Linux Users, Coby 8042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

flacodav

Dec 5, 2012
One more question, where do I find the "boot.img md5sum" to make sure it matches eda433b85d9729422a4be5889982d46d.

Thank you.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Hello, can I do this procedure using the "Terminal.app" from my Imac (Mac OS 10.6.8)

No, you can't root the tablet from the terminal on the tablet.
But you should be able to do it on a mac. download the android SDK for mac. This is for ADB.
AFAIK, the drivers for the tablet are native to macs.

Have you plugged the tablet into the mac yet? Is the tablet storage recognized ?

You can check md5 sums on the tablet with es explorer. Not sure on a mac, tho there surely is a md5 utility for a mac.

Last edited:

flacodav

Dec 5, 2012
I thank you very much for your answers.

I have not plugged the tablet into the mac yet, will try it tomorrow and will let you Know.

I have not made any changes to the tablet, it is as it came from the store, is that the starting point for doing Vampirefo's procedure?, or do I have to do something before?

Will try downloading the android SDK for mac.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
You found the right thread. all you need is right here for root and recovery. Once you've done that with backups, you can try any mods or roms and if you do'nt like them, you can load your backup.

The ADB part of the android SDK may be an option. Make sure you get it. That is the reason for dowloading the SDK.

flacodav

Dec 5, 2012
Yes, I got ADB when downloading SDK. When I open ADB, it opens a terminal window and displays a series of text lines.

Do I have to paste each of Vampirefo's commands bellow those text lines, using the same terminal window ADB opened?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Yes, I got ADB when downloading SDK. When I open ADB, it opens a terminal window and displays a series of text lines.

Do I have to paste each of Vampirefo's commands bellow those text lines, using the same terminal window ADB opened?

Ok. you've got the idea. But first on tablet go to settings / development and then check Android Debugging.

With the tablet plugged in type "adb devices" If every thing is right it will list 1 device. at this point you can enter Vampirefo's commands.

Remember, when he says you may want to make a backup, MAKE A BACKUP !

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

you don't open adb directly, you open a terminal in the terminal you type the path to adb, in my case I put adb in my path so I only need to type adb to get adb to work.

flacodav

Dec 5, 2012
Ok. you've got the idea. But first on tablet go to settings / development and then check Android Debugging.

With the tablet plugged in type "adb devices" If every thing is right it will list 1 device. at this point you can enter Vampirefo's commands.

Remember, when he says you may want to make a backup, MAKE A BACKUP !

Ok, I thank you very much for your advice, I am new to Android devices, so I will look for someone who can sit with me and do this, so I make sure I don´t ruin the tablet. If I find someone who can help me, will let you know about the result.

flacodav

Dec 5, 2012
you don't open adb directly, you open a terminal in the terminal you type the path to adb, in my case I put adb in my path so I only need to type adb to get adb to work.

Thank you, may this work on an imac?, using the "terminal.app" that comes with it?