MID1024 Official and Custom Roms thread. add your custom roms

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Ended up going back to stock firmware. while your build was stable and looked good, the market kept updating to the latest version and it would lock me out of getting apps. I could not prevent it from updating so I just flashed back to the standard firmware, edited the .rc file that had teh screen density and then installed the 2.3.6 market and google services. I didnt install the market updater for it. it worked great like that last night letting me install every app I wanted from my account.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
If you have version 3.1.x (maybe 3.x too), Market will auto-update to the latest version. The only way to prevent this is using v2.3.6 (latest 2.x version AFAIK). But even with 3.1.x I was able to see and download most apps using the trick to clear Market data in Settings, change LCD density to 160, reboot and open Market again. After that I changed LCD density to another values without problems, even after reboots (I am using OFW tho).

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Strange. I wasnt able to download much of anything that I use normally. even the forum apps. I did the exact steps you outline here. oh well. I just did 2.3.6 and made sure the marketupdate apk was not installed.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Good news: I was able to install successfully a Gingerbread ROM on a MID1024.
Bad news: touch screen doesn't work because goodix_touch.ko won't load, Froyo version won't work.

If anyone knows a working goodix driver for Gingerbread please chime in.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Here is my cooked CFW for MID1024 (Froyo 2.2), based on the official firmware by Coby with some modifications and add-ons.

This ROM was tested in my multitouch MID1024-4G, but you are solely responsible for its use. If it bricks your tablet, it's not my fault.

Changes from OFW:
- pre-rooted (steev's patch for Froyo)
- adb in root mode also (default.prop mod)
- battery indicator with percentage (UOT Kitchen mod)
- internal device storage increased to ~1,39GB (utscript.sh patch by steev)
- default LCD density set to 172
- build.prop with some optimizations and faked ID (GT-P1010, optimizations by flxrms)
- bloatware removed
- Added stock supporting apps for Bluetooth and 3G dongles (not tested)
- Added stock support to TTS , Accessibility (not tested) and Sound Recorder
- Location service works with WiFi, possibly with USB/Bluetooth GPS (not tested)
- Google Market 2.3.6, Contacts and Calendar Sync, Talk, Voice Search and News&Weather widget
- Additional apps: Aldiko 2.0.1, Multitouch Test, LCD Resolution, ES File Explorer 1.6.5 and ES Task Manager 1.2

Installation
Do as usual: unzip the files and copy them to the root folder of a microSD card, insert it on your tablet and turn it on holding the home button (silver one). Don't hold the power button for too long, let it go as soon as you see the message about the update. I suggest that your tablet have full battery and that you full format the microSD card in FAT32 mode to make sure it's 100% fine before you start.

Important: the first time the tablet boots you will see a screen with 2 options, you can choose any as long as you do NOT mark "Set as default".

Download: CFW-MID1024-2.2 - Minus.com

Why Market 2.3.6? Because it should allow you to download anyting without messing with LCD resolution, fingerprint, etc. Even then I tried to change the fingerprint to fake a Galaxy Tab WiFi. If you want the latest market, download and install it, but you will probably need to change LCD resolution to 160 in order to access most apps (clear its data if you have used it before).

Increase of internal storage should be safe for any size of internal microSD, but it was tested so far only for 4GB (sdcard partition is about 2GB).

Credits go to:
steev - most patches in the installation
flxrms - optimizations and other info
UOT Kitchen - battery mod

Enjoy. ;)

Last edited:

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Lfom. I'm thinking about going to your ROM tonight. How is the wifi performance. I have been fighting mine today with it not staying connected. What rooted apps do u run on yours?

Pecked out from my rooted Kyros MID1024

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Lfom. I'm thinking about going to your ROM tonight. How is the wifi performance. I have been fighting mine today with it not staying connected. What rooted apps do u run on yours?

Same WiFi as the official Coby firmware for 1024. Personally I don't think it will help much. Instead, maybe you should try one of those hack to improve your WiFi signal using homemade antennae.

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Its just not staying connected very well. The wifi was 5 feet from it and it would bounce from obtaining to disconnedted even after reboots on both devices. But I think I found it was the autokiller memory app I was using. Uninstalled that and it seems much better. Have u seen an increase in speed with your rom? Also the memory increase is that for the area for app storage? Mine says internal memory if 125 MB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Its just not staying connected very well. The wifi was 5 feet from it and it would bounce from obtaining to disconnedted even after reboots on both devices. But I think I found it was the autokiller memory app I was using. Uninstalled that and it seems much better. Have u seen an increase in speed with your rom? Also the memory increase is that for the area for app storage? Mine says internal memory if 125 MB.

A bit faster than OFW, but it's minimal if really exists. The OFW also supposedly add a fix to WiFi, but I found out that I still must keep WiFi on all the time to avoid freeze/shutdown while sleeping.

Internal memory increase is great, it was one the main reasons I created this CFW.

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Lfom, I installed your ROM. worked like a charm. did you do any of the spelling in the memory section? reason why is that I notied where you mojnt and dismount the external card. External is mispelled. also did you not add python to disable the browser and search buttons?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Lfom, I installed your ROM. worked like a charm. did you do any of the spelling in the memory section? reason why is that I notied where you mojnt and dismount the external card. External is mispelled. also did you not add python to disable the browser and search buttons?

Nope to both. You can install Python and the script, I think. You can download them from another thread. The only button that bothers me is the B, which I disable in the Settings.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
pardon my stupidity, but where in the settings do you disable it?

Settings -> Applications -> Quick launch. Tap & hold on "b" and clear it. It won't call the browser anymore, but in some apps if you touch it then it will be like you pressed the b key on a keyboard.

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Ok. Thanks man! ROM works great so far. I think I've reloaded it back like I had it.

Pecked out on my rooted Kyros MID1024

fmnelson

Oct 10, 2011
lfom this ROM works great. flashed my 1024 and had absolutely no issues. Market version is perfect.

Now my wish list is down to 3 items:
1) Someone come up with a hack that will force Froyo to use front camera for Skype video chat
2) Someone give lfom the goodix drivers to complete his Gingerbread Rom (this will allow me to do away with number 1)
3) Google, please release ICS so the genius ROM cookers on this forum can port it to the 1024

Thanks again lfom