Root Coby 8065 via ADB

arwoot

Nov 11, 2013
Could you post a link on how to dual boot the 8065? Anyone have any success in upgrading the OS on the 8065 after rooting?

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
So, Finals are over and im back to help you guys again :D so any new progress? Is there a root via recovery yet?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
Great news! I'll be available if there is testing needed. Just message me or something.

arwoot

Nov 11, 2013
Anyone have success with a new custom rom on the 8065? I'm sure there are a ton of 8 inch generic tablets with the same CPU/button/DPI resolution configuration that might work on this. I don't know about others, but the stock OS is sluggish and the input between the finger and activating touch on the screen is horrible compared to an ipad... lots of lag. I know though.. what can you expect for a sub $100 android tablet. I haven't figured out how to dual boot to hedge my risk of bricking the device.. that's why I'm hoping someone finds a decent custom rom that works on this. I'm thinking the Dell Venue 8 tablet might be pretty similar. Please post a link to a rom that has worked for you so we can all test.

Thanks!!
[h=1][/h]

mayanne0101

Jan 1, 2014
hey everyone.. newbie here.. I need help really bad.. my coby 8065 froze yesterday so I restarted it. When I did it reverted back to its factory settings but tha bad part is everytime I restart or shut down.. it automatically reverts to factory default.. Went online to search for answer and found out that I have to copy busybox to another folder in system.. my problem is my coby kyros is not rooted and I need root access to be able to copy files in the system... so I saw this thread and I did everything that was in the instructions of(vampirefo.. Thank you!!) got up to the last part where i installed Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip.. and then says its finished and to reboot now.. so my system reboots. i am again in factory mode... Tried using root explorer and its saying I still cant copy because im not yet rooted.. so my question is.. do I lose root access as soon as I rebooted? and is there a way for me to change that.. Any help would be appreciated... I am at wits end:mad:.. Thanks a lot!!!:p

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Your symptoms are similar to my symptoms when using the wrong recovery. The data partition is corrupted or marked by the system as such.

Try placing stock 8065 boot.img on your external sdcard. Rename to uImage_recovery

Reboot using vol+ and power. The system should boot normally. This will test your boot.img and kernel for corruption.

If this does not help, You might try using fake recovery to format the data partition.

mayanne0101

Jan 1, 2014
Your symptoms are similar to my symptoms when using the wrong recovery. The data partition is corrupted or marked by the system as such.

Try placing stock 8065 boot.img on your external sdcard. Rename to uImage_recovery

Reboot using vol+ and power. The system should boot normally. This will test your boot.img and kernel for corruption.

If this does not help, You might try using fake recovery to format the data partition.[/QUOT

hey there. thanks for the response.. I already did this.. this is the first step to the rooting process right? maybe im doing something wrong.. My coby doesnt go to recovery while the external sd card is inside it.. I have to put it to recovery mode first and then insert the card.. then I do the rooting process but after rebooting it reverts to factory settings.... would you be able to give me a step by step instrucrions on how to format the data partition? Thanks!:)

mayanne0101

Jan 1, 2014
Can I have a copy of the stock 8065 boot please.. Im still unable to fix my coby.. and how do I format the data partition.. thanks..

mayanne0101

Jan 1, 2014
one more question please.. where is my adb directory.. I agve up trying to root using the ext card because It would say root sucessful but when i reboot it goes back to factory.. so now im going to try the adb mode.. i have everything ready i just cant figure this instruction out. anyhelp is welcome please.. thanks a lot..

"extract
AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root.zip to your adb directory" where is my adb directory?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Can I have a copy of the stock 8065 boot please.. Im still unable to fix my coby.. and how do I format the data partition.. thanks..

Lets start again. You do not lose root access when you reboot. If you were able to boot to ext-sd, and apply Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip, You should be rooted.

Loading the
Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip is done thru fake recovery. this is a temporary CWM recovery. Use this recovery to format your data partition.

Your ADB directory is the directory where the ADB command is located.

You problem is really not about rooting. You may want to start your own thread describing your problem to get more ideas.

mayanne0101

Jan 1, 2014
its like this.. I am able to finish all the steps. for the last step after rooting.. I get the command to reboot.. something like : root finished reboot now.. So i do.. the problem is once ive powered on the tablet and check the root explorer to be able to copy the busybox to system/bin. Im getting the error from root explorer that I cant copy the file since Im not rooted. So Im thinking. Im rooting my phone doing the steps that you have taught me but Everytime I reboot it all goes back to factory settings and even the root process is deleted.. Is there something im doing wrong?

I place all the file from root 8065 to my sd card..

I hold voulume- and power.. volume + and power doesnt do anything.. i navigate to recovery... install the zip file fake recovery... use recovery to install root amlogic... The tablet tells me its done rooting and to reboot.. I press the power and it doesnt reboot.. it just stays dead.. so I press the power button for about 10 sec... when it opens the table is like brand new again.. im seeing the screen where the tablet teaches me how to drag icons and stuff like that.. If I go to root explorer. I dont have root access... ive done this about 3 times now and still wheneve Ive booted up.. its all in factory default.. no root access.. Rooting the tablet is important because moving the busybox to system bin would solve all my other problems.. I hope... :( again.. thanks to tpaine..

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012

I hold voulume- and power.. volume + and power doesnt do anything.. i navigate to recovery... install the zip file fake recovery... use recovery to install root amlogic... The tablet tells me its done rooting and to reboot.. I press the power and it doesnt reboot.. it just stays dead.. so I press the power button for about 10 sec... when it opens the table is like brand new again.. im seeing the screen where the tablet teaches me how to drag icons and stuff like that.. If I go to root explorer. I dont have root access... ive done this about 3 times now and still wheneve Ive booted up.. its all in factory default.. no root access.. Rooting the tablet is important because moving the busybox to system bin would solve all my other problems.. I hope... :( again.. thanks to tpaine..

The symptom that the tablet won't boot after it says complete is wrong. Try again but let it reboot without pressing power. See if it reboots on the recovery timer.

The Root_Amlogic zip file also installs a new busybox.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
its like this.. I am able to finish all the steps. for the last step after rooting.. I get the command to reboot.. something like : root finished reboot now.. So i do.. the problem is once ive powered on the tablet and check the root explorer to be able to copy the busybox to system/bin. Im getting the error from root explorer that I cant copy the file since Im not rooted. So Im thinking. Im rooting my phone doing the steps that you have taught me but Everytime I reboot it all goes back to factory settings and even the root process is deleted.. Is there something im doing wrong?

To much is missing from this story, a stock 8065 can't install my fake recovery, you need to start from the top and include the missing details.

Sent from my Coby 7036 Android Tablet