[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Soo I thought once you formattedand installed cwr out worked on internal from there on. Is this not the case? Do you have to keep cwr on sd? If so I am staying with phiremod froyo.

Actually I am not sure. Faceman would know more about this. I believe that you have to run cwr off of sdcard with the hc4 rom because it removes and doesn't work with internal cwr at the moment. But I am going to have to look into it further.

sent from my rooted nook color

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea I like gtab widget too. I use it with widget locker also! :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to see if I can find it. I am not a big fan of running cwr off sdcard, but sounds interesting.

* I can't find this Rom. Where is the link located?

Soo I thought once you formattedand installed cwr out worked on internal from there on. Is this not the case? Do you have to keep cwr on sd? If so I am staying with phiremod froyo.

Actually I am not sure. Faceman would know more about this. I believe that you have to run cwr off of sdcard with the hc4 rom because it removes and doesn't work with internal cwr at the moment. But I am going to have to look into it further.

This is really a simple issue (as I finally figured it out after reading 10 threads and 100 posts)...

The ext4 structure is required for partitioning reasons as far as I can figure... because of that CWR v3.0.0.5 does not work properly. SO, a different CWR bootable was needed to make installation possible and so we have CWR v3.0.0.6 and away we go. For some reason, the CM7 release that we have comes with ROM manager bundled on board but it is v3.0.0.5, at least that's what it shows.

Funny thing, if you force recovery on boot (holding the "N" button) you will load up CWR v3.0.0.5; thus you can't flash anything since it's old version. If you attempt to power down NC and select 'Reboot' then 'Recovery' you will just reboot, recovery never kicks in. Finally, if you open ROM Manager app and select 'Reboot to recovery' you get into CWR but it is again, CWR v3.0.0.5....

Why they included the old CWR INSIDE the build I don't know. However it's all irrelevant at this point because some nice folks at XDA created a flashable CWR v3.0.0.6 file that you put on the bootable ext4 SD, flash it, and now you have CWR v3.0.0.6 INSIDE the Nook. So now we can just open ROM Manager --> Reboot to Recovery --> flash a new nightly & oc kernel --> Reboot; all without having to swap SD cards in and out.

I know that the CM folks are working and a nightly very soon will fix this CWR issue so we don't have to do the workaround, but at least it's coming.

On a different note, Rico/Stelv you both mentioned reasons for opting other custom builds over CM. From my phone I have only used CM so my nook is a first shot at something else. Can you elaborate on what features/functions/feelings/etc caused your view?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Thank you for the explanation. So it does install the new version of cwr internally then? So we can restore a backup of another rom from our internal version of cwr if we need to?

On a different note, Rico/Stelv you both mentioned reasons for opting other custom builds over CM. From my phone I have only used CM so my nook is a first shot at something else. Can you elaborate on what features/functions/feelings/etc caused your view?

About cm...

I have ran it many times on my Droid based on some feature that cm had that other roms didn't. They are definitely innovators.

The pros:
One of the best developers out there is now working for cm...cvpcs. Cvpcs created the gem series of roms. The best roms I have ever ran on my phone. He is very talented and fixes bugs like nobodies business. Also the new theme changer in cm7 is sweet.

The cons:
Gb is its early stages and not all the bugs are worked out. I have ran multiple gingerbread roms on my phone and battery life is very bad due to an overly aggressive internal task killer, kernel issues and screen brightness problems. Also cm in general has been bad on my battery. There has also been a little bit of lag with cm in the past for me. Now I'll admit cm7 ran smoother on my phone but my battery was cut in third even with the suggested kernel.

But I haven't given it a fair chance on the nook and I very much appreciate them supporting our device. I do prefer roms with more performance over features, but featureless isn't cool either. So as of right now phiremod beta2 runs stable and smooth and I will stick with it for a bit.

Sorry for the really long post here:)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Well I'll keep this nice and short since not exactly the right place to discuss CM phone roms. I've been running custom android from for over 2 years now and have used or tried a bunch of them. Simply put I found CM roms to be too vanilla, lacking a good number of themes, and kernels. Since the do pride themselves on having absolute perfect roms, they take forever to release a build. Since we are talking phone roms, there are many updates to stock builds and kernels which other cookers will quickly implement in their rom, where CM will take the longest time. Sometimes a phone will be outdated before they get around to update a rom per new software and kernel. Again don't get me wrong, I have nothing against CM, and they are probably the biggest, multi-devices rom cookers in the community. But I just prefer other smaller teams and individual cookers, for their willing to be creative and speed of releasing. Besides this is Android; choice, options, and having it your way is what Android is all about.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
About cm...

I have ran it many times on my Droid based on some feature that cm had that other roms didn't. They are definitely innovators.

The pros:
One of the best developers out there is now working for cm...cvpcs. Cvpcs created the gem series of roms. The best roms I have ever ran on my phone. He is very talented and fixes bugs like nobodies business. Also the new theme changer in cm7 is sweet.

The cons:
Gb is its early stages and not all the bugs are worked out. I have ran multiple gingerbread roms on my phone and battery life is very bad due to an overly aggressive internal task killer, kernel issues and screen brightness problems. Also cm in general has been bad on my battery. There has also been a little bit of lag with cm in the past for me. Now I'll admit cm7 ran smoother on my phone but my battery was cut in third even with the suggested kernel.

But I haven't given it a fair chance on the nook and I very much appreciate them supporting our device. I do prefer roms with more performance over features, but featureless isn't cool either. So as of right now phiremod beta2 runs stable and smooth and I will stick with it for a bit.

Sorry for the really long post here:)

Well I'll keep this nice and short since not exactly the right place to discuss CM phone roms. I've been running custom android from for over 2 years now and have used or tried a bunch of them. Simply put I found CM roms to be too vanilla, lacking a good number of themes, and kernels. Since the do pride themselves on having absolute perfect roms, they take forever to release a build. Since we are talking phone roms, there are many updates to stock builds and kernels which other cookers will quickly implement in their rom, where CM will take the longest time. Sometimes a phone will be outdated before they get around to update a rom per new software and kernel. Again don't get me wrong, I have nothing against CM, and they are probably the biggest, multi-devices rom cookers in the community. But I just prefer other smaller teams and individual cookers, for their willing to be creative and speed of releasing. Besides this is Android; choice, options, and having it your way is what Android is all about.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I will /close that part of the discussion.

Thank you for the explanation. So it does install the new version of cwr internally then? So we can restore a backup of another rom from our internal version of cwr if we need to?
Almost. I haven't tested that yet and I don't think it will work. We can create and restore ext4_ROM backups from within CWRv3.0.0.6; but I don't know if I can restore my Froyo nand from that CWR. I haven't tested and haven't been inclined to hose things up maybe yet.

I know that thecubed is working on a ext2-3/4 combo bootable CWR Sd, so I think the possibility is just around the corner.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
more observations:
-market app updating works well
-contact syncs works, its good have my contacts back :)
-normal 2.2 sleep modes work, glad to get off 2 mins.

working on getting hulu app to work, no luck so far.

edit: also Droid folks should have no problem tethering anymore; evos work well as before.

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. I will /close that part of the discussion.

Almost. I haven't tested that yet and I don't think it will work. We can create and restore ext4_ROM backups from within CWRv3.0.0.6; but I don't know if I can restore my Froyo nand from that CWR. I haven't tested and haven't been inclined to hose things up maybe yet.

I know that thecubed is working on a ext2-3/4 combo bootable CWR Sd, so I think the possibility is just around the corner.

more observations:
-market app updating works well
-contact syncs works, its good have my contacts back :)
-normal 2.2 sleep modes work, glad to get off 2 mins.

working on getting hulu app to work, no luck so far.

edit: also Droid folks should have no problem tethering anymore; evos work well as before.

Thank you both for the info. Good info for people trying out ext4 recovery.

I am glad tether works now! Gonna try it later. Hulu would be nice.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Importing contacts with vCard off SD card works great, added 100+ contacts from my windows outlook.
-Export vCard file (*.vcf)
-Sideload (copy) .vcf file to root of your SD card
-Press your settings button
-Press import/export
-Press import contacts
Your NC will search for .vcf file on you SD card and import your contacts.
Now if all your contacts are on gmail then these instructions don't apply, since google sync will automatically sync over all your gmail contacts.

snap20110222_224241.png

snap20110222_224309.png

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I've gone back to Eclair...too many bugs in phiremod beta2, especially around playing video. :(

It was good practice with CWR restore, though....first time I've done that. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I've gone back to Eclair...too many bugs in phiremod beta2, especially around playing video. :(

Good to note, I was thinking about going back to Beta2 (see sig). I wasn't sure if there had been any changes to address the bugs since everything sort of took a detour with ext4. Sounds like not. I will stay happily at 2.1 for now :)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Yea the video playback is a bit buggy, definitely the weak area of this ROM. Too bad the author did continue development but this won't be the last 2.2 ROM so I wouldn't worry.

CWR is great, love having that security.
...and freedom.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Have we figured out a fix for the lockup during sleep issue with this ROM?

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@rico2001 I was trying to get to this same flash video so I can compare with my sd version of 2.2. It kept switching me to the mobile site. Any clues what I am doing wrong?

Edit: Found this over at xda - might this work

To make it easier, all you need to do is download Adobe Flash Player 10.1.106.16 from market and replace the /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so which is AND 10,1,106,16 hex edited to look like WIN 10,1,102,64 for HULU.

1) Extract libflashplayer.so to sdcard (from libflashplayer.so.fix.10.1.106.16.zip)
2) Copy libflashplayer.so from sdcard to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib using root explorer and make sure the permissions for libflashplayer.so is rwxr-xr-x or chmod 755 the file.

Last edited: