New Vizio Update to 1.1.5?

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
Dear Bill2,
Enough *****ing and complaining already.. just return it, I saw the 'warning thread' you posted for new tablet owners..smh...

Agreed. Just because they patched the root, doesn't mean they aren't working on the other problems you listed. No guarantee, of course, but I hardly think that it's worth it to return the sub-$200 Vizio tab just because you are sore that they patched it.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
Mine just updated but since I'm not rooted no problems here. I wonder why they closed the security hole that allowed rooting? Is there a larger security issue we don't know about.

Last if this is a true issue I agree just return it, and I see this tab geared more to lower end users like me that want to browse the web and a entertainment device. The vtab does this well and all my music and photos fit nicely on my 32gb micro sd card. But like others it would be a nice piece of mind to be able to take full advantage of the sd card.

Jim

dornstar

Sep 3, 2011
Had an exchange with Vizio on Twitter about this...

VIZIOsupport VIZIO Support

@psigel -The update is for security vulnerabilities. We aren't given an exact list of the changes made, I apologize for any inconvenience.

ryandorn Ryan Dorn

@VIZIOsupport Which is code for we're f*cking you out of root instead of doing something worthwhile like fixing the garbage SD card crap.

@VIZIOsupport
VIZIO Support
@ryandorn Rooting voids the warranty, we want our customers to be protected against potential issues, I apologize for any inconvenience.

ryandorn Ryan Dorn

@VIZIOsupport Why don't you let me worry about MY warranty and YOU worry about fixing the issues with this tablet.

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
Had an exchange with Vizio on Twitter about this...

VIZIOsupport VIZIO Support

@psigel -The update is for security vulnerabilities. We aren't given an exact list of the changes made, I apologize for any inconvenience.

ryandorn Ryan Dorn

@VIZIOsupport Which is code for we're f*cking you out of root instead of doing something worthwhile like fixing the garbage SD card crap.

@VIZIOsupport
VIZIO Support
@ryandorn Rooting voids the warranty, we want our customers to be protected against potential issues, I apologize for any inconvenience.

ryandorn Ryan Dorn

@VIZIOsupport Why don't you let me worry about MY warranty and YOU worry about fixing the issues with this tablet.

LOL. What? And they never responded??? Hehe

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
I have had a similar exchange. Vizio support admitted rooting is useful, but due to warranty concerns they don't want customers to be at risk. I can understand that some folks could brick their vtabs trying to root and they'd be on the hook to fix the problem. I suggested that better customer relations could be achieved by fixing the ad hoc network and SD card issues.

In any event, the hacker community is tenacious. Some one may figure out a new exploit. Some will freeze updates. It is still worth what we paid for it.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
The customer service rationale rings a little hollow. If a Vtab were to develop problems unrelated to rooting, Vizio could certainly choose to fix them. After all, it can decide what warranty claims to honor. And by closing and/or killing the root, the company has decreased the usability to customers. While I'm not a conspiracy buff, it's almost as if they want to do all they can do not to allow us to increase the product's capabilities.

The move is not unusual, as others have pointed out. Amazon just did this with the Kindle Fire:

http://gizmodo.com/5863640/kindle-fire-auto+update-scorches-roots-and-shutters-android-marketplace/

Still, it is disappointing that they issued this update instead of addressing the issues that cause customers to root. Wouldn't we all be more accepting of this move if Vizio said: We will fix the ad hoc and SD card issues when you get the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich?

Last edited:

Deandec

Nov 25, 2011
If as others have indicated, the SD card storage issue is common to Android OS, then the VTAB problem is that the internal storage provided in their unit is too small for some users.

The fix to that is probably a new tab with a higher price much like one pays more for a 32GB Ipad than a 16Gb Ipad.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Why should Vizio's customers have to buy a new tab if the problems can be fixed with rooting?

Oct 10, 2011
I can see Vizio's concern in all of this. Forums like this can encourage newbies to attempt a root even tho they have no idea what a root involves or what it will do for them. End result is many of them will brick the unit and return it to the purchased store as "defective". Stores will look at the higher rate of returns, decide the product has quality issues and quit carrying it. Vizio will be able to recover the returned units but will then have to resell them as factory reconditioned at a lower price.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
If as others have indicated, the SD card storage issue is common to Android OS, then the VTAB problem is that the internal storage provided in their unit is too small for some users.

The fix to that is probably a new tab with a higher price much like one pays more for a 32GB Ipad than a 16Gb Ipad.
Or, as I've suggested at least once already, app developers could write non-brain-dead apps by allowing for (potentially) large datasets to be stored in a configurable place.

Software developers for other platforms do it all the time. You pick a spot that's guaranteed to be there and is appropriate for storing modifiable configuration files (the equivalent to /etc or /usr/local/etc in a Unix/Linux environment, for example), stash a small configuration file in there that contains directives for where the rest of the app's stuff is, and Bob's your uncle.

This really isn't rocket surgery
rolleyes.gif

By the same token: Manufacturers (are you listening, Vizio?) really shouldn't be calling something "sdcard" unless it really is an SD card. This is basic POLA. (Principle Of Least Astonishment.)

The more time I spend in the 'droid universe, the less impressed I become. Google really needs to step up to the plate and impose some reasonable minimal standards on this thing.

Jim

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Hilltop, you are hitting the nail on the head - Vizio's self-interest drove this move. So, to protect the bottom line, Vizio prevents users from screwing up their own systems.

Yet, wouldn't a better customer service practice, a la Apple, be to put out software patches that cure the problems rooting fixes?

fadefx

Nov 27, 2011
@gjhuff, do you really think apple does anything better with breaking each update they push the jailbreak? Sure, they do implement some stuff to lower the need to jailbreak, but Google does this also, look at the new features in ics...
However, i don't think the sdcard issue will ever be fixed on these tablets, but i also think that implementing selectable folder locations is something Google as an app developer and all, or most, of the other app devs will need to learn, there will always be low spec devices that don't have enough built in storage so the users will be in the need to select the storage location in any app. But there are also other things that annoy member like that apps create folders in the root directory of the sdcard for files the user normally does not need to view instead of putting them into /sdcard/android/data/*your app here*/ like Google demonstrate it with their apps and some devs do, not most don't. But this is also Google's fault, due to not having a filemanager in their system by default.

Ah, and i do love "rocket surgery" lol

Last edited:

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Or, as I've suggested at least once already, app developers could write non-brain-dead apps by allowing for (potentially) large datasets to be stored in a configurable place.

You are absolutely right on this. But - until recently on every Android device the /sdcard mount point was the user's external SD Card.

. . .By the same token: Manufacturers (are you listening, Vizio?) really shouldn't be calling something "sdcard" unless it really is an SD card. This is basic POLA. (Principle Of Least Astonishment.)

Agreed - but while not a standard, the practice has been that certain user data is stored on an external SD Card, if available. I think that manufacturers chose to use the /sdcard mount point for internal memory because of users who just want things to work and because it was the easiest work-around. Dumb - but easy.

. . The more time I spend in the 'droid universe, the less impressed I become. Google really needs to step up to the plate and impose some reasonable minimal standards on this thing.

Jim

They can place stricter requirements on devices that want to use the Google name, but Android does use the Apache 2 license, which means they can not restrict who uses it or how.

fadefx

Nov 27, 2011
But they can force them to apply to some standards to be able to use market and other Google apps.
Sdcard mountpoint is used to be able to use the device without having an external sdcard.
--------------------------
tapatalked from vizio vtab1008