Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

battery360

May 27, 2011
I'm having some issues with my tablet (which is to say I kinda killed the os and it hangs on the android logo), I can still access the coby recovery/update menu, and I have tried pressing up/home to do a reset but it still hangs on the android logo. What would be my best course of action? I've seen here that some of the gingerbread roms for the Herotab C8 work on the 7024..
I leave for europe in 2 days and I need this working asap! Please help!

Update: Fixed it. FW0506 works with the 7024

Last edited:

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
I'm having some issues with my tablet (which is to say I kinda killed the os and it hangs on the android logo), I can still access the coby recovery/update menu, and I have tried pressing up/home to do a reset but it still hangs on the android logo. What would be my best course of action? I've seen here that some of the gingerbread roms for the Herotab C8 work on the 7024..
I leave for europe in 2 days and I need this working asap! Please help!

Update: Fixed it. FW0506 works with the 7024

Thanks for posting that worked. I will give it a shot. Similar to you, I hosed the OS, so I'll try and see if I can get something working.

battery360

May 27, 2011
Thanks for posting that worked. I will give it a shot. Similar to you, I hosed the OS, so I'll try and see if I can get something working.
Before I did any of this I gave Coby tech support a call. Worthless.
Be warned: The camera and volume buttons don't work with 0506 and the home button just acts like a back button. I'm travelling right now but when I arrive I'll try and find out if asure's cyanogenmod release for the herotab ([ROM][v0.4] CyanogenMod 7.1.0 by Asure - Gingerbread 2.3.4 for Dropad/Herotab! - SlateDroid.com) will work with the 7024. I'm itching to throw it on but I need my tablet to kill time on the flights :/

OP used 0419, might wanna give that one a shot, as Spiritwolf didn't mention anything not working.

Also, I was able to update with an external sd card, not formatting the internal one or anything like that.
I just dumped the zip file (available here: http://leeyuentuen.byethost15.com/blog/?p=1667 ) to an extra (8gb) microsd card and went into update mode (power+home). There was no prompt or anything, the tablet just started formatting and updating so watch out for that if you need to back anything up.

sicvolo

May 28, 2011
I got mine bricked by hosing /system/bin's permissions. Got it back by pooping the internal SD out and booting it empty. ADBD will come up and let you fix your stuff.
The internal SD is just a config keeper, all the good stuff is on the NAND Flash.
Could somebody recommend a good way to make a restorable flash backup?

battery360

May 27, 2011
I got mine bricked by hosing /system/bin's permissions. Got it back by pooping the internal SD out and booting it empty. ADBD will come up and let you fix your stuff.
The internal SD is just a config keeper, all the good stuff is on the NAND Flash.
Could somebody recommend a good way to make a restorable flash backup?
Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

Is it possible to install a boot loader or clockworks rom manager on the 7024 or could flashing to cyanogenmod still kill it?

sicvolo

May 28, 2011
If I knew a way to take a backup of the flash and/or the bootloader I could post it here, so you can go back in case something goes wrong.
Hopefully it can work with Coby's native bootloader's update/restore functionality (Power+Home).

Last edited:

battery360

May 27, 2011
If I knew a way to take a backup of the flash and/or the bootloader I could post it here, so you can go back in case something goes wrong.
Hopefully it can work with Coby's native bootloader's update/restore functionality (Power+Home).

I've noticed that with the new rom the coby logo is gone. Has the bootloader also been replaced with the new rom? Basically I'm just wondering if I'll still have a recovery or update option if the cyanogenmod rom fails to install.

sparksplur

May 31, 2011
okay im so tired of tryin to fix this lol... i have the coby mid7024 n tried to go cyn though like alot of others it sorta didnt work well... so then i tried to find alot of ways to revert back not having any success... the closest i got was the link that BULLDOGG gave earlier that got me to basically be back but have a green camera screen and then soft keys not working.. im not sure wat UTMODULES are so i didnt now what he meant when he said he replaced them... i jus want my 2.2 back lol... someone help :(

sparksplur

May 31, 2011
UGH i could KISS YOU BULLDOGG lol.. soft keys working now.. camera still green but dont really care lol.. jus happy to have soft keys again