[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
Once I set mine with the correct offset (PST) it has been fine. Not sure about the spell check but the few occasions I do use the key board, it seem to predict my keystrokes fine.

On a up note, for me anyway, Google search seems to work now. Not sure why. The only difference is I am at work and do not have internet access. Will see if it still works when I get home and do have access.

Last edited:

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
So my wife just called me...her 7042 has rebooted several times with different apps. I think I'm just going to return it. However, I pulled a NOOB move and didn't backup the original ROM.

What is the easiest way to get it back to its original state? Is there a stock ROM I can download and flash?

Thanks!

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
ok after turning off time zone auto location and setting it to my time it worked, but I did this before it it didn't work even after a fresh rom reinstall, real strange, now network provided timezone even keeps the right time. Seems the google search crash is related to google suggestions, if u turn it off you can search through your device or launch a google search in browser. If you try launching a song for music it crashes music but that might be because my music is stored on my extsd. You can see search say updating at the top right before crashes. On the spelling let me clearify, grammar correction works, but if I try to spell say "Complete". As I'm spelling it doesn't offer up suggestions and common words like "both" or "google" are listed as spelling errors. Maybe google suggestions and spelling suggeations are the same, but I could swear I've used it on my phone in airplane mode. @bruinx97 Yes, steev was nice enough to post a stock rom for the 7042s here it is http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum...ware-for-Coby-Kyros-MID7042&highlight=mid7042
However I don't ever get reboots so maybe you didn't properly flash, used an earlier version of livesuite ( which screws things up on 64 bit windows) or used an earlier rom img that didn't have both to touchscreen drivers. Check near the beginning of this thread for a uber explained set of instructions and to check if you flashed with the right version of livesuite.

Last edited:

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
@Ziggyzag....Thanks for the info.

Now, that I went back and read the whole thread, I noticed that the original post by Steev had a link to LiveSuit, which I believe is a pre-1.0.7 version. This is the version I used to flash (with an xp 32-bit machine). I flashed it with the "cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1" image.

I'm thinking of giving it a reflash with livesuite 1.0.7. If I reflash it, will I lose all of my wife's information (e.g. her calendar appointments, contacts, etc...) that she already entered? If so, is there a way to backup and restore this data after I reflash it?

I'd really like to keep this tablet for my wife, as it was much cheaper than a big brand tablet and she really isn't concerned with screen resolution, brand and such...

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
As for the existing data....I believe someone stated that even if you don't choose Format, the flash will still pretty much do it anyway. Don't chance it. Back up if you can.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
At least we know now the google search problem is related to google suggestions. As for the word prediction I have no idea, I had this problem on my mid7024 as well.

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
Funny, got home, system picked up my WiFi....Search doesn't work. Will try your suggestion Ziggyzag, once I figure out how to turn off google suggestion

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
OK, so I reflashed my wife's 7042 again, but used LiveSuit 1.0.7 (on xp 32-bit).

The only problem I ran into, and this happened with 1.0.1 as well, is that after the image flash finished, the tablet never started. Once it finished, it beeped, an "OK" box popped up from LiveSuit the battery icon flashed a few times and that was it. I waited for 30 mins and it was still off...

Did anyone run into this issue?

I have 2 more days before the return policy kicks in and I can't return it, so I'm going to have my wife use it to see if the reboot problem still happens. I'll let everyone know.

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
Hey ziggyzag,

According to RedDeer's instructions...

"Your Tablet will Restart (Leave USB plugged In. ---- Takes 5 -10 minutes to complete --- DeskTop appears on your Tablet --- (FINISHED !!!)"

I assumed it restarted on it's own...

After flashing it again, I turned it on and within 5 minutes, it locked up...and had to do a hard reboot, by holding down the power button...I'm going to just re-flash the stock ROM and return it. The wife is done with Android...she's begging for an iPad
:mad:

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
@steev
I read your earlier post of yours about how to change the fingerprint of the device. Is there any device you would recommend which may be compatible and also have the latest updated applications. if you've got the time please explain a little bit about fingerprints and app versions, compatibility and such.

djatab12

May 24, 2012
hi, i've had my tab for 4 days now, and i haven't rooted yet, don't think i need to, cause it's for my 5 year old, he have more than enough games from 1 mobile market, question, today while playing his games, the tab 7042 start freezing, just wondering if rooting will stop the freezing while playing games, or is this another issue with 7042

Status
Not open for further replies.