Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

BULLDOGG

May 3, 2011
Ok guys with the stock coby system files from Dave, I was able to boot back in to stock coby. ! main problem was fixed the soft keys, but camera does not work. I tried to open it but the screen stays black and forces tab into a reboot. Another thing that is really needed is wifi and it does not work. Tab Sees wifi connections but wont connect. Another thing. The hero pad boot up screens stays intact so I dont know if that is what causing the problems. Im going to try a little more to see what I can do.

can i ask what you did? i am also trying some things with daves files.

astaccz

May 17, 2011
Coby with Android 2.2 or Android 2.3?

Its the exact 2.2 that came stock but some things dont work. The heropad boot/splash screen is still there though. Maybe it is the Uboot thing you were explaining. Everything works except wifi and camera.

astaccz

May 17, 2011
can i ask what you did? i am also trying some things with daves files.

I took out the heropad system files and swapped them with daves. I also edited some of the system files that were in the heropad user data archive (utv210_userdata.tgz) to match with the coby.

astaccz

May 17, 2011
all i did was take UTMODULES from daves files and added it to http://www.mediafire.com/?xuc026occqw2aog . and everything works. just need to find the camera files and werer back in buisness.

Works perfectly bulldogg. Thanks. I ended up with low disk space notification 10 mb free device storage. I deleted the firmware files from sd card then did the combo update keys and had the update thing make partitions. Now I have 430mb device storage. Only thing left is the cam.

BULLDOGG

May 3, 2011
i wonder if you could do that with the gingerbread firmaware. cause that was my only gripe. is with the low disk space.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
OK... So after I found the SD hiding under the stupid tape... I pulled it out and made a backup using the EASEUS Backup program. Then I recovered the stock image you posted. Popped the card in and booted holding down the Home and Power button to try and get to the Recovery/Partitioning program on the Coby screen. Nothing. The tab simply showed the "Update System Activated message them goes black. So I'm still broken there.

3 side effects noted:
01.) I decided to go back to the backup image I saved. I popped the card back in and booted... expecting that all my apps and settings that were saved in the backup would be restored. Yeah... NO. It's as if it's the first time I booted the system. I had to recalibrate and all my apps were not installed anymore. All the APK files I had saved using AppSaver and the couple pictures I took when testing the camera were still on the card though.

02.) AppsLib now reports my device is not supported. I also cannot install the official Android Market. I can install Amazon but it hangs on Authentication and never completes.
UPDATE: Amazon is working after an edit to my build.prop file. I forgot I tried to get Netflix working on the device and changed the model and manufacturer type. Once I reverted, Amazon started working again. However the AppsLib is still saying my device is not compatible.

03.) Wireless is flakey now. Even sitting close to the router ... it seems to take an extraordinary amount of time to transmit data.
UPDATE: As per number 2 update... changing the model and manufacturer back to the defaults seems to have fixed the flakey wireless.

OK... so I reinstalled everything. Then I got the bright idea to upgrade from the 4GB class 4 that it came with to an 8GB class 10. So I restored my backup image to the bigger card ... used Acronis Partition Manager to expand the FAT32 partition to take the remaining space. Then popped the card back in the tab and boot. Again... as if it was the first time I started the device.

So just to make sure I could duplicate the side effects. I reinstalled all the apps (well just 5), pulled the card, backed it up, formatted the SD and removed all partitions, then restored the exact same image I had just created (with the 5 apps), then popped it back in the tab.

End Result ... every time I make any modification to the SD card ... even putting the exact same image back on it ... the tab is doing some sort of reset, the app markets stop working, and wifi is flakey. Good thing I have 2 of these. One I can mess with and one that stays official.

UGH! The joys of hacking and modding! =)

Last edited:

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
BRICK! Bricked hard!

So in my frustration with the AppsLib not working and Amazon being so watered down as far as content... I tried to put the Android Market on my tablet using another post here. The one where the person said to copy over the 4 files with Root Explorer and then reboot. Yeah. Reboot results in just the Coby screen ... then it turns off.

Since I seemed to have wiped out the Recovery function (HOME and Power on boot) ... the device won't simply rewrite the partitions. I even tried using the backup I made prior to copying the files. No go. So this device is definitely copying stuff from the internal SD card to the ROM/system. I can't even boot without the internal card so it's definitely needed in order to boot.

UGH!

astaccz

May 17, 2011
OK... So after I found the SD hiding under the stupid tape... I pulled it out and made a backup using the EASEUS Backup program. Then I recovered the stock image you posted. Popped the card in and booted holding down the Home and Power button to try and get to the Recovery/Partitioning program on the Coby screen. Nothing. The tab simply showed the "Update System Activated message them goes black. So I'm still broken there.

3 side effects noted:
01.) I decided to go back to the backup image I saved. I popped the card back in and booted... expecting that all my apps and settings that were saved in the backup would be restored. Yeah... NO. It's as if it's the first time I booted the system. I had to recalibrate and all my apps were not installed anymore. All the APK files I had saved using AppSaver and the couple pictures I took when testing the camera were still on the card though.

02.) AppsLib now reports my device is not supported. I also cannot install the official Android Market. I can install Amazon but it hangs on Authentication and never completes.
UPDATE: Amazon is working after an edit to my build.prop file. I forgot I tried to get Netflix working on the device and changed the model and manufacturer type. Once I reverted, Amazon started working again. However the AppsLib is still saying my device is not compatible.

03.) Wireless is flakey now. Even sitting close to the router ... it seems to take an extraordinary amount of time to transmit data.
UPDATE: As per number 2 update... changing the model and manufacturer back to the defaults seems to have fixed the flakey wireless.

OK... so I reinstalled everything. Then I got the bright idea to upgrade from the 4GB class 4 that it came with to an 8GB class 10. So I restored my backup image to the bigger card ... used Acronis Partition Manager to expand the FAT32 partition to take the remaining space. Then popped the card back in the tab and boot. Again... as if it was the first time I started the device.

So just to make sure I could duplicate the side effects. I reinstalled all the apps (well just 5), pulled the card, backed it up, formatted the SD and removed all partitions, then restored the exact same image I had just created (with the 5 apps), then popped it back in the tab.

End Result ... every time I make any modification to the SD card ... even putting the exact same image back on it ... the tab is doing some sort of reset, the app markets stop working, and wifi is flakey. Good thing I have 2 of these. One I can mess with and one that stays official.

UGH! The joys of hacking and modding! =)

Your trying on the uploaded heropad firmware or just trying to recover from brick?

astaccz

May 17, 2011
@bulldogg the method you posted I did it and everything works. There are.some things I noticed. When you plug in the charger, does the charging icon show in the status bar? Also on mine the silver home button works as the back button. Does these happen with your tab?

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum