[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
To get flash to work properly on beta2 I just had to uninstall and reinstall it a couple times from market. It works great for me now. Also most internet browser let one change the user agent from mobile to desktop, that may work but I do have problems with that in youtube sometimes.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Have we figured out a fix for the lockup during sleep issue with this ROM?

Nope. Not much talk about it and it hardly happens (to me), enough to be concerned.

Beta rom = buggy rom

@rico2001 I was trying to get to this same flash video so I can compare with my sd version of 2.2. It kept switching me to the mobile site. Any clues what I am doing wrong?

Tell your browser not to use mobile view.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@rico2001 Thanks that worked. I set it to Desktop rather than Android. I noticed that you are using Dolphin HD. I am using Dolphin mini. The video Lady Gaga - Born this Way was about the same, maybe a hair more choppy off of SD Froyo. Sorry, thanks button is not showing again on my mac. I tried going to hulu, since my Flash 10.1.120.1-fixed.apk was identified as window. The Flash shows were just blank. Are you able to run hulu shows with your 10.1.106.16 version?

Did anybody do the modification to 10.1.106.16 that I listed earlier in this thread? If so what were your results?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@rico2001 Thanks that worked. I set it to Desktop rather than Android. I noticed that you are using Dolphin HD. I am using Dolphin mini. The video Lady Gaga - Born this Way was about the same, maybe a hair more choppy off of SD Froyo. Sorry, thanks button is not showing again on my mac. I tried going to hulu, since my Flash 10.1.120.1-fixed.apk was identified as window. The Flash shows were just blank. Are you able to run hulu shows with your 10.1.106.16 version?

Did anybody do the modification to 10.1.106.16 that I listed earlier in this thread? If so what were your results?

No I don't have hulu working although I thought I was close at one point. Have tried a bunch of tricks, tweaks and flash versions. The issues is more with the browser or app than the flash. How us phone guys get it to work is to trick hulu into thinking you are viewing from a pc not a phone, tab, basically android.

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
Im loving this rom so far, much more so than the phiremod with the CM7 base. I'm only having one problem, which is the small keyboard. I figured it was an lcd density issue so I tried several different settings, but even then it only helped very little. Is there a known fix for this issue?

Edit: After messing around for a bit, I found that the stock multi-touch keyboard is sized correctly in landscape but not in portrait. Has anyone encountered this issue? Reminds me of the problems some gingerbread keyboard ports were having early on.

Last edited:

MazoMark

Mar 1, 2011
I'm looking for a daily Froyo ROM that is dependable. I thought this was ticket - read through everything on this post and over at XDA. On this post, enthusiasm seemed pretty high at first, but appears to have dropped off in last week or so.

For those still using this ROM - are you happy with it and is it stable enough for daily use? If you went back to 2.1 (or something else), what was straw that broke camel's back for you?

I've got the download, I'm all backed up so I can easily use CWR to revert back to current state if I want - but just looking for a little more feedback before I pull the trigger.

Thanks all.

Mark

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'm looking for a daily Froyo ROM that is dependable. I thought this was ticket - read through everything on this post and over at XDA. On this post, enthusiasm seemed pretty high at first, but appears to have dropped off in last week or so.

For those still using this ROM - are you happy with it and is it stable enough for daily use? If you went back to 2.1 (or something else), what was straw that broke camel's back for you?

I've got the download, I'm all backed up so I can easily use CWR to revert back to current state if I want - but just looking for a little more feedback before I pull the trigger.

Thanks all.

Mark

Its great and definitely a daily driver.

This says it all:
I thought I would start this thread so we could get a feel for where everyone is at. Please let us know what you are running and what works and what doesn't work for you.

I am running...
-phiremod beta2 custom rom
-1.1ghz kernel

Everything basically works...
-youtube
-flash
-nintendo 64 emulator
-email
-talk
-launchers
And more

Problems....
-Have to toggle wifi off and on after sleep
-black on black menu items
-have to turn screen off then on quickly to improve touch responsiveness.
-shutsdown at sleep sometimes

sent from my rooted nook color

I'm just going to copy your opening post Steve since this is what I run and you description is spot on. No more, no less.

I would add the problems listed are totally livable, I don't have a touch responsiveness issue and the wifi issue is fixable by using wake take, works great, all should use or look into if your wifi has issues staying up.

I'm only off this rom and back to 2.1 b/c the mod team is working on faqs for the forum.

MazoMark

Mar 1, 2011
You convinced me and I'm now on board. The smoothest procedure I've ever run, thanks to detailed instructions from Faceman. Loaded all my backed up apps from TiBu and everything seems to be working fine. Haven't downloaded Flash yet - that's probably next.

I'm going to stay on 800 mhz kernel for a few days and let things "settle in". Then I may try to overclock this.

So far, this looks great - just what I was hoping for.

Mark

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
You convinced me and I'm now on board. The smoothest procedure I've ever run, thanks to detailed instructions from Faceman. Loaded all my backed up apps from TiBu and everything seems to be working fine. Haven't downloaded Flash yet - that's probably next.

I'm going to stay on 800 mhz kernel for a few days and let things "settle in". Then I may try to overclock this.

So far, this looks great - just what I was hoping for.

Mark

Great to hear, another satisfied NC owner running 2.2. :)

note: just DL adobe flash from the market, run a browser or youtube and see if the flash is nice and smooth. If not uninstall it, reboot (not mandatory). then reinstall it from the market again.

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Hi everyone. After reading all the positive comments about the phiremod beta 2, I decided to install it on my NC.

I carefully followed all the instructions (i.e., the "step by step" guide by faceman in post# 99) and created a bootable CWR SD card and placed the phiremod_nook_BETA2.zip on to the root of the SD card. I wiped both caches and formatted \system and \data. I selected phiremod_nook_BETA2.zip to install and saw "installed successfully" message. Unmounted SD card and hit reboot with the excitement of anticipation. To my surprise and disappointment, I am stuck in a reboot loop. First, the "touch the future of reading" screen appears, then "n" shows up for a second, and it goes into CWR and I am presented with CWR main menu. I tried rebooting few times, but the results is always the same. I never installed CWR and only used the bootable SD version.

If you could help me get out of this reboot loop, I'd appreciate it. Needless to say I am a bit :(

Thanks!

EDIT: Went back to 2.1 using CWR restore. Sucks that my first experience of flashing via CWR was not a success :(

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I saw that too but what 1.1 kernel were they using? The omap one?

sent from my rooted nook color

I used this new kernel from xda, update-froyo-dalingrin-OC-emmc-030811.zip. Could not find a md5sum for it. I then used SetCPU to set at 1100. Seems to work fine. I will be setting the SetCPU profiles shortly.

Edit: there is now a new version ...030811A.zip

Link to xda thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Hi everyone. After reading all the positive comments about the phiremod beta 2, I decided to install it on my NC.

I carefully followed all the instructions (i.e., the "step by step" guide by faceman in post# 99) and created a bootable CWR SD card and placed the phiremod_nook_BETA2.zip on to the root of the SD card. I wiped both caches and formatted \system and \data. I selected phiremod_nook_BETA2.zip to install and saw "installed successfully" message. Unmounted SD card and hit reboot with the excitement of anticipation. To my surprise and disappointment, I am stuck in a reboot loop. First, the "touch the future of reading" screen appears, then "n" shows up for a second, and it goes into CWR and I am presented with CWR main menu. I tried rebooting few times, but the results is always the same. I never installed CWR and only used the bootable SD version.

If you could help me get out of this reboot loop, I'd appreciate it. Needless to say I am a bit :(

Thanks!

EDIT: Went back to 2.1 using CWR restore. Sucks that my first experience of flashing via CWR was not a success :(

Yes someone else wad having problems with this last night...

Can you can confirm that the rom file is around 88mb? And that it is the beta2 one not v2?

Also which version of clockwork are you using?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011

Thanks!

After you unmounted the SD card, did you remove it to be safe before the reboot?