Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Hi all, which rom works for 8024. I read every page in this thread I have downloaded c8lean v.041 v2 and also wicced gb rom not sure which one will work and if I need modified u_boot.bin to keep camera and soft keys working.I see that flxrm removed his files so guide at top of pg 31 is not accurate.

I already remove it since i already included my modified u-boot.bin with my modified c8lean v.05 for 7024. I might update the old v.041 v2 to include it.

Please note Coby already release a new board. My board have a 7025 markings while new 7024 have 7024 v06 mark in their board. I'm going to assume 8024 also have updated one. So while the rom's i share works perfectly with my tablet, there's no assurance that it will work with yours.

Also please remember i'm using the original 7024 drivers and files

So while some 8024 works with the 7024 rom i shared, i really dont know why its not working with the others ex. White screen only. Its possible you might have different lcd driver. So please be aware of this.

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Hi all, which rom works for 8024. I read every page in this thread I have downloaded c8lean v.041 v2 and also wicced gb rom not sure which one will work and if I need modified u_boot.bin to keep camera and soft keys working.I see that flxrm removed his files so guide at top of pg 31 is not accurate.

You only need the modified uboot.bin if your camera is not working. Usually that happen if you use other custom rom that updates the uboot.bin that uses different camera initialization command.

Menelkir

Jul 29, 2011
Just in case, Im trying to figure out how to port from other system to 7024 but I have strange issues here. My tab i always warning about free space, so when I take a look inside a shell, I dont see any other filesystem mounted than the internal flash.

Can someone log in inside an adb shell or terminal emulator and post the results of this for me? Thanks.

df -h

cat /proc/mounts

cat /proc/parititions

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
I already remove it since i already included my modified u-boot.bin with my modified c8lean v.05 for 7024. I might update the old v.041 v2 to include it.

Please note Coby already release a new board. My board have a 7025 markings while new 7024 have 7024 v06 mark in their board. I'm going to assume 8024 also have updated one. So while the rom's i share works perfectly with my tablet, there's no assurance that it will work with yours.

Also please remember i'm using the original 7024 drivers and files

So while some 8024 works with the 7024 rom i shared, i really dont know why its not working with the others ex. White screen only. Its possible you might have different lcd driver. So please be aware of this.

Thank you for your positive and helpful response. I figured How to modify the u_boot.bin file using notepad++ after reading other members post...I actually found a c8lean v1.2 that worked but I was confident and flashed several different firmwares. Unfortunately I flashed Haipad_m7_rootable rom but I didn't modify the utv210_root.tgz and now I have the dreaded white screen. My board is marked mid8024 v.002. Just posting my findings. The Haipad m7 works fine when you modify the utv210_root and add in the home button fix.. It fixed the non working volume but all soft button do not work except Home button. In conclusion if you have mid8024 using the edits for camera work on every Rom, The home button edit works as well. but the modules for all other soft button did not work. I had Soft bricked my device adding skype so I flashed wicced247 rom first ....it boots and made the touch screen very usuable. but a lot of force closes. Next I flashed a c8lean v 1.2 That rom is the second best once you use the edit to get the home buttom to work.The haipad m7 rom i think is best choice because it has working volume buttons and once you add on the camera and home button fix its tolerable. I use Tileg script and used uboot wo logo on most roms I tried.Just so people with 8024 understand if your device works WAIT FOR THE OFFICIAL UPDATE FROM COBY unless you know what you are doing. The modified roms are nice but the stock rom works best if you have no problems, because you loose soft buttons and screen resolution

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
@vernox

COBY is trolling us..they also send me the same email "wait for 2 weeks"...

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
@vernox

COBY is trolling us..they also send me the same email "wait for 2 weeks"...
I hope they follow through otherwise people will buy tablets from someone else.I have an acer a500 which is really nice but I bought the Mid8024 because its smaller and can take it more places. I will be a little hesitant to buy again if I don't get this one fixed.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
@vernox
Question what ver of Haipad M7 rootable rom did you use? 322? Because the first rom i shared before is "Haipad_M7_322_rootable-7024keys". The mod for that are the (tileg)utscript and Softkeys/Home button only. That rom is base on Tuen's.

Kinda funny because its now being shared at other brazilian blog :p

Slk696

Sep 6, 2011
I'm from Argentina. I have a Kyros 7024 and i'm waiting For update. do send a mail and they responded. The next five bussines day. I wating yet. Sorry for my english.

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
@vernox
Question what ver of Haipad M7 rootable rom did you use? 322? Because the first rom i shared before is "Haipad_M7_322_rootable-7024keys". The mod for that are the (tileg)utscript and Softkeys/Home button only. That rom is base on Tuen's.

Kinda funny because its now being shared at other brazilian blog :p

Well I used The Haipad rom and it worked it restored my volume buttons but I became ambitious and tried a different rom without modifying anything and it caused the white screen display problem. also I could not download any files that you posted so I was determined to figure out how to fix my tablet

Last edited:

Menelkir

Jul 29, 2011
I'm from Argentina. I have a Kyros 7024 and i'm waiting For update. do send a mail and they responded. The next five bussines day. I wating yet. Sorry for my english.

Always the same answer, 5 business days, after that, they'll never answer you again. Im thinking about taking this to sites like gizmodo. :)

BTW, if I just put my hands in this damn official update, I can port a sense rom to mid7024, I just need to figure some stuff I dont get yet.

Arlic

May 13, 2011
Thought I would update this thread with some more info. :))

I have tried ROM's "CFW-Base-on-C8lean_v0.51-MID7024.rar" and "wicced_7024c8lean_v1.rar" straight
"out-of-the-box". I know, edit them dummy, but since I don't know about that stuff yet, I deceided to
just use the infamous modded file "modified_U-boot-bin.rar". BTW, the "CFW" file can be found on page 35,
thread #344 by "flxrms", and the "wicced" file can be found on page 35, thread #341 by "wicced247".
And the file "modified_U-boot-bin.rar" you can get from "flxrms" because he removed his orignal link.

Ok, fun, onward. So, I basically, used the same steps from last time.

1)Format 16G microSD with FAT32(outside tablet).
2)Extract "wicced_7024c8lean_v1.rar" into root of microSD card.
3)Extract "modified_U-boot-bin.rar" into root microSD card(overwrite stuff on SD card).
4)Put microSD card into Coby 8024.
5)Press "Home"(shiny button) & "Power Button" at same time.

Now the fun in "fun" begins. :-((

The machine starts to load the kernal and all that stuff, fun, and then the entire display takes
on a "whitish" color. It wasn't really a "pure" white, but rather like a 2 year old painting on
a window for the first time. Now, I have read this thread enough to know that this kinda sounds like
the dreaded "white-screen-of-death" many others reading this thread have become acquainted with on
a first name basis. :)) So, I did what every smart minded "COBY" tablet owner would do----throw the darn
thing out into HEAVY traffic. :_)) No, I shut the thing off before major damage could occur. :))

I don't know why the "wicced" file killed my MID8024, but maybe it was a step I missed in this thousand+
page thread.

Anyway, I repeated the above steps 1-5 with the "CFW" file instead and brought the MID8024 back to life.
:))

It seems everything is working right(HOME, VOLUME, BACK, CAMERA, INTERNET), so far. I will have to test
it more to be really sure.

Just wanted to throw out some more info, and a warning, that if you think your COBY is in danger of
dying just power if off---FAST. I might work for you too.

Bye...
Arlic

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
Thought I would update this thread with some more info. :))

I have tried ROM's "CFW-Base-on-C8lean_v0.51-MID7024.rar" and "wicced_7024c8lean_v1.rar" straight
"out-of-the-box". I know, edit them dummy, but since I don't know about that stuff yet, I deceided to
just use the infamous modded file "modified_U-boot-bin.rar". BTW, the "CFW" file can be found on page 35,
thread #344 by "flxrms", and the "wicced" file can be found on page 35, thread #341 by "wicced247".
And the file "modified_U-boot-bin.rar" you can get from "flxrms" because he removed his orignal link.

Ok, fun, onward. So, I basically, used the same steps from last time.

1)Format 16G microSD with FAT32(outside tablet).
2)Extract "wicced_7024c8lean_v1.rar" into root of microSD card.
3)Extract "modified_U-boot-bin.rar" into root microSD card(overwrite stuff on SD card).
4)Put microSD card into Coby 8024.
5)Press "Home"(shiny button) & "Power Button" at same time.

Now the fun in "fun" begins. :-((

The machine starts to load the kernal and all that stuff, fun, and then the entire display takes
on a "whitish" color. It wasn't really a "pure" white, but rather like a 2 year old painting on
a window for the first time. Now, I have read this thread enough to know that this kinda sounds like
the dreaded "white-screen-of-death" many others reading this thread have become acquainted with on
a first name basis. :)) So, I did what every smart minded "COBY" tablet owner would do----throw the darn
thing out into HEAVY traffic. :_)) No, I shut the thing off before major damage could occur. :))

I don't know why the "wicced" file killed my MID8024, but maybe it was a step I missed in this thousand+
page thread.

Anyway, I repeated the above steps 1-5 with the "CFW" file instead and brought the MID8024 back to life.
:))

It seems everything is working right(HOME, VOLUME, BACK, CAMERA, INTERNET), so far. I will have to test
it more to be really sure.

Just wanted to throw out some more info, and a warning, that if you think your COBY is in danger of
dying just power if off---FAST. I might work for you too.

Bye...
Arlic

I will state again my custom GingerBread rom was aimed for the mid7024 because that was the device i owned. i do not know how it will work on other devices so please use with caution if ur not using it on a Coby Kryos mid7024.

On a bit of good news i should be buying another mid7024 by the end of next week which will be between 15th and 17th hopefully. if i do decide to give Coby more of my money i will be working on my custom Gingerbread rom v2 which i will not release until i get working Volume keys and Camera.

An to everyone who is still on stock Coby rom please remember........ do not fix it if its not broken :)