[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042 - Rooted, Google Apps, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
@Virgil2U: I apologize for not being here the last few days. I've been busy moving stuff from one apartment to another, and likely will be continuing to do so for the rest of this week.

The drivers I posted in the sticky come straight from Google's SDK. I tested them myself on my Windows 7 x64 machine and they worked fine. I also tested the XP setup so it worked as well. However, the fact that the tablet is recognized as a phone and ADB is set as "Android ADB interface" means the drivers are correctly installed. Otherwise, it would have said "Android 1.0" for the device itself.

If you're still having issues, let me know here so I can attempt to troubleshoot things further.

I think the tablet is being recognized correctly now in device manager as a adb device but as for running the ADB itself I am unsure and afraid to try as I have a mental disability and am not good at the dos commands any more. I have seen people on Craigslist that claim to be able to flash android devices so I might have to try and pay someone to do it for me., I really don't want to go that route but I am afraid that I am just over my head with this for now until I can find a cure for stupid.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The main reason I wrote up the batch file in the root utility was to try and avoid the command line as much as possible. But at the same time it also assumes the end user understands what they are doing. It's batch files, Linux scripts, and Google's tools.

Unlike Livesuite, you CAN peek beneath the hood and see how things work. In fact, I WANT people to. That said, if you aren't sure you're ready to do the work, even with the tools, then the safest thing for you is to not do it. Because it's better to have a working tablet, even if it isn't rooted, then to spend time and money replacing it.

The Google apps, while nice to have, don't define an Android tablet as some people seem to believe. For people who don't want to root but want a wider variety of apps than what GetJar can provide, I recommend creating an Amazon account if you don't already have one, and installing the Amazon Appstore. It has most of the popular apps in it, plus it has the free app of the day. :)

thejron

Dec 5, 2012
Ok, I bought 3 of these tablets. The first one flashed great. Now my other 2 after flashing go have a blank screen after the android boot logo. Playing with volume buttons makes it beep so it seems to be on just no video. HALP! Thanks guys

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
thejron said:
Ok, I bought 3 of these tablets. The first one flashed great. Now my other 2 after flashing go have a blank screen after the android boot logo. Playing with volume buttons makes it beep so it seems to be on just no video. HALP! Thanks guys

Just restore your backup, most likely display drivers are different.

thejron

Dec 5, 2012
Seriously? Nothing I can do? And what will Coby do about it? These are to be an xmas gift

I wonder if I can return them to Walmart without hassle?

Last edited:

CRiMiNaLBeTa

Dec 6, 2012
Dammit man. I got the same damn thing as "thejron". Just a blank screen after the android logo. I tried alot of things to get it unbricked but I cannot get anything to work. At one point though I got a little android dude lying on his back chest open with a red exclamation triangle above him. I am boxing it up now to return to store this weekend. I suppose they can swap it and I will try the ADB method. Or just spend the extra 50 and get a kindle. :-(

I hope my wife still has the receipt.

Last edited:

CRiMiNaLBeTa

Dec 6, 2012
Awesome. I'm stuck with it. No receipt. Can anyone provide me with a stock image that can be done with livesuit. ppppplllleeeasse

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
No, we keep warning people not to use this method as it almost always ends up bricking or disabling tablets, yet people like yourself don't listen and flash it anyway. nothing can be done.

These threads should either be edited to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the thread, or pulled completely. with all the hardware changes coby makes who knows if anyone is benefitting. It sure is hurting a lot.

But you are correct, it seems too many simply don't read the stickys or the full thread.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
These threads should either be edited to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the thread, or pulled completely. with all the hardware changes coby makes who knows if anyone is benefitting. It sure is hurting a lot.

But you are correct, it seems too many simply don't read the stickys or the full thread.

I agree the author's of these livesuite threads haven't been here in month's and only they can remove them, and honestly they should.

The author of this livesuite thread hasn't been here since, (06-21-2012 10:38 PM) yet this thread remains and every week another tablet is destroyed.

Last edited:

CRiMiNaLBeTa

Dec 6, 2012
Well thats what I get. I have had such great success rooting and flashing so many devices that when I saw this thread for this device I was so eager to do the easiest root ever (next to my one click prevail) and I failed to head the warnings. No worries... it holds paper down really well :p

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Well thats what I get. I have had such great success rooting and flashing so many devices that when I saw this thread for this device I was so eager to do the easiest root ever (next to my one click prevail) and I failed to head the warnings. No worries... it holds paper down really well :p

If I could help you I would, I will tell you something to try but most likely the tablet will never be back 100 percent. you can flash a momo8 livesuite image on the tablet and get it working some what, better than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.