[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea I am sticking with beta 2 for now. IMO Its always good to wait on cm to see what the bugs are first.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Its unfortunate that not all the bugs have been worked out...but all in all, its not too bad...looking forward to the future of the NC sure is fun.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes...the future is so bright I gotta wear shades! LOL

BTW everything is now working for me with the 1.1 kernel...just needed to uninstall and reinstall flash player after I flashed the kernel.

sent from my rooted nook color

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Instructions are different BECAUSE it is being based off the just released CM7 testbed. And CM7 uses a different format (ext4) as described in the thread I posted about [http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-bootable-clockwork-sd-card-0-1-cm7-rom.html]

And because of that change, you have to create a new bootable SD that will make these changes to the new format. This also means that restoring back is NOT possible by just restoring a backup. You will have to use bootable SD to REpartion/format the different partitions back to ext3.

Sounds scary, but anyone that has had to use a bootable SD to recover from something stupid knows it's not too bad. What I have is 2 seperate 4gb SD cards. One has all the bootable CWR stuff we've been using for the past weeks on it, and I can pop that in, flash the fix boot file, flash the restore to 1.0.1 file, then restore my backup. When I want to go back to CM7 i load up the other card I have with the new ext4_CWR bootable files and flash those new zips. Saves me from having to burn a new image every time I want to switch back and forth.

For now, I plan to keep both cards handy just in case, but I imagine it will be real soon before I won't be looking back to anything before CM7.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
How is the functionality of the gingerbready kernel? Is everything working? Known bugs? I'm becoming more and more frustrated with the froyo kernel. I'd love to try gingerbread but the thought of not being able to flash back to my back up of 2.1 (if something went wrong) scares me.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Just seen version 2 released. Gapps and theme changer now included. Im really hoping to hear good things so I can give it a go.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
How is the functionality of the gingerbready kernel? Is everything working? Known bugs? I'm becoming more and more frustrated with the froyo kernel. I'd love to try gingerbread but the thought of not being able to flash back to my back up of 2.1 (if something went wrong) scares me.

You can always go back newell...it just requires a few extra steps is all...if there is a bootable CWR out there, going back is never too far away.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
ahhh, i see. i'm still learning. I'm going to follow the posts probably through tomorrow and see whats happening. Then maybe I'll give it a try. I'm reading some kind of negative things on xda. It seems the market is not working right and youtube doesn't work at all (just what i've read). On the plus side, they are saying that over clocked it is extremely fast!

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Ok so I'm currently installing 2.1. I'm a little disappointed with 2.2. My 2.1 worked flawlessly. I understand it takes time to work out bugs and I will go back once they are. I just couldn't take the video and wifi problems. I'm really following the threads at xda on the 2.3 release and hoping things work out for it. I'm a little confused and am not sure if it is a official Cyanogen release or not. I'll still be in here every half hour or so to read every ones updates... i think i have a problem :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok so I'm currently installing 2.1. I'm a little disappointed with 2.2. My 2.1 worked flawlessly. I understand it takes time to work out bugs and I will go back once they are. I just couldn't take the video and wifi problems. I'm really following the threads at xda on the 2.3 release and hoping things work out for it. I'm a little confused and am not sure if it is a official Cyanogen release or not. I'll still be in here every half hour or so to read every ones updates... i think i have a problem :)

Cyanogedmod 7 is not stable yet. I am running it on my Droid and it is feature packed but has some bugs, but not many. I can't speak for the nook version but it is rc1 (release candidate 1) I believe. Cm usually labels releases as stable when they are.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
CM7 for the Nook IS stable, it just is not feature complete yet. Cyanogen wouldn't make a release public if it wasn't stable. There are just some functions and features not implemented yet. And they won't be until they work. :) Main reason I love the CM team. But at some point something has to be released to allow for the community of users to begin working out the kinks, that's where we are.

Sounds like what you want to do is wait for the Stable release, and not a Release Candidate. Don't let the many definitions confuse you! :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Anyone get swype to work with beta 2? I put in system/apps with root explorer. Doesn't appear in my keyboards.

sent from my rooted nook color

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Although it looks like the author has moved on to 2.3, I hope he continues to work on this 2.2 ROM.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Although it looks like the author has moved on to 2.3, I hope he continues to work on this 2.2 ROM.

I've been following over at XDA and I gotta say that I don't think he will. Since the CM7 base uses a different file format and the core is different, I don't expect him to. I was upset at first thinking that I had found a ROM i liked and it was going to be dropped after a few days, but then I really wanted CM something anyway. Have you asked or seen a response to whether he will continue to support or not?