Video:My vtab1008 after Honeycomb update.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nice video. It definitely looks better than stock Gingerbread. Seemed like Quadrant got stuck on the CPU for a while there and as you noted the score wasn't that good. Like you also said though benchmarks aren't everything. I just wanted to see the graphics tests run and those all looked pretty good.

I think the screen resolution looks great and is a step up from the ballooned icons in the previous versions (sorry old eyes people). The HC theme does a good job of making it an HC looking tablet. I do like their custom touches to the home button and the larger clock (not sure I like it centered) but they really should have left the functionality of the status bar as well. Sucks that it can't be hidden and the menu button won't show in certain apps. Maybe the next update will fix some of these issues.

Have you tired all the methods for usb storage to the pc (removing the device, adding the drivers, etc.) in the threads?

EDIT ICS:

Just for comparison ICS on an A100.

Source: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-a100/34549-video-android-4-0-a100.html

Last edited by a moderator:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just ran Quadrant on stock rooted Gingerbread (no changes that would effect performance) and scored a 918. So that is within the same range maybe HC is a little faster but it certainly seems that the user experience is faster from the comments.

Gatekeeper

Apr 4, 2012
I would really like the type of home screen you have! How do i get this? Currently it just takes me to all apps and it kinda sucks!

alucard9114

Dec 12, 2011
I have spent hours trying to get my vtab to hook up to my PC and have had no luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lesterF

Mar 9, 2012
I like VTL launcher as well, but it doesn't work for me. It installs fine and works until I reboot. Then, when booting, it just hangs on the V logo screen and never completely boots up. I have to do a factory reset to get the tablet to turn on again. Does anyone else have this problem?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I like VTL launcher as well, but it doesn't work for me. It installs fine and works until I reboot. Then, when booting, it just hangs on the V logo screen and never completely boots up. I have to do a factory reset to get the tablet to turn on again. Does anyone else have this problem?

Not sure about that problem maybe uninstall and reinstall vtl launcher. In any case there are many other home launchers you can use. Just search the market for home launcher and pick the one that looks the best to you.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
If you want to see something in my next video let me know.

Thanks for your video and I'd like to see you do a video about "Roger's vtab1008 after the Honeycomb update and what he misses most after the update." Then I'll try to get Vizio to see it so maybe they can fix the problems I've found.

Since you have already mentioned the buttons stay on the screen there is no need to mention that it turns out to be 73 pixels of the 768 or 9.5% of the screen in landscape mode that is now dedicated to the buttons that used to be below the screen.

I'd like to see you put the following into a video but I have to leave it up to you if you really want to do it.

Using the browser start at m.youtube.com and try to view your video titled "Vizio vtab1008 honeycomb part 2" without using the youtube application itself. You will find that you can select your video but when you go to play it all you will get is black where the video should be. But don't worry about that because there is still a way to view that video starting at m.youtube.com.

Now to view your video starting where you left off above go down to the very bottom of the page and then tap on "Desktop" in the right hand corner and then select "Browser." Your video will start to play just fine in the browser.

Now tap on the very center of your video and your video should pause. But here is the part that frustrates me. Try to tap in the very center of your video to restart it. There is no way tapping on the video will restart your video. What you have to do is find the words "Show more" below your video and tap on that first. After you tap on "Show more" then you can tap on the very center of your video to restart it. FYI when my VTAB1008 was Gingerbread I never had to tap on "Show more" to show more of videos.

The last thing that frustrates me is how Dolphin Browser HD works when viewing a page that uses the Adobe Flashplayer. But to see where this screws up you have to select two options when you first start the Dolphin Browser. You have to set it up as Desktop and you have to say always enable Flash.

Now given that you have done those two above use the Dolphin Browser HD to go to iHeartRadio | Real & Custom Radio Stations - Listen Free Online and select any radio station at all. Once you see the player use two fingers to zoom in on that page but only zoom far enough that the player ends up in the middle of the screen. Now try to use your finger to move the player. All you will be able to move is the background and not the player itself.

I suspect that Vizio used the exact same Adobe Flashplayer that they used when their tablet was running Gingerbread and I wish they would let me go back to Gingerbread until they can do something about going fullscreen and the Adobe flashplayer.

Thanks again for your video about the VTAB1008.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The last thing that frustrates me is how Dolphin Browser HD works when viewing a page that uses the Adobe Flashplayer. But to see where this screws up you have to select two options when you first start the Dolphin Browser. You have to set it up as Desktop and you have to say always enable Flash.

Now given that you have done those two above use the Dolphin Browser HD to go to iHeartRadio | Real & Custom Radio Stations - Listen Free Online and select any radio station at all. Once you see the player use two fingers to zoom in on that page but only zoom far enough that the player ends up in the middle of the screen. Now try to use your finger to move the player. All you will be able to move is the background and not the player itself.

You only have to make this change in Dolphin once, so it's not really a big deal.

Instead of pinching to zoom the video to the full screen size, try double tapping it to zoom it to the right size. Better yet try looking at the player controls and touch the one that expands the video to full screen. The Android buttons will be there so it isn't really full screen. This is sort of the new way of Android so you should get use to it to some degree. There should be an option hopefully in a future Vizio update to have this bar hide when you go to "full screen" mode. Just give them a chance.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
You only have to make this change in Dolphin once, so it's not really a big deal.

Instead of pinching to zoom the video to the full screen size, try double tapping it to zoom it to the right size. Better yet try looking at the player controls and touch the one that expands the video to full screen. The Android buttons will be there so it isn't really full screen. This is sort of the new way of Android so you should get use to it to some degree. There should be an option hopefully in a future Vizio update to have this bar hide when you go to "full screen" mode. Just give them a chance.

What you are posting about above only worked in the youtube application and that worked the same even if the Adobe Flashplayer is removed.

What I am trying to prove is that Vizio used the exact same Adobe Flashplayer for their Honeycomb OS that they used with their Gingerbread OS and that is why things mess up when you go to web pages that use the Adobe Flashplayer.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What you are posting about above only worked in the youtube application and that worked the same even if the Adobe Flashplayer is removed.

What I am trying to prove is that Vizio used the exact same Adobe Flashplayer for their Honeycomb OS that they used with their Gingerbread OS and that is why things mess up when you go to web pages that use the Adobe Flashplayer.

You can try and "prove" that but you are missing the point. This isn't a Vizio issue and the version of Flash being the "Gingerbread version" or otherwise doesn't matter. I am using the latest Flash 11 on a Gingerbread Vtab without problems. What you are really saying is you don't have the latest Flash on your Vtab and Flash is causing you problems. There is nothing to "prove" about what version Vizio is running. The Google Play store isn't showing the latest app as being available that is again not Vizio's fault. Blame Adobe and Google Play store for not showing you the newest Flash version available for your device.

Even so you can still load the newest Flash on your Vtab. Simply find the app file, which is called an apk, for the latest Flash and download it. You can do this directly from the browser on the tablet or from a PC and then use a USB cable or wireless transfer to move the file to the Vtab. Install the apk and you now have the latest Flash running on your device. This may or may not solve certain issues you are having but there is no conspiracy by Vizio against having the Flash on your Vtab if you want it.

I would like to see you use the tablet the way you want and not be disappointed by the shortcomings of Flash or the Play store. It seems the issues you are having are Flash related and there is no reason you can't over come them by simply installing the latest Flash.

JP

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
You can try and "prove" that but you are missing the point. This isn't a Vizio issue and the version of Flash being the "Gingerbread version" or otherwise doesn't matter. I am using the latest Flash 11 on a Gingerbread Vtab without problems. What you are really saying is you don't have the latest Flash on your Vtab and Flash is causing you problems. There is nothing to "prove" about what version Vizio is running. The Google Play store isn't showing the latest app as being available that is again not Vizio's fault. Blame Adobe and Google Play store for not showing you the newest Flash version available for your device.

Even so you can still load the newest Flash on your Vtab. Simply find the app file, which is called an apk, for the latest Flash and download it. You can do this directly from the browser on the tablet or from a PC and then use a USB cable or wireless transfer to move the file to the Vtab. Install the apk and you now have the latest Flash running on your device. This may or may not solve certain issues you are having but there is no conspiracy by Vizio against having the Flash on your Vtab if you want it.

I would like to see you use the tablet the way you want and not be disappointed by the shortcomings of Flash or the Play store. It seems the issues you are having are Flash related and there is no reason you can't over come them by simply installing the latest Flash.

JP

MOST IMPORTANT: If you try to install Version 11.1 of the Flashplayer from ""Play Store" onto the Vizio 8" Tablet it will give you the message: "This version of the Flash Player is not optimized for the VIZIO Tablet and will not be installed", but I have seen that exact same version of the Flashplayer install on Froyo devices.

Now given that Vizio distributes version 10.3 of the Adobe Flashplayer with their device the very least they could have done is verify that it worked properly with Honeycomb because it does not. I certainly do not expect Vizio to verify all the programs that can run on their tablet but the should certainly check out the programs that they install on their tablet.

Once again, since Vizio distrubutes the Flashplayer with their device they should have done more testing with it because I can find all sorts of places where it fails big time. And the very least they could do is let us go back to an Operating System that worked with the Flashplayer they distribute.

Incase you missed it. Apple has written their own replacement for the Flashplayer and Google looks like they have a replacement for the Flashplayer in ICS. On top of that I could have sworn that Adobe is giving up updating their Flashplayer for the Mobile Platform and I don't blame them since it appears Microsoft, Google and Apple don't need it with their latest software anyway.

Bottom line is, I doubt very much if Adobe will ever give Vizio a Flashplayer that is updated to work with Honeycomb so anybody that uses the Flashplayer with the Vizio Honeycomb Tablet is out out luck.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry, I still think you are misunderstanding. This isn't a Flash on the Vizio issue. You don't seem to understand Flash and how it works on Android and it isn't that Apple and Google have created their own Flash players. The language the internet is written in has changed and made Flash obsolete. It does still have its uses and the internet has not been rewritten in the new code so Flash is not going away anytime soon. It also isn't moving forward as the major player it once was.

Yes Vizio loaded Flash 10.3 on their device and there may be reasons for this. For example that may have been the newsest Flash available when Vizio began the process of creating the Honeycomb update for the Vtab. If Adobe continues to update Flash then it shouldn't be up to Vizio to try and change what they are doing just for Adobe's sake. Just like any other app, it is up to the developer to put out updates and make sure it works. Flash is an Adobe app plain and simple it is up to Adobe to make any corrections which they have done by releasing Flash 11.

Now the store not reflecting the ability of Flash to be officially installed through the Play store is either a Google issue or Adobe issue. They simply need to make the updates to recognize the Vtab as a permitted device. It is unlikely that Adobe has to do anything special for making a new Flash to work on the Vtab. In fact it does already work on the Vtab. Again, Vizio has no part in this process. They simply update to Honeycomb and it is up to the other player to do their part. It isn't Vizio's responsibility or any other manufacturer's to keep putting the newest version of apps on your device for you.

If you can find all sorts of places Flash 10.3 fails big time that is on Adobe not Vizio. Adobe has addressed the issue by moving past Flash 10.3 and the newer versions do fix many of the issues of 10.3. I assure you this is 100% an Adobe Flash issue and not a Vizio Vtab issue. I have given you the tools to correct the problem and hopefully use the apps that require a newer version of Flash that you are trying to use.

If you choose not to correct the situation then don't go complaining that Vizio has wronged you. Adobe needs to update Flash. Adobe has updated Flash. Flash works with the Vtab and the apps that require the newer Flash. Play store/Adobe have a compatibility issue in the store they need to correct. If they do not you can still get what you need just not from Play store. Your Vtab and the changes Vizio has made work just fine.

You need to load Flash yourself or contact Google and Adobe to have them make it available through Play store. Asking Vizio to fix the problem will not work they have no ability to do so. If you choose not to contact the appropriate parties or fix the problem yourself then you will continue to be needlessly disappointed int your tablet and I am sorry that you don't see that.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
One other note just to be clear on this as well. Since I didn't state it directly in the previous post. You are not having an issue with Flash in Honeycomb. Honeycomb runs just fine without Flash. What you are saying is you are having issues with apps that need to use Flash. In that case get the latest Flash so those apps will work.

You are having app issues and Flash issues and Vizio is not responsible for those. The only way you could possibly blame Honeycomb would be because many developers didn't make updates to their apps to work with Honeycomb. In that case it would still be Google's problem not Vizio's and it would be a stretch to but the blame on Google since it comes back to the app developers not making the appropriate updates. If you want to say Google put out a bad version of Android in Honeycomb so that is why developers don't want to make apps for it fine but at the end of the day that doesn't really get you anywhere and google has moved on to the next version of Android in any case.