the drivers are correctly installed. Otherwise, it would have said "Android 1.0" for the device itself.

If you're still having issues, let me know here so I can attempt to troubleshoot things further.

@elflema: you used Livesuite. Unfortunately, your only real option is to continue using it if you're having problems. Trying to install the root utility on top of a Livesuite install has rendered tablets unusable, which is why I posted a disclaimer with the root utility mentioning that it's not a good idea to try and use it.

@Godsgold: Using the root utility won't allow you to install this ROM on the tablet. But there are other 8042 ROMs available. However, if you used Livesuite to begin with, read my comments to elflema. In short, if you used Livesuite, I don't recommend using the root utility. However if you do wish to try it, understand that you may brick your tablet, and that you are aware of the risks involved. Also understand that if something goes wrong, you are on your own. I do not support this use of the root utility.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
All the available ROMs are linked in the Development Index and Root Utility sticky at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum. The Livesuite ROMs are no longer linked in that sticky, which isn't terribly important since the 7042, 8042 and 9742 only had one Livesuite ROM apiece.

Last edited:

Godsgold

Sep 21, 2012
All the available ROMs are linked in the Development Index and Root Utility sticky at the top of the Generation 3 Development forum. The Livesuite ROMs are no longer linked in that sticky, which isn't terribly important since the 7042, 8042 and 9742 only had one Livesuite ROM apiece.

Therefore i have no more rom to work with? Is it possible for me to get a geneic rom?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you did a firmware dump, which is highly recommended, you can get back to stock using that. From there you should be able to install ClockworkMod and then install custom ROMs using it. Otherwise, there aren't many options for you since I as well as other members of the forum actively discourage the use of Livesuite.

In terms of simple math, your odds of successfully installing a Livesuite ROM on the Generation 3 Tablets have decreased appreciably from when the ROMs were originally introduced. As of right now, at best you have a 50% chance of a successful install. Not very good odds. The reason the odds are so poor is that the hardware inside the tablet changes as Coby produces more units. Since the hardware changes, the drivers change. The Livesuite ROMs cannot take the hardware changes into account. Thus people using Livesuite to install frequently end up with a tablet that doesn't work correctly, if it works at all.

Godsgold

Sep 21, 2012
If you did a firmware dump, which is highly recommended, you can get back to stock using that. From there you should be able to install ClockworkMod and then install custom ROMs using it. Otherwise, there aren't many options for you since I as well as other members of the forum actively discourage the use of Livesuite.

In terms of simple math, your odds of successfully installing a Livesuite ROM on the Generation 3 Tablets have decreased appreciably from when the ROMs were originally introduced. As of right now, at best you have a 50% chance of a successful install. Not very good odds. The reason the odds are so poor is that the hardware inside the tablet changes as Coby produces more units. Since the hardware changes, the drivers change. The Livesuite ROMs cannot take the hardware changes into account. Thus people using Livesuite to install frequently end up with a tablet that doesn't work correctly, if it works at all.

Thank you very much, however i have one main problem in getting the system dump installed. My tablet's wifi wont turn on therefore i can't install cwm on it. Could i put it in recovery mode without cvm and get the dump on from there. Or is there another alternative?

ninnic

Nov 14, 2012
i installed this rom, work perfettly, ma the rear camera non work. ( in the camera app there is not the buttom to switch from front to rear camera).
i need change to file?
thanks

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
i installed this rom, work perfettly, ma the rear camera non work. ( in the camera app there is not the buttom to switch from front to rear camera).
i need change to file?
thanks
8042 doesn't have a rear camera.

ninnic

Nov 14, 2012
my is akay mid 8042 clone of coby 8042, and have a rear camera. I can to able is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.