[CFW] GingerLF - Custom GingerBread Android 2.3 for MID1024

sunyata

Sep 20, 2011
@Pickupman66
1. It goes green when there is data traffic, goes white otherwise (stock Laucher, always blue in HC).
2. Yes, battery autonomy is a lot better, tablet can be used for long times, it's a great improvement over Froyo.
3. I have about 80 extra apps installed now and boot time is less than 2min. It was less than 50min after installation.
4. The 2.3.6 built-in version should not prevent you to install any apps, but may not show some. If you go to 3.x, changing LCD resolution to 160 may be necessary to install some apps.
5. What Titanium version? Free or donate version? Did you try using latest version? Did it help?
6. No I get what you mean: the app drawer is very picky, you must tap exactly on the app icon or it will launch the app above... I think it a problem with Launcher, resolution independent.
7. HC icons look terrific in 200dpi, that's why I changed. Also, some apps like latest Docs version crashes in 160dpi. Anyway, you can change easily using LCD resolution app.
8. I was able to disable the B button (see Tips in OP). You may want to use steev's script but it requires an re-boot, and that's why I don't use it. My biggest grieve is with B button anyway.

@sunyata
You should be able to download them using Market. If you have updated Market to 3.x than you may need to clear Market data and then reduce LCD density to 160 (re-boot required), then use Market again. After that, I was able to go back to 200dpi and Market didn't complain about compatibility.

@fmnelson
See tip above about Market and 160dpi. It's easy if you use LCD resolution available for free in Market.

-----------------------------------------------
ifom and fmnelson:

Thanks for your quick replies.
I am using the Coby 1125 which came with GB 2.3.3. I have previously installed Netflix and Skype, both of which have a small problem in each, and I was hoping that yours may be different.

Netflix: The app I installed repeatedly asked to update every time I log in, which is actually a small nuisance.

Skype v11 mod by theos0o at xda.developers, which got rousing applause from happy users of many brands of tablets, but on the Coby 1125 (as well as 7022) the outward video shows patches of strange colors, unless I config it to send out black and white video, which actually appears quite sharp, considering Coby's 0.3mp camera low quality. So, today I downloaded the skype from Market, but found that it can receive video from caller but cannot send out video. Looks like using theos0o skype hack (despite the B/W video) is not too bad after all.

I am quite new in this stuff and don't even know what Market version I have; installed from daprospecta youtube link. So, I am curious what results you might have got in using the Skype 2-way video from Market on your recent Coby 1024 custom Gingerbread 2.3

The Coby 1125 that I have has a dead Home button. So, I am wondering whether to send it to Amazon to exchange for a replacement, or to just return it for refund, and buy the 1024 instead since you have now successfully produced a custom Gingerbread 2.3 firmware, of course depending on feedback from users of your custom 2.3 on what results they got from skype 2-way video.

I would love to hear from users of your custom GB 2.3 on the Netflix and Skype issues. Thank you.

fmnelson

Oct 10, 2011
The 1125 has a different mother board than the 1024, so at present, if you wish to use these custom roms then the 1024 is best. Flashing your 1125 will most likely brick the device.

However, my 1024 runs netflix and skype (with two way video) with no issue on this rom. Also, im running hulu plus frim an apk i downloaded.

Dead button is a definite deal breaker.

Good luck

Sent from my MID1024 using Android Tablet Forum

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
How did you get joydev.ko to load?

I get an 'invalid module format' error.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
@sunyata 1125 has a completely different ROM, it's based on a Telechips CPU. Do NOT install any ROM for x024 on it or it will probably brick. Hopefully a new section in the forum will be created for this devices as well, so people can exchange info/ROMs made specially for it. Basically, 7022 stuff should also apply to MIDx125 tablets, minus ROMS, since 7022 and 1125 use capacitive touchscreens.

@steev actually I think it's not needed, I added it to utmodules for testing puporses and it was included in the release version.

korbank

Oct 22, 2011
Thank you !
This is a wery good rom.
I testing it bluetooth is work great, tomorrow I want test gps bluetouth an same 3G and 4G modem.
I have one question how to disable B button ? (I tried to search about this
8. I was able to disable the B button (see Tips in OP). You may want to use steev's script but it requires an re-boot, and that's why I don't use it. My biggest grieve is with B button anyway. but nothing )
Please help.

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Korbank. Not really sure of your question but if you want to disable the key lfom can tall you how in the settings. I downloaded python from the market and then the disable browser apk steev made to disable it. You run python and let it install then run the disable apk then reboot your device.

Gimme a few and ill post those up to download. I know I made another thread about it here somewheres.

Also, is it me or are there more of these in use outside the us than inside?

Sent from my rooted, baked, Gingerbread rocking Kyros MID1024

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Thank you !
This is a wery good rom.
I testing it bluetooth is work great, tomorrow I want test gps bluetouth an same 3G and 4G modem.
I have one question how to disable B button ? (I tried to search about this
8. I was able to disable the B button (see Tips in OP). You may want to use steev's script but it requires an re-boot, and that's why I don't use it. My biggest grieve is with B button anyway. but nothing )

Thanks! From tips in the opening post:
4. You can use the Voice I/O to open many hidden settings page, like APN and Quick Launch (disabe B here by long pressing it!).

This means:
1. Go to Settings
2. Click on "Voice input & output"
3. Scroll down and click on Quick Launch
4. Long press on B to disable shortcut

This will disable the B key in most apps. In some, however, it works like pressing the b key in the keyboard. The good part is that you still can use external keyboard, USB or Bluetooth.

You can also use the script mentioned by Pickupman66, it requires python for Android and was made by steev from this very forum.

PS: I was able to use an Apple Wireless Keyboard with V1.1 installing Blue Keyboard JP from Market. ;)

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
@steev actually I think it's not needed, I added it to utmodules for testing puporses and it was included in the release version.

Ah, I only tested my ps3 controller. I guess it's not compatible.

ENCXBG1

Sep 12, 2011
ENCXBG1

no, you dont need ROOT to install the ROM. it will install root automatically.

In that case I'm having a problem. I Unzipped and loaded all files to a freshly Formatted SD card. I inserted the SD card with the power off. I then hold home/power buttons and the 1024 says it's entering update mode. It then says "Can not find an update image". Where am I going wrong? Sorry, I'm used to using a bootloader on other devices.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Ah, I only tested my ps3 controller. I guess it's not compatible.

To PS3 uses Bluetooth, right? Turn on and enable BT, then install sixaxis from Market, I got a report that it worked.

The built-in support to gamepads uses USB and is compatible with games that use input method, like some emulators.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
In that case I'm having a problem. I Unzipped and loaded all files to a freshly Formatted SD card. I inserted the SD card with the power off. I then hold home/power buttons and the 1024 says it's entering update mode. It then says "Can not find an update image". Where am I going wrong? Sorry, I'm used to using a bootloader on other devices.

Are you sure you copied all files to the root folder of your external microSD card? It's the same procedure used to restore the official firmware. If you need a more visual guide, you may wanna take a look at this PDF:
http://www.cobyusa.com/files/software/MID1024-Firmware-Update-Instructions.pdf

ENCXBG1

Sep 12, 2011
Are you sure you copied all files to the root folder of your external microSD card? It's the same procedure used to restore the official firmware. If you need a more visual guide, you may wanna take a look at this PDF:
http://www.cobyusa.com/files/software/MID1024-Firmware-Update-Instructions.pdf

It's the same procedure I'm using. By "the root folder", you are referring to the card directly? Not inside any specially labelled folder, correct? I'm mounting all files directly to my freshly formatted SD card. I've also verified that I have the 1024N board through Terminal Emulator. To be fair I haven't been able to flash any ROMs using this method.

Edit: Just tried a different SD card and it worked no problem. I was using a 16GB Class 4 card and was having no luck but just tried with 1GB card with no issues. Very weird!

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hmmm, weird indeed. The install script only checks for dual SD (to make sure one doesn't try to install from the internal SD) and logs the external SD size to log.txt. BTW you could check the log file in the first SD you've use to see what was going wrong (if it passed the initial NAND update with blue text - the log file is written only after that).

ENCXBG1

Sep 12, 2011
Hmmm, weird indeed. The install script only checks for dual SD (to make sure one doesn't try to install from the internal SD) and logs the external SD size to log.txt. BTW you could check the log file in the first SD you've use to see what was going wrong (if it passed the initial NAND update with blue text - the log file is written only after that).

It never created a log file file on the original SD. It just said it couldn't find the boot image and gave me two options Volume Up/Back to Continue and Volume Up/Back to Cancel. Volume Up said initiating SD Card however it just did a clean wipe back to stock. I examined the SD contents several times against the files I unzipped and they matched with no addition of a log.txt file. Sorry!

In other news the ROM is great! I already had everything working with the Stock software but this ROM brings much needed speed and snap to the Tablet! Very cool! I love the screen/app page transitions! Bluetooth works great!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
The only thing I can think of now then is that the 16GB card isn't formatted in FAT32 mode... Anyway, I'm glad that you likes your new tablet. ;)