[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Although it looks like the author has moved on to 2.3, I hope he continues to work on this 2.2 ROM.

I agree. Nothing against CM but I don't particularly usually use custom roms that are cm based. CM does have a lot of features/benefits, but I usually like more performanced based roms.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I've been following over at XDA and I gotta say that I don't think he will. Since the CM7 base uses a different file format and the core is different, I don't expect him to. I was upset at first thinking that I had found a ROM i liked and it was going to be dropped after a few days, but then I really wanted CM something anyway. Have you asked or seen a response to whether he will continue to support or not?

I don't think he will as well, but I am hoping he would have at least put out a full release, not beta. It doesn't look likely he will since, he changed his thread and page, moving to this 2.3 CM7 base. I was also a little disappointed but these things happen and there will be others working on 2.2 ROMS. I'm not a big Cyanogen fan myself, but support there efforts towards the Nook Color since they are well known and will excite others to take interest in cooking roms for the community. No I have not asked or even looked for any news on the issue. Was away from here a bit and just now getting up to speed on things again.

I agree. Nothing against CM but I don't particularly usually use custom roms that are cm based. CM does have a lot of features/benefits, but I usually like more performanced based roms.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Correct. There htc hero and evo stuff, I didn't care much for and lacked many key features I could not live without.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Will CM only release in ext4 or is that just their working file format? I am not sure if there are enough advantages or if they are using it just to use something different. If it is just to be different that is quite annoying even though it may not be too difficult to swicth out bootables it just seems silly to break from the community at this point and have people go through the hassel just to try out CM's stuff.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
^ +1, I think I am going to sit back and see what other Roms come out. I really like the non-cm based phiremod beta 2 and can stay with that for a bit till we see others.

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
^ +1, I think I am going to sit back and see what other Roms come out. I really like the non-cm based phiremod beta 2 and can stay with that for a bit till we see others.

Stelv did you see the hc based rom out today for ext4 format it includes gapps. I am thinking this will be my next rom.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Stelv did you see the hc based rom out today for ext4 format it includes gapps. I am thinking this will be my next rom.

I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to see if I can find it. I am not a big fan of running cwr off sdcard, but sounds interesting.

* I can't find this Rom. Where is the link located?

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011

Thank you for the link. I have read the xda post and will stay away from this one for now. It looks very experimental and the developer has noted that many apps do not work. I do not like the idea of booting ext4 sdcard CWR. Rom's should be able to be installed through clockwork internally without breaking or removing recovery.

I especially do not like this part from the xda post: "The internal CWR workaround is ugly to say the least. So if you NC should refuse to boot or bootloops, which I hope won't, flash this boot repair that I'm adding just in case. Just flash it, no need for formatting.. Use a bootable CWR SD Card."

I may try the ext4 sdcard recovery someday, but that is only if other Roms do not come out shortly that can be flashed with internal recovery. I like having CWR on my device. If anyone tries this HCv4 please let us know the ins and outs of it.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Same for me, since I'm having way too much fun with this 2.2 rom. Reminds me of old time (well current times with my current phone). :)
Like I said, sad to see the author of this rom move onto 2.3. Hopefully if not him, someone else will take the source code and continue development.

btw, flash work on mine, not great but ok. And I'm still looking for a "perfect" screen cap app. My favorite one, doesn't like Zeam too much so have to leave it behind. Tried a few others mention, and while ok, not quite how I want them to be.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Flash is working good now on beta2 on mine. Watched an episode of Conan on teamcoco.com the other day. Worked well. Yea I hope someone continues to develop for 2.2, or at least waits until GB has all the bugs worked out and can be flashed through normal recovery.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Thanks again Face. Followed these instructions to the letter. Phine Phiremod Beta 2 on my NC, with a backup of my 2.1 on my PC, another sd, and my NAS. Its delightful! OC'd 1.1 all my apps+data reinstalled w/ TiBU. Just awesome. I Love This Freaking Thing. And this forum 'natch! Thanks again for all the hard work, everybody.
tumblr_ldy3v00TLJ1qfhbkko1_500.jpg

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
Thank you for the link. I have read the xda post and will stay away from this one for now. It looks very experimental and the developer has noted that many apps do not work. I do not like the idea of booting ext4 sdcard CWR. Rom's should be able to be installed through clockwork internally without breaking or removing recovery.

I especially do not like this part from the xda post: "The internal CWR workaround is ugly to say the least. So if you NC should refuse to boot or bootloops, which I hope won't, flash this boot repair that I'm adding just in case. Just flash it, no need for formatting.. Use a bootable CWR SD Card."

I may try the ext4 sdcard recovery someday, but that is only if other Roms do not come out shortly that can be flashed with internal recovery. I like having CWR on my device. If anyone tries this HCv4 please let us know the ins and outs of it.

Soo I thought once you formattedand installed cwr out worked on internal from there on. Is this not the case? Do you have to keep cwr on sd? If so I am staying with phiremod froyo.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I think what he is saying is that the only way to recover if you bork something with the ext4 format of your NC is with a bootable CWR recovery. Is that right?

Slightly off topic has anyone else noticed the amazing app launcher built in to the gTab simi clock widget? If not go check it out. It is amazing. 5 button launcher on each side and one for weather. almost makes ADW a distant memory! Almost. Using it with Widget Locker is about the freshest lock screen ever.