Video:My vtab1008 after Honeycomb update.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
FYI I went to a Costco today that had 37 VTAB1008s and they were all Gingerbread too. They had a good price but it would have cost me $55 just to become a member and I don't go there enough for that.

I really liked the Gingerbread VTAB1008 and I might buy another one but I want to know a fool proof way to keep Visio from trying to update it first.

Thanks.

If it has the original software on it all you have to do is root, install Titanium Backup and then freeze the updater. No updates :)

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
If it has the original software on it all you have to do is root, install Titanium Backup and then freeze the updater. No updates :)

If I remember correctly <might not>, you don't need root to freeze the updater

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If I remember correctly <might not>, you don't need root to freeze the updater

I'm not 100% sure about that either. I know there are several apps that can freeze the updater. However, some apps other than Titanium Backup have been reported to brick the device. Be very careful if deciding to use an app besides Titanium Backup.

You do need the paid version of Titanium Backup to freeze programs and I thought you also needed root access but perhaps not.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012

If it is rooted can't you just uninstall the updater?

And the other thing I was thinking of doing was putting it on it's own router and the preventing it from using certain ports so basically the Update service will be hosed before it hoses another Tablet.

BTW I just got of the phone with Vizio again and they tried to tell me that the problems I found with Honeycomb are the way Honeycomb operates. I told them that is not true because if you go to Best Buy and use one of their Honeycomb Tablets you will not have the same problems. I made it very clear that all the extra taping to get a youtube video restarted and stopped again are only on their version of Honeycomb.

She kept asking me is there anything else she can do and I kept saying send me an e-mail when there is an update for their update or send me an e-mail after you find out who will not let us go back to Gingerbread? Is it Google or Vizio?

Shoot, I've spent way too much time on this Vizio Update and I'm sure there are other Tables that might have some of the things that made the Vizio Tablet neat. From what I've seen of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 it looks like it has the speakers on the side in landscape mode and I never really used that IR Blaster excect to show it off to people a long time ago so I can live without that.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If it is rooted can't you just uninstall the updater?

Not necessarily. Completely removing the updater could brick the tablet considering utility apps other than Titanium Backup have caused the tablet to brick by messing with the updater. Not sure what the issue with those is but the way they freeze the updater may be similar to uninstalling it. If you choose to uninstall the updater just beware that it *could* possibly brick the tablet. Freezing with Titanium Backup accomplishes the same thing and is confirmed to not brick.

And the other thing I was thinking of doing was putting it on it's own router and the preventing it from using certain ports so basically the Update service will be hosed before it hoses another Tablet.

Blocking the update with the router is a possibility.

BTW I just got of the phone with Vizio again and they tried to tell me that the problems I found with Honeycomb are the way Honeycomb operates. I told them that is not true because if you go to Best Buy and use one of their Honeycomb Tablets you will not have the same problems. I made it very clear that all the extra taping to get a youtube video restarted and stopped again are only on their version of Honeycomb.

Are you sure about this? What is the extra tapping to get youtube videos started and stopped again? Honeycomb is known to have numerous issues which is why Google has moved on to ICS and many app developers aren't bothering to work on HC compatibility due to the low number of users. Honeycomb was released in February 2011 and only makes up 3.3% of Android devices. Ice Cream Sandwich by comparison has only been out since November 2012 and already makes up 2.9% of Android devices. Basically Honeycomb is a dead end.

She kept asking me is there anything else she can do and I kept saying send me an e-mail when there is an update for their update or send me an e-mail after you find out who will not let us go back to Gingerbread? Is it Google or Vizio?

Google has nothing to do with going backwards or forwards on a particular device. That is Vizio's call. They are not going to let you go back to Gingerbread so you might want to quit banging your head against that wall. Better to focus your energy on asking for an update to ICS which will undoubtedly have its own issues but overall is the best place to be on an Android tablet right now.

Shoot, I've spent way too much time on this Vizio Update and I'm sure there are other Tables that might have some of the things that made the Vizio Tablet neat. From what I've seen of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 it looks like it has the speakers on the side in landscape mode and I never really used that IR Blaster excect to show it off to people a long time ago so I can live without that.

It sucks you have had to put time into adapting to the Vtab changes but that is the way things go sometimes. The price of progress you could say.

There are many Android tablet options out there. The Vtab is by no means the best one. For it's time it had decent specs and features, including a unique screen size, at a reasonable price. It is largely outdated at this point though the current prices still make it attractive to some. The Samsungs are good tablets and some of the models even feature an IR blaster.

By the end of the year there are supposed to be a few sub $250 tablets with the updated hardware specs most, but not all, of the major features and running ICS. It might be worth waiting to see what comes along. If you want it now though and price isn't a factor, go for an ASUS or Samsung or iPad to get a top of the line tablet that should do the majority of things reasonably well without much (or any) effort on your part.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
First, I wish I knew how you are getting the multi-quote to work. I always just end up with one big quote and have to settle for the part of your post I want to address the most.

As for the updater. What I was thinking of doing was just going into Applications->Running services and then stopping the updater before the Tablet was allowed it to make a WiFi connection. That should not brick it because it doesn't change the ROM itself but I'd have to do that every time I turn it on and if for some reason it ends up with a WiFi connection and the updater runs first I'd just do the hard reset using the volume buttons and the power button to try and get it back where it was.

What is the extra tapping to get youtube videos started and stopped again?

I'm very glad you asked the above because this is really my biggest issue with the Honeycomb Vizio Tablet and it upsets me even more than losing 9.5% of screen for buttons that are in the bezel.

The extra tapping on youtube videos is very easy to show to someone but you can't have any defaults setup for the browser. In other words, if you tap on something you should get the option to use the browser or youtube. If you don't see that option when you are in the browser (desktop page) and tap on a youtube video you have to remove the defaults for the browser.

Now how to see the extra tapping to restart a youtube video.

1. Start the Browser, go to Google which is the default for new Tablets then just type in y or yo and you should see a link for youtube.

2. Tap on the youtube link.

3. Sometimes the youtube link will take you to the Desktop version sometimes it will take you to the Mobile version. Just scroll down to the very bottom and if it says "Desktop" in the lower right hand corner you are in the "Mobile" version so tap on "Desktop."

4. If you tapped on "Desktop" you might see an option for "Browser" or "Youtube." That is not important here. All that is important is you stay in the Browser and not start the YouTube application.

5. Tap on a video to play it and you should see the option for "Browser" or "YouTube" here. Be sure to select "Browser" here because that uses the Adobe Flash Player instead of the YouTube application.

6. Tap anywhere on the video to pause the video and then have a lot fun trying to get that video restarted. :D

I never thought it was possible to get that video restarted but a woman at Vizio told me she did it by tapping on the video 6 times. After messing with it for hours myself I found out what she said was not true because you have to tap somewhere besides the video itself before you will be allowed to restart the video. What I tap on to restart the video is the words "Show More" in the comment section below the video then I can tap on the video to restart it.

Even after upgrading my Flash Player to 11.1? the above was still an issue with the Vizio Honeycomb Tablet but if you try the exact same thing on any of the Honeycomb Tablets at Best Buy you do not have the Vizio Honeycomb Tablet problem.

To tell the truthI didn't use my Vizio Tablet for much. I used it for watching TV or Remote Desktop or listening to radio where most of the stuff I used it for looked much better in full screen so even if I didn't have so many problems with the Flash Player and YouTube videos I'd still be upset about Vizio stealing 9.5% of my Remote Desktop screen, 9.5% of the screen for my TV programs and losing 12% of anything I view that looks best in a 4x3 screen ratio.

Even though I've posted the above extra taps before, I hope I've made it very clear above exactly what upsets me the most about the extra tapping on the Vizio Honeycomb update and please don't give me that you should be watching YouTube Videos in the YouTube application because all that does it conceals the fact that the Adobe Flash Player for the Vizio Tablet is not working the same way it does on other Honeycomb Tablets.

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
What is the extra tapping to get youtube videos started and stopped again?

I have a much easier way to demonstrate the problem with the Honeycomb Vizio Tablet above but it requires you have the "Android Tablet Forum" software installed on your Vizio Honeycomb Tablet.

1. Just view this post with the "Android Tablet" software.

2. Press on the "Menu" and then press on "Open Browser" and it should take you to the first post where a youtube video is at.

3. Wait a bit for the background to change from black to a screen shown in the video itself and now you are hosed because you can't do anything with the video from that point on.

Pretty funny huh? It is so easy to screw up the Honeycomb Vizio Tablet that I am surprized to see that Vizio themselves never spotted any of the problems that the Adobe Flash Player has with their Honeycomb upgrade.

ADDED ON 4/13/12

Well, since the video that was in the very first post on this thread has been removed I found another site that can be used to demonstrate problems with the Vizio Honeycomb update and watching YouTube videos in the Browser.

To see problems with the Vizio Honeycomb update go to this page with a tablet running Vizio Honeycomb and see how many times you have tap on the first video to get it to play. :D

I know you can play that video with just two taps but your first tap has to be on the second video/picture before your second tap will start the first video but I don't know why you can't just tap once on the top video to get it to play anymore.

Then to get the first video to pause you have to tap on the second video/picture again before a tap on the first video will pause it.

I talked to Vizio today and if they can't fix the software within 30 days of my initial complaint about the problems I've found with YouTube videos in the Browser I'm going to return my VTAB1008 under warrantee and see if they can give me one that worked like it did when it ran Gingerbread or see if they can give me a Tablet that works like any other Tablet running Honeycomb.

Thanks

Last edited:

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Woot had refurbished Vtab bundles on sale for $159, included VTAB, VTAB folio and HDMI cable. I got another one just to have.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Rodger, go to Costco, buy a new GB tablet. $189. You can side load any flash player. Download it to your computer, save the file. Send yourself an email, via gmail, attach the download to the email. Open the email on your tablet, install with download manger only. It will delete 10.3 install 11.1 and you are good to go. You will get constant reminders that Flash has updated since your install, ignore them.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Roger, go to Costco, buy a new GB tablet. $189.

I did that last Thursday. I even took a photo of the Vizio on display and might post that photo on your thread about Costco Gingerbread VTAB's but my XP computer can not load that jpg so I'll have to try to make that photo smaller on another computer.

FYI I was so upset at the non-reversable HC update very early in April that I called up Vizio and contacted their "Sales" department to find out where to get another GB VTAB1008 and the very nice woman I talked to told me I could get one from Costco.

I thought about it for a few days before I actually picked one up when I realized for what I use it for the VTAB1008 with GB was exactly what I want. Besides I needed one to help document the things that we lost and gained with the HC update. Now I have to track down the way to prevent that message about the HC update from ever showing up before I ever give it a WiFi connection. I know it was posted on this site but I never bookmarked it.

As for downloading and installing the latest Flash Player which I plan to do. Why not just download it and then tap on "Downloads" application? I've done that before to install applications and it works fine as long as you allow "Unknown sources."

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Some people prefer the email method if they aren't as comfortable going to the downloads folder. You are right they both work the same so just use the method you prefer. You need to find a way to freeze the updater. There are app on the Market such as Titanium Backup that do this. They may or may not require root and they may or may not cause other problems. So you know what you need (freeze the updater) to do but doing it is the tricky part.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
You need to find a way to freeze the updater. There are app on the Market such as Titanium Backup that do this. They may or may not require root and they may or may not cause other problems. So you know what you need (freeze the updater) to do but doing it is the tricky part.

Oddly enough, I have a screen capture of "Titanium Backup" not working in another reply to you at: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/37996-costco-gingerbread-vtabs-3.html#post205286 so I will leave it there and mention another problem I found with the HC VTABs. But first a screen capture of the problem:
$shot_000014.png

What you see above is from the Android Browser and it is part of the screen from www.youtube.com being displayed on top of the History. All you have to do is tap on tap on the bookmark icon and you are screwed.

If I load the latest Flash Player it doesn't display that particular image at all anywhere even where it should display it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm not following the problem above. So a Netflix ad is being displayed on top of the History? What happens if you tap on the bookmark (bad?)? If you load the latest Flash you don't get the Netflix ad anymore? Maybe I need a coffee but I don't see the issues.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
J515OP said:
So a Netflix ad is being displayed on top of the History?

What happens if you tap on the bookmark (bad?)?

If you load the latest Flash you don't get the Netflix ad anymore?

1. Ok it actually ended up on top of the bookmarks while I was trying to get to the History. If or when that banner add shows up again I'll try to get before and after screenshots of that quirk.

2. The HC VTAB has the bookmark icon in the upper right hand corner of the browser and that is what I tapped on right before that Netflix add ended up in the Bookmark/"History" page.

3. While the browser with the latest flash player removes the add from the bookmark/"History" page it also removes the add from the web site itself so that is not a correction but another problem.

I'm getting ready to do videos of quirks with HC VTAB but for now a series of screen captures are good enough for me.

Last edited: